New Race. Orcs?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Faerwynd
Sojourner

New Race. Orcs?

Postby Faerwynd » Thu Mar 01, 2001 8:50 pm

Sure has been a lot of talk about orcs lately. Anyone have the inside scoop that they're the new race?

*hiccup*

Hope it's something cooler than orcs.
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Thu Mar 01, 2001 9:28 pm

i vote for goblins or kobolds!! i wanna play a little anoying rat that cant do much of anything but hide behind others! it would be sooooo much fun to RP (*boggle* why do i always like the usless classes :P)
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Thu Mar 01, 2001 9:56 pm

it's gonna be something better than orcs i hope. sea elves! yeah! no no. hmm how bout HYDRALISKS! yes! thats what the new race is gonna be. hydralisks.

saitcho
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:24 pm

Hmmmm . . .

Troll: "So what are you?"
Hydralisk: "Musssst . . . sssserve . . . hivvvvvve . . . "
Troll: "What? Throg no understand."
Hydralisk: "Musssst . . . asssssimilate . . .."
Troll: "Say hello to my little frien . . . Ahhh! Get it off! Get it off!"
Hydralisk: *claw, claw, bite, munch, munch, munch*

Trel, who's played way too many Blizzard games.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Mar 01, 2001 11:33 pm

Doh! I just started a new thread just like this on the general discussion board! Image

My guess was either half-orc (bleh) or githyanki. Image

But it could be orc... Who knows...

Nizrath
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 01, 2001 11:42 pm

The new race will be Borg.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:14 am

Borg! We will all be assimilated! *flee*

Half-orc = fodder

my vote is for minotaur. rar!
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:42 am

Personally, I think that the race selection is fine the way it is.

-Z
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Mar 02, 2001 3:38 am

Githyanki could be an interesting choice, but there is that slight problem with their relation with illithids . . . namely that as a race the priorities of the githyanki are to 1) Kill every illithid in existence, 2) Destroy every illithid city in existence, 3) turn every elder brain in existence into a bloody puree, 4) doing things to illithid tadpoles akin to dumping a an entire salt shaker on a banana slug, 5) wipe out the githzerai in their racial/civil war, 6) expand their power on the prime material plane in order to facilitate 1-5, 7) repeat 1-4 as needed as they establish themselves on various worlds as they go plane-hopping, and 8) burn all the illithid corpses just to make sure they're dead, are staying dead, and won't rise up as undead either. Just a SLIGHT bit of genocidal anomosity after evolving from humans under the enslavement of illithids for many, many years =p
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:04 am

Trel... what's the matter with that? Image

I think it might be Githyanki... apparently Githyanki can be anti-paladins, and Cyric hinted that humans aren't going to be the only race allowed to be antis Image Unless that other race is Drow (which I can't see being antis), I think there's a good chance that Githyanki will be put in.

Idle speculation that will most likely get me in trouble hehe.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Ghardok
Sojourner

Postby Ghardok » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:30 am

Well yeah Trel that may be that Githyanki truly do hate them all in the real ad&d and whatnot, but this is not the exact ad&d. I mean if it was then we could all go as far as to say it makes no sense that all elves group with dwarves as some elves have an intense hatred for them, or humans even and especially barbarians. Then vice versa with humans hating elves for such reasons, or the like. Then the fact that illithids want to enslave everyone, I mean you can literally say that every race wouldn't really make sense to group with each other, but the point is to make it evil vs good in some sense, though not through pkilling obviously. And if you did make each race only group with certain kinds, then everyone would once again complain that "oh whine we can't do this because we don't have xxxx class to do this zone", so in all fairness and to make balance easier they just change things a wee bit. Not everything has to make perfect sense, just as much as possible to make things flow well but you also have to take balance into consideration. Just a quick point.....
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:52 am

Actually Githanki seems to be an interesting choice since it would open up another psiconist race (possibly). There are problems though. Would they get innate plane shift or start on the material plane? If they dont get plane shift will they have to wait till someone gets gate to get onto the material plane? If they do get plane shift would this be unbalencing?

Id rather not see races like orc and half orc since there are much better choices for casters, clerics and warriors for evils already.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:36 am

There tends to be mistrust between dwarves and elves, but that doesn't mean that they're trying to eliminate each other on sight except in times of war. Illithids may want to enslave every other race, but they're not as intense about it as the githyanki are about visiting genocide on the squiddies. Obviously they could definately be a viable evil race, but I think that something should be coded in to reflect the fact that the githyanki race's primary purpose is the complete eradication of another evil race. It would definately make things more interesting =p

Still, I do have a few other reservations for making githyanki a new evil race that I've since had time to recollect after many, many hours of classes. Mainly that the githyanki aren't at home on the prime material plane. I'd rather see a new evil race that's more focused on the prime material than the githyanki. But I'm getting a bit tired so I can't really sort through my brain for examples of what I'd like to see right now.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:30 am

I would like to voice a loud voice against gith. There are hundreds of better choices, ones that have more affect on "forgotten realms" and IMHO Sojourn. I personally would rather see pixies or something then gith. *rolls eyes*
Ghardok
Sojourner

Postby Ghardok » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:36 pm

Trying to think of the new race that is possibly coming in and it seems kind of hard to think of evil ones that they might add, since that anti-pal fer evil race thing was mentioned. Assuming of course anti-pals wont be yuan-ti or drow it really lowers it, though now that I think about it...no one mentioned duergar anti-pals? Just a few racial ideas though that *could* be there..
Firbolg/svirfneblin/gnoll/kobold(I like this one personally)/then the more boring goblin, orc, or half-orc. The only reason the half-orc might make sense is that its quite easy to see them being a anti-pal, not to mention I remember hearing something about trying to get evil raced bards...and a half-orc bard with the right heritage wouldn't be to far off.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:56 pm

Delete this Image

[This message has been edited by belleshel (edited 03-02-2001).]
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:57 pm

As far as I know the svirfneblin (deep gnome) is not an evil race, and its religion is highly earth based (shamans that summon mentals ect), so that rules out another 'ap' race. Personally I think they should add slug as a race, its stinky, not real bright, and leaves a slime trail, very fitting for some of our players Image
Ragorn (Slug) stands here.
Seriously thou Tre brings up a good point about giths, doesn't make much sense for them to be added. I do like the ideas of things like aquatic-elves (if they could actually use the oceans, more underwater zones, mobs, ect. Minos, Thris, Goblins all work, but I like to keep things duris has done away from sojourn if possible.

Cambions might be an option (demon mom/human father, or the other way around forgot which atm), give them good smarts, mr, some innates perhaps, but make them terribly hard to play (outcasts from a lot of towns)...but perhaps welcomed on some planes..the end result another evil race that can play many guilds, very strong, but difficult to play.
Is it quitting time yet?
Belle

Bringing religion to the realms would add a ton of guild/combos that would make things intresting..forgot if this is on tap for alpha, or future.
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:38 pm

My money is on Saugheim (sp?) Scuba Peeps Image
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:36 pm

Deep gnomes are generally considered a good race, though they have strong neutral tendancies. That'd be an interesting thing: a goodie race that has the same daylight restricts as drow/duergar. And they love to conjure earthies too!

Sahuagin! woot! An underwater race would rock! That'd definately be a cool way for the mud to expand...sahuagin and sea elves!

Izzy
Elarin
Sojourner

Postby Elarin » Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:05 am

Everyone seems to be assuming that the new race will be evil, anyone have any ideas on what it might be if it's a good race? I've seen Snirfneblin in someone's post, how about centaurs, satyrs, protoss...

just my random late-nite babbling

Elarin
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:26 am

Didn't I read somewhere that they have expanded the mud to some other seas? Hint hint? New continents, new races, etc. etc.?

Personally, I would like to see a vampire race. This race will be the human equivalent on the evil side. Stronger and smarter than normal humans with innate vampiric bite ability. Downside being constant hp reduction in daylight -> %% in daylight and you are dead =) Forever doom to live a life in secrecy. Heheh.

You know, a werewolf race would be fun too! I mean, the mud has all the codes for these races already. Just make them player playable. It doesn't matter if they are niche races like halfling it would still be fun!

Wargo
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Mar 03, 2001 11:38 am

Vampirism and lycanthrophy are usually considered curses and as far as I know there is not such race in D&D... In white wolf there is but shrug... I dont mean to be offensive, but I think there are other good possibilities. Image
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sat Mar 03, 2001 3:52 pm

The reason many of us are speculating that the new race is evil is because there are 7 goodie races and only 6 evils. Thus adding a new evil race would bring balance to the Force... er, the mud. In case you forget, the goodie races are: barbarian, dwarf, grey elf, gnome, half-elf, halfling, and human. For evils, we have: drow, duergar, illithid, ogre, troll and yuan-ti.

I still like githyanki as the new evil race despite the opposition to them. I think they are highly RPable, can be several different classes and overall interesting to play. If you want to argue that they are out of place, I'll just say so are illithids. *shrug*

I'm just going to dismiss the aquatic race thing for now, since I don't think there will be enough underwater zones to justify bringing in sea elves and/or sahuagin (however you spell em). Plus, sahuagin aren't very bright meaning that they would only be warriors and rogues. I'd rather play a hill giant warrior than a sahuagin warrior.

Oh well, my two copper...

Nizrath
Elarin
Sojourner

Postby Elarin » Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:35 pm

7 goodie races?
Elf
Dwarf
Gnome
Halfling
that's 4 5 if you count halfelf

Humans and barbarians(and arguably halfelfs) are a neutral race

Evils have
Trolls
Ogres
Yuanti
Illithids
Drow
Duergar

looking at it this way, the goodies are the ones needing more numbers.

I know that humans and barbarians can't group with evil races, but in terms of the 'racewar' idea these are the sides as I see them.

My 2 coppers of the day
Elarin
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:50 pm

Give ne a break, there are 2 sides, and barbs and humans are DIFINITELY on the good side. Are you saying they are on their own side? Sorry but your post sounds like crap to me.

On a side note, I'd rather that goodies get a new race. Evils have gotten yuan-ti and drow and we don't need any other stinkin' race. Besides, goodies could use some fun too all the coding has been for evils lately.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:34 am

*Cheer cherzra* I agree. Everything, a large part of the coding before shutdown was going towards evils. They are already significantly powerful without another race. Give goodies a new race Image.

Or not, I thought it was fine how it was, but I don't really think it matters who gets the new race, as long as it dosent have a stupidly long list of innates.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 04, 2001 9:46 pm

The new race is gonna be Muppets! *nog me*

Just imagine walking to TP and seeing this:

Kermit (Muppet) stands here.

Kermit says 'I am Kermit theee frog! I must smite Ragorn with my Unholy Avenger!'

Or even...

Beaker (Muppet) stands in mid-air here.

Beaker group-says 'meepmeepmeemuffameebormefaormee!!!!!'
Beaker sizes up Tiamat with a quick glance.
Beaker starts casting an offensive spell.
Beaker completes his spell...
Beaker utters the words 'inferno'

Or even....

Miss Piggy (Muppet) stands here.

Miss Piggy shouts 'bard looking for work and food! no pork please!'
Miss Piggy sings a song that makes you hurt all over.
Miss Piggy fondly fondles Gormal's behind.
<B>Kermit OOC: Aaaaagh! She's back!
Miss Piggy OOC: My sweet!</B>

See? It would rock! I know Kajib would probably roll up Gonzo so I'm not using that name. :P

Yas
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:27 pm

We wuv you Yasamonkey! Pure Vertigo!
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 04, 2001 11:14 pm

It's Pur3 V3rt|g0, you gomer! :P
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:49 am

New race? Well I hate to stray towards Duris practice, but the way it looks now, the races are pretty much balanced, so how about a neutral race that has a different set of classes depending on which side of the race war you're on? Like maybe having Minos that could be AP for evils (giving them an AP race), and shamans for goodies (giving goodies 2 shaman races)... then along with that have them be warriors and rogues or something. Not real sure what you could do with them other than AP/Warr/Shaman, but could be a neat idea
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:09 am

Heh sorry, but in my opinion mino antis are silly. The only race which fits the anti is human.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:48 pm

Humans, Half-orcs and Orogs in my mind fit the anti-paladin.. paladin... chasis. That is it though, no other race comes close. I would be severly discouraged if I see a bug anti, or mino anti, gith anti.. It just seems wrong.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Mon Mar 05, 2001 4:03 pm

Um, Galok, one of the first things I ever read about anti's was in githyanki race/class descriptions. Githyanki knights are anti's from what I read. So, I definately see githyanki as anti's. I'd see a githyanki anti way before I see an orog anti. I'd buy a half-orc anti purely on the fact that there is a little (well, half) human in them. I do agree that mino or thri-kreen antis are a big no, no.

And people, stop with the neutral race crap. There aren't any *neutral* races. Humans and barbarians are inheriently GOOD races. Yeah, there are evil humans and barbies, and there are evil elves and dwarves too. You want to call all goodie races neutral on that fact? Sheesh, please don't say neutral with race together again. Please... (sorry that I exploded, but that really, really *bugs* me)

Thanks and have a nice day! Image

Nizrath
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:44 pm

Actually, I think humans fall under the goodie category by default. They're mainly neutral (and the goods and evils in the race are supposed to equal each other out though that doesn't happen quite as much now without monks and dbones =P) but they're not going to be working with the evil races even if they are neutral. Ditto with barbs. Basically, the "neutral" races as described in help racewars winds up in the goodie camp since they don't fall in the evil camp.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:09 am

I would have to agree, it is most probably muppets. There has been talk of the changes to the range wepon system and this is obviously to accomadat the fish throwing activites. The stern resolve that monks wont be introduced are because miss piggy's karate is much more fitting to the sojourn theme. gonzo has also been know to throw ninja stars (or starfish) in some instances, so i believe that the new muppet race is the reason that rogues were made. The new muppet race will have set abilitys for goodies, such as an ilithid for evils.

help skill_muppet

level 1: Be Fuzzy, Contsrict Humanoid Hand, Song of Opening (to anounce arrival not to be confused with lockpicking or such)

level 4: Crush Cookies, Plane Shift

level 8: Karate Chop, Throw Fish

level 10: Tell Joke (see note for bear muppet), Fling Self

level 15: Play Piano, Destroy Human Mind

level 25: Ride Bicycle, Song of Joy, Song of Taming Clan Swamp Hunter

level 35: Around this stage of a muppets career they will have lost a substantial amount of fuz and will no longer fit into the sojourn theme, focus will be placed on god run quests for the lower level muppets until they make a comeback at level 42. Skill - Scare Children

level 42: Resurection, Grow Hair, Ventriliquate (some muppets may be able to sound different to what people remember them as sounding like)

level 44: Summon Celebrity Appearance

level 46: Space Travel

level 48: Appear on Merchandise
"Ladak wields kermits sword of destruction"

level 49: Explode

level 50: Song of Closure, Move Eyeballs Independantly of Head (quest)
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:41 am

HA HA HA HA!!!!!

gawd darn that was funny! "kermits longsword of destruction"... rofl "move eyes independently of head (quest)" lol!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:42 am

Githzerai. Githzerai!!!

and myconids! Image
Morek
Sojourner

Postby Morek » Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:05 pm

I think it's pretty obvious that the new race will be either kender or gully dwarves from the DL series, they're the only logical choices. Image
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Tue Mar 27, 2001 12:37 am

*bump*

Anyone with any inside knowledge actually know what the new race will be? It was alluded (elluded) to that Anti-Paladins would be available to both good and evil races, and since APs didn't have a home with any of the old races...

God I hope its not orcs. I'd much rather have it be Githyanki and have my hometown be Astral than have orcs.
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:14 am

I believe it was previously stated that the new race would not be published until opening, I could be wrong though.

Oh how I would love to be able to play a stinky green goblin again, but I doubt that will happen.

I agree though, give it to the goodies.

T
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:15 am

I believe it was previously stated that the new race would not be published until opening, I could be wrong though.

Oh how I would love to be able to play a stinky green goblin again, but I doubt that will happen.

I agree though, give it to the goodies.

T
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Tue Mar 27, 2001 3:00 am

I think that orcs would be a good choice for an evil race. Most who played orcs would be AP's, as long as the class was opened to the race. This would give someone a reason to play an evil AP, because the orc would be a bit bigger than the human AP, and therefor could offer considerably more to a group of troll and ogre hitters. The human AP would still be able to group with the evils of course (I think that's what waelos put in the post), but they'd also be a part of goodie groups.

On the flip side, it would definitly add a lot more seperation between goodies and evils.

Sel
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:32 am

Selias, but Waelos was apparently wrong on a few things in his post according to Shev and I'm willing to hazard a guess that human antis and necros having free grouping with both evils and goodies may have been one of those things.

We'll have to wait for Shev to post more info.
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:52 am

I think Tempus posted something about this in the tread about human necros and lich. He said human necros and antos can only group with the good side of the race coin.
Thorlin
Sojourner

Postby Thorlin » Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:00 am

Ever any thought to wood elves and high elves?.. with the addition of drow the only elves left out would be wood/high/aquatic. course im not sure how the logistics of aquatic elves would work out.
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:31 am

I'm in favor of 2 new races (and the same as mentioned on previous posts). Theese races should be orc and half-orc. Not for that AP stuff, I think AP is human only.
But to allow evil race casters without being blind the half time. It would be nice if evil races got an extra race that can be cleric or wizard.
And a half-orc that can enter good and evil home towns. I think the half-orc I like most, I want to see every spot of this mud and not being able to enter all home town hinders me in this.
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:50 pm

type 'who orc'
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Wed Apr 25, 2001 1:00 pm

I think the Githyanki, would be a perfect supplement to the races and should be the last race to be put in. They can pretty much be same as human classes too. Now people think innate planeshift would be unfair; well it wouldn't.

First off after the new githyanki city is made off of the astral plane, you can make a "stronghold" on the prime material plane, either in Underdark, or on some different island or continent. Between these to places is a gate, that is one way; similar to the gate on EM to mainland. Also they cannot leave until say 21-26. Have gith to planeshift to prime is just TOOOOO dangerous, and silly. Anyway, when the gith have to go back to there city they planeshift to astral. Now here comes the fun. All the mobs on astral are not aggro to them but a certain few; namely the 2 Demon Lords, and succubus and mariliths. That is about 10 mobs I think maybe 12. Anyway 10-12 aggro mobs out of a 125 zone room is nice, 10% change that the gith will get jacked P-). So when they travel to there home land probably want to go in a group.
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Wed Apr 25, 2001 4:40 pm

well considering i cant play my ap human w/ my evil buddies i am hoping for an evil who can go ap but not something like orc. one of the gith races might be nice. no race is neutral anymore, aps and nercos cant group w/ evils so now humans are goodies

------------------
Thurg, Gramordues, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
Thorlin
Sojourner

Postby Thorlin » Mon Apr 30, 2001 2:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thurg:
<B>well considering i cant play my ap human w/ my evil buddies i am hoping for an evil who can go ap but not something like orc. one of the gith races might be nice. no race is neutral anymore, aps and nercos cant group w/ evils so now humans are goodies

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think by D&D standards Gith can be anti's.. at least I think i saw that in the monster manual awhile back.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”