Casting Spells

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Tyren
Sojourner

Casting Spells

Postby Tyren » Sun Jul 15, 2001 4:36 pm

Would it be possible to add a little something to the spellcasting code so that if you type <cast 'lightning' enemy>, the spell will keep targetting the person you were fighting, even if that good-intentioned warrior rescues you?

I don't know if targets are determined when the spell goes off, which I suppose would make this kind of hard to do...but it's an idea.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Jul 15, 2001 6:42 pm

I think many ppl make this client-side, where they set up a variable which captures what they cast at. Every spell will be automatically targetted to this variable the whole fight, might want to ask this in the 'Mud Help' forum.
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Sun Jul 15, 2001 6:53 pm

But if you do that you can have the fear of a mob with the same name walking in...I know it's happened to me before and can be very frustrating, escipecally when fighting a hard mob, as far as I know, you can't do that client side Image

Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:45 pm

I thought "!" performed the last task you entered. Also, I could program Zmud to do anything you want client side, within reason Image

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency (almost there!)
My 2 Cents

[This message has been edited by Gordex (edited 07-15-2001).]
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:13 am

Isn't he referring to the fact that if you cast a spell on your melee opponent (without specifying a target) that when you are rescued you abort your spell?

This happens to me all the time, i assist, start casting blind, get switched to, rescued, abort blind. repeat ad nauseum :P
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tyren:
<B>Would it be possible to add a little something to the spellcasting code so that if you type <cast 'lightning' enemy>, the spell will keep targetting the person you were fighting, even if that good-intentioned warrior rescues you?

I don't know if targets are determined when the spell goes off, which I suppose would make this kind of hard to do...but it's an idea.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes this has always bothered me as well. Something I should have posted on myself. It is very silly that you would stop casting your spell just becuase you got rescued. There have been many cases where I didn't even need to be rescued and the mob would have died had I been able to finish my spell.

Oh btw all you other people posting on this topic dunno what it's about... go bitch about headbutt or something Cherzra.... Image

-Jaznolg
The Notorious Tease Monster
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Jul 16, 2001 1:35 pm

I always thought this was kind of silly...
But then I thought about rescue itself, if a mob is wailing on someone the only likely way to 'rescue' him is to throw yourself into them knocking them out of the way and to safety. (or pulling, jumping in front of if space permits ect)... Following this logic if you are casting on a mob in front of you, and all of a sudden you are shoved/pulled/or someone jumps in front of you, losing your target seems pretty reasonable.
Kinda depends on what immorts envision rescue to be,
Belle

This is _not_ something you want to try to solve on the client side.
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if a mob is wailing on someone the only likely way to 'rescue' him is to throw yourself into them knocking them out of the way and to safety</font>

Or, the warrior throws him/herself on the mob and gets the mob out of the way Image.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galorion:
Or, the warrior throws him/herself on the mob and gets the mob out of the way Image.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Galorion throws himself on tiamat...you all get a good laugh and she continues to wail on you Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”