Change in Assist

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Vassar
Sojourner

Change in Assist

Postby Vassar » Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:44 am

Lets say you're tanking a mob and want to switch to the same mob as a group member is attacking. Currently, you either have to disengage and assist that person or type kill x.mob. The latter scenario can be confusing during large fights so the former is usually the preferred method, however then you have to deal with a round of lag, which could be devastating in a big fight.

Would it be possible to code the assist command to work while you're tanking so that you switch to the same target someone else is tanking? So it'd look like this:

< T: Vassar TC: excellent E: farmer EC: few wounds>
assist kiluk
You switch opponents!
< T: Kiluk TC: excellent E: berzerker EC: few wounds>

Or something to that effect.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:13 am

Hmm, good idea... even though I'm not a warrior, I like it a lot. Image
Letat
Sojourner

Postby Letat » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:19 pm

I'm not too sure, it seems to kinda cheapen the "switch opponants" skill that warriors get.

------------------
Letat N'lavalia
Slayer of Time, Defender of his own arse.
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:57 pm

how about if it only works that way for warriors or rogues (pc's that can "switch opponents")
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Letat:
<B>I'm not too sure, it seems to kinda cheapen the "switch opponants" skill that warriors get.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have to disagree... I think it would be just another way to help make switch a little more usefull/easier to use.

-Jaznolg
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:44 pm

I like this one. I there are several mobs in the room and I want to be on the same mob as a particular player, I could assist them and switch without having to know n.target. Very useful imho.

.xyd
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:59 pm

perhaps your success could even be based on the 'switch opponent' skill.

feel free to tell me I'm talking out my ear.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:57 am

I think it is a good idea to enable switch with assist. If you are tanking, you'd have to have the skill for it to work. If you are not tanking, I think it should work for all classes, since they could just disengage and then assist anyway, they wouldn't be getting a new skill.

Vadian the Rescue Ranger
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:02 pm

I thought about starting a new topic on something like this, but I guess I can post it here instead.

Why is it that casters hit a different mob when one enters the room?(I know it's the code). This is one of the most annoying things I've seen anywhere, and I just can't understand why it's been this way for so long. If you are targetting a specific mob, why would another one walking in change who you were casting on? I should figure that one would be so engrossly concentrated on the target, that another target would not even be noticed until after the spell was completed. Oh well.

Twyl
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B>I thought about starting a new topic on something like this, but I guess I can post it here instead.

Why is it that casters hit a different mob when one enters the room?(I know it's the code). This is one of the most annoying things I've seen anywhere, and I just can't understand why it's been this way for so long. If you are targetting a specific mob, why would another one walking in change who you were casting on? I should figure that one would be so engrossly concentrated on the target, that another target would not even be noticed until after the spell was completed. Oh well.

Twyl</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy fix (at least easy for me to visualize) would be to list newcomers to a room at the bottom of the list of mobs in a room.
So if you are glancing at 1.evilmage, notice his fireshield drop, type Bash 1.evilmage, right as another wizard walks into the room, you dont burn yourself to a crispy on the new 1.evilmage's fireshield.

my 2 cents and dream

Garosh
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Mon Jul 16, 2001 6:52 pm

hey, good idea. I like it

Nitania
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:45 pm

So...the idea is:

If you have the 'switch' skill, and are in combat, typing 'assist playername' (who is fighting a different target) will trigger the switch skill. And if you don't have 'switch' it'll just say 'Blah, you can't do that!' or something.

Is that right? Sounds good to me I suppose.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:49 pm

Nononono! It should say

"YOU CAN'T DO THAT FOOL, MR.T TOLD YOU TO DRINK YA MILK!"
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:08 pm

*Agree Cherzra*

- Grungar "I pity the foo" Forgefire
Vassar
Sojourner

Postby Vassar » Mon Jul 16, 2001 10:12 pm

Yes, Shev. That's exactly what I was thinking.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jul 18, 2001 8:41 pm

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”