Squids to be replaced!!!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Joth
Sojourner

Squids to be replaced!!!!

Postby Joth » Thu May 24, 2001 4:05 am

Friends and I were talking about races, and evils in general. And what new race would fit. We still come to the gythikanyi. But they don't work well with the Illithids. Well replace the illithids with the gythikanyi race. The gyths can be psionist, and then more, antipaladins pretty much all the races humans can be.

Make them similar to elves where they can't leave there area in astral for like 10 levels then they portal through to an establish stronghold inthe underdark. And when they need to get back the planeshift back, with only the 2 lords, succubus, and marliths argo to them. 1/10 chance pretty much of getting attack when the do planeshift back to there main city.

personally I just think the gith is much more robust race then the illithids.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 24, 2001 5:18 am

This would bring Sojourn closer to being a carbon copy of Duris and Basternae Image

Giths on Duris can be antis or psis, and spawn on the astral plane right outide the gith fortress zone. They have to innate shift down to prime to join the other players.

I'm pretty much against race or class changes that mirror Duris, on principle.

- Ragorn

Postby Guest » Thu May 24, 2001 4:27 pm

There will be no gith of any type. However, we recognize that there are a few problems with psionicists right now. I am in the midst of a comprehensive review of the class, and once I am done, expect some changes. I wanted to get them done before we opened, but like a few other things, there just wasn't enough time.

--D2
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Thu May 24, 2001 4:56 pm

Muds being similar is one thing but carbon copy I would say no. But still bring in orcs, was okay. But personally I think most people would agree bring in the giths as a replacement to both orcs and illithids. I just think it is a waste, that you have a race that can only be one class. giths are but much more robust race that the evils need I think. Is it only me and my friends who play this think this. I remember previous post that people would rather the giths than orcs was the general consensus. But bedcause the Illithids was in was very good roleplaying.

But if you get rid of the squids, and put in the giths, and still doesn't really effect the psi class because giths are psionic.

And I am not trying to compare one mud with another, we are just thinking what would make the mud better, and more enjoyable.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu May 24, 2001 5:39 pm

I hate giths. They are stupid and would make a horrible addition to the mud. They are like drow, everyobody wants to be one they are so jolly popular.

Illithids are great. They fit PERFECTLY into sojourn. The UD layout is wonderful, Ixaarkon fits in perfectly. They enhance evils in a very nice way. God knows why everyone is suddenly yelling for giths. You say almost everyone would want giths in the game instead of orcs and illithids? Hell, you can count me out.

Cherzra ANTIGITH
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu May 24, 2001 5:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>I hate giths. They are stupid and would make a horrible addition to the mud. They are like drow, everyobody wants to be one they are so jolly popular.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[51 Psionisct] Azrech - NO BRAIN NO GAIN! [Githyanki]

Seriously, githyanki does not really fit do they? I mean.. they are an astral race, and illithids are nice underdark denizens.

/Jegzed

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 05-24-2001).]
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Thu May 24, 2001 7:21 pm

haha good post Jegzed.

oh, I also do not like the idea of yanking squids even if as Joth mentions it would add a class/race diversity.

Joth do you play evil (just curious)?

Azz

Hrmm, Oh the imms have said that only humans will be antis. Kinda dead subject.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri May 25, 2001 2:32 am

Believe it or not, they were suggesting that orcs could be anti-paladins. And a buncha evils shot that idea down.
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri May 25, 2001 4:05 am

Alright then,

hehe looks like we had a bad idea then. Just thought would be an added dimension, and make things a little more dynamic.
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri May 25, 2001 4:05 am

O yeah other thing illiths are an astral race too, specially if you go by spell jammer.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri May 25, 2001 8:21 pm

Sojourn is based on Forgotten Realms, though.

Yayaril
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Fri May 25, 2001 8:28 pm

Yeah, well, I've read nearly all of the forgotten realms books, and gith's never seemed that big to me. For me personally, I started playing sojourn because of how much it was like FR. To me, adding gith's would take away from that. The races/classes are awesome as they are now. Why change anything?
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri May 25, 2001 11:24 pm

from what i heard change is bad. very very bad. no more changes to mud.
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Sat May 26, 2001 11:06 pm

Not adding a race because of another mud is rediculous. Githyanki were a Forgotten Realms race long before they were a mob on Sojourn, and were a mob on Sojourn long before they were a race on Duris. They're a cool race, and would be a great addition. Maybe we shouldn't have evil and good races because Duris has that feature. Give me a break! One of the best aspects of a mud is how many choices you're given.

------------------
Jaeron -Shadowstalker, Merc for Hire, at your service.
Thorlin
Sojourner

Postby Thorlin » Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:15 am

I agree that Gith are more "robust" or universal. but i also agree with Cherzra that EVERYONE would be one.. Gith are supposed to be extremely rare, they live in little cults and among those cults are anti paladins as like leaders.. (gimme some leeway im REALLY generalizing in comparison to their background) I don't see them as being real condusive to the mud as is.. Another thing I was wondering about, why are illithids the only ones allowed for psionics?.. im not trying to power imbalance or whatever, but in FR (yea i know..LOOSELY BASED) anyone can be a psionicist, and at the very least have wild psionic talents. If it is purely to give the evils something the goods dont have, cool, i can handle that reason..if not, what?.. and..oh yea =)..ever thought about wildmages? >=) i think thatd' be fun..put some crazy proc for a wild surge.. anyways, all i had to say =) hasta
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sun Jun 10, 2001 4:06 am

well squids were originaly brought in because evils did not have any sorc or druid class. They were given abilities to sorta fill in the hole where well and gate were needed as well as high level spell damage. Since evils now have mage classes squids are a bit outta place.

On the gith side of the discussion I realy dont think there is any reason to bring them in. It wouldn't add anything significant to the mud.
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Sun Jun 10, 2001 12:22 pm

If squids got a problem its that they can't be much classes atm. If you look closer to the race descriptions about squids you will see, that squids also can be priests and a rogue like class (or atleast in the stories). It could even be argues (when the elemetalists [old conjurers]) they can be mages, along to the story lines.

This would open up a few more things for squids.
Salenthelor
Sojourner

Postby Salenthelor » Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:26 pm

Bah forget Gith's what we need is......
BEHOLDERS. Think of the eq fun nothing but eyes, but lots of them.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:30 am

*agrees* Sok

*ROFL* Salenthelor

shout WTB: 50 purple patches please people

Sarell Group-Says "What you bidding on eye boy?... oh yer never mind"
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Mon Jun 11, 2001 5:56 pm

To hell with Gith. Cherzra pegged it dead on, who wouldn't be one? Squids on Soj are a very powerful class/race combo, but also the weakest people next to halflings at times. Being blind half the day isn't any fun, and having less hps then a human necro doesn't make it any better. I'm not sure who has more, an old gnome sorc or a squid on soj? Anyone ever play both and give a good comparison?

Like D2 said, the class is under review, and good too, cuz they are nutso, and I say that as an evil supporter/past player. They are out of control. As soon as they get Dominate, it turns into unlimited casting ability for them with those mind blasts and other juicy stuff. Course at 50th level with under 200hps means they die a ton in area casting on the negative side.

I wouldn't want to see any other race put into the game to be a psionicst. The whole coolness behind squids having to eat thing's brains to fuel their abilities is just a kickass concept. Keep it that way. It's dark. It's demonic. It's Evils!

I also stand against the idea to allow orcs as anti-paladins. They are just too short, weak, fugly, and stupid. I don't even understand how they got the Battlechanter class. If any evil race should have received a Bard class.. shoulda been drow all the way. Well drow and duergar I suppose. A troll playing a drum? He'd eat it. An ogre playing a drum? He'd smoosh it. An orc playing a drum? Duh, wut's a drum? An illithid playing a drum? No brains no dice. A Yuan-ti playing a drum? No thanks, doesn't make an Sssss sound.

One thing I never quite understood, well besides wut I just mentioned of course, was why drow never had an underdark ranger type? I suppose people are gonna be ready to say, Well cuz everyone would wanna be a Drizzt clone blah blah blah. Would everyone really? I know Pestacio Greystorm would, but how many other people would seriously roll up a drow UD ranger? No I'm not implying taking the ranger class and allowing drow to be one, I mean more if an anti-ranger type of thing, one geared solely to the underdark environments.

I really don't see what the big deal is if 50 people wanna be a Drizzt clone. So farking what. Looks like more players to just add to the mud to me. Would that really be a bad thing? Would it? How long would they stay as that class/race combo before they changed to something else?

Oh well. Guess I just miss the days of 500+ players logged on.

Don't you?

To sum up:
Gith = Leave us on the astral plane. And don’t even think about adding NUETRAL races like that other place this guy who’s talking about us apparently wants Soj to be more like. *eyeroll*

Orcs = Who asked for them in the first place? What a waste. “No, I swear I could make a good warrior if there wasn’t ogres and trolls already. I’d be a spiffy shaman … if there wasn’t killer Yuans who are ten times better at it then I could be. But I could make a great cleric.. if there wasn’t duergar…or drow. Psionicist? I’d need a brain to do that. Be an Enchanter, or Necro, or Invoker and cast spells? See Psionicst. Hey! Lemme be an Anti-paladin! Yeah!.. to what end? Bah!

Drow = Is being a warrior worth it right now, or should they get a underdark rangers? I’d also make a really sweet Bard type. Look at my sexy nimble fingers and curvaceous body! Hubba hubba honey!

Duergar = I could be a Bard mom, I really could!

Troll = Fire bad, drum good with swamp rat sludge!

Ogre = Hey Troll, me hONGry, ken me harv sum too?

Yuan = Sssssstep off

Illithid = This conversation and hypothetical situation is not worth my time.

Soo….

Anyone else have a good weekend? Weekend GOOD, weekdays BAD! J

Caedym Shadowpunkbuster
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 11, 2001 6:38 pm

Orcs aren't THAT dumb. And it's not like it takes squid-like intelligence to bang out a beat on a drum...

And, further, yuan-ti can't be shamans. Orcs are actually pretty balanced shamans. Compare their int/wis to that of an ogre.. Image

And even yet further, Orcs may be getting something unique soon which will give them more of a 'purpose'.

As for Drow Anti-Rangers....well I just dunno about that, other than that it sounds faintly cheesy. Why would anyone want to play one when a drow rogue would probably match them for damage, and trolls would far surpass them at tanking?

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”