from the general discussion forum

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
kwirl
Sojourner

from the general discussion forum

Postby kwirl » Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:17 am

ok - oops, i meant it to be just a random joke posting, but it became serious, and a lot of people have told me they liked the idea. so im gonna post it on the *proper* board.

ok, am i allowed to copy/paste? no? ok, ok - i wont cheat.

as warriors level, we have nothing to look forward to. if you say headbutt, obviously you have never played a warrior, and should seek out a warrior to correct you.

my solution was to be a *warrior only* version of the title quest, only it would be for our weapon. what does this mean? at level 50, you write a story for your character, and how you got your weapon, how that weapon has been a major part of your character's history, and what/why that weapon's name is.

does this mean a new weapon, with powers that will smite all foes? better stats, to lay waste to mighty dragons in a single strike?

sadly, no.

the weapon is the EXACT SAME stats, only renamed. perhaps even the proc (if it has one) could be restrung. NOTHING should be changed, but the description of the weapon. it is meant to supplement the warrior's otherwise lackluster life and not having anything to look forward to.

well - elaborate and critique as you will

-daz/kwirl
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:19 am

The question remains would you feel very special with every warrior and his mum running around with a named sword?

/Klurg
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:48 am

Hm, personally I think restrung weapons (and any other items) are cool, everyone wants something that makes him unique. However, I think named weapons are lame.

I mean, how original is it to see everyone with 'Cherzra's/Klurg's/Blung's/insertanyoneelse sword of doom' or 'The enormous studly 5ft club of bongo-bongo whacking'?

Personally I would say that all restrung stuff should FIT within certain margins set by the staff, i.e. a description that is unique yet matches the normal criteria which zone items have to meet. For example 'A gem-studded sword with a black blade' instead of your standard engulfed.

Unique, yet not 'named' or overblown stupid.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:53 am

The enormous studly 5ft club of bongo-bongo whacking'- anyone have one of these for trade?

Yayaril
ShadowDrake
Sojourner

Postby ShadowDrake » Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:46 pm

Kinda like character titles, huh?
Write a rp story, grab yer title.
Just cause you write a story about you defeating the tribe of Cannibalistic Lepurs doesn't mean you're gonna get the title of "the Maneater, Slayer of Bugga Bugga"

Good idea, but just gotta find a way it's not abused, and don't take up all the god's time. Maybe along the same way of titles. Hit 50, put some reasoning behind it, and let people know how you got your 'special weapon.'

Kaern Retsar, Guardian of Thromshier
<wielding 2h> Thromshier, the ancient holy blade of Tyr
Dibble
Sojourner

Postby Dibble » Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>The enormous studly 5ft club of bongo-bongo whacking'- anyone have one of these for trade?

Yayaril</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll trade you for 'The enormous studly 5ft glowing spellbook embossed with pictures of busty young gnome girls'.

Dibble.
Letat
Sojourner

Postby Letat » Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:10 pm

I'm not going to say that "if you write the story, you deserve a reward." My brother has written one story (and is working on another, I keep trying to get him to condense the two and work out a deal with WOTC to publish it), and has asked, and recieved, nothing in return for his effort.

If you tell everyone "you have to write a story!" then it turns out almost like a homework assignment. Some will come out as very excellent pieces of work. Other will be pure crap slapped together to fulfill the requirements of getting something.

I guess I said that to say things like this should be personalized. I would assume (never having been there) that immortal interaction with level 50 characters is much greater than with the rest of us. Therefore, there is plenty of opportunity for the imms to work out personal quests for a character to go on to earn a personal reward, whether it be a restring, "eternal life," a free stat bonus, or something else.

------------------
Letat N'lavalia
Slayer of Time, Defender of his own arse.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:29 pm

Well... we've already got eternal life here. Although we do get old... so maybe eternal youth? Image

Anyways, I believe the imms want to stay out of the affairs of mortals as much as possible this time around. (They've said so many times already.) So they probably wouldn't really want to make personalized quests for things like this. Think of the accusations of favoratism if Waelos's stat raising quest was even sligtly easier than Ragorn's weapon restring quest!

Sarvis
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:29 pm

i did say level 50
and if you dont WANT the story or rename, dont do it. but its an option.

i dont mean stupid renames

lets say i have a flammy at level 50, and i wanna rename it, because i like that sword

i write a story, for examply, 6 pages - about something i did with that sword that made my character name it. like "wow, if not for that sword - i could have been toast."

the MAIN point of this is to make serious RP options for warriors, and something to show for the time they spend as warriors. in NO way do i want to give warriors an edge over any other class.
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:53 pm

I like the intent of this idea very much.

However, it so quickly degenerates into the "write a story, get a reward" for so many different things.

I think it's great that people write stories of the quality that I've read so far. But I think making so many rewards in-MUD for writing a story will eventually lower the overall quality of the stories being produced.

Despite that, I definitely feel that something that enhances RP on sojourn is definitely something to seriously think about, whether or not it's a perfect solution.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:20 pm

it is not easy to write a quality story, especially of the level many write on this mud. do you think kalthanan's story, nitania's story, or any of the others were motivated by reward, even if so - the level of talent these writers display is amazing. writing a story of that caliber is not easy, and i do not EVER believe that people will just spit out these things. look at the number of level 50 players, and look at the percentage of those that have titles. if even 10-20% of the level 50 warriors in the game write a story for a title - then so be it. what if even some players write a story for a weapon instead of their title. there are a lot of options and arguments for this, and i dont honestly see a detriment to a level 50 warrior with 2 months or more of ptime getting a rename for a story that might take a few weeks for him to write.

-daz proudwolf

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”