Corpse Decay Time

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Zrax
Sojourner

Corpse Decay Time

Postby Zrax » Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:58 pm

Would increasing the decay time on a player corpse to be something level dependant be something interesting to people? I know in my opinion the 2 hour decay time on a corpse seems awful short as players get higher in level and their equipment more and more difficult to replace, and player stomping grounds stray further from their hometowns it would be nice to have a corpse decay time that was in some way dependant on the level of the player who died. I know on many occations i have died right before I planned on going to bed, and have heard of people who have died before they have had interviews or work or things of that nature, leaving them with the choice of their real life commitments or getting their corpse back. Opinions?
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:02 pm

I would love to see unlooted corpses last for 24 hours, but looted corpses decay in the 2 hours Image

2 hours can be real short if the corpse is a bit far away and a crash happens in the middle of your cr, or time is a presure point in RL.

24 hours would be great or a formule to equal this? 1RL hour/lvl ? or something...
Jorta
Sojourner

Postby Jorta » Fri Jun 22, 2001 3:06 pm

I would love to see something like this looked at as a possibility. I've made the personal decision that real life takes precedence and have just let corpses rot because I have something else to do. I would prefer not to have to do that though Image

It also becomes difficult when you are helping someone else CR their corpse and you have to say something like "ARGH! I have to get the kids to daycare and then I have a client I have to meet and then...oh dammit!"

I know the philosophy to this is "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." and that is realistic. Don't try something if you can't deal with the consequences of dying, including the CR. But I don't know if the MUD itself is getting older or it's just the people that I'm meeting are older, but many people are juggling demanding real world jobs with the pleasure of relaxing while doing some mudding. The ability to say "Ok, lets get together tomorrow evening at the same time and sort this mess out." would be a god send (no pun intended).

Also in addition to the standard 'AFK2P' message, I think we also need to standardize the 'AFK2DWK' statement - Away from keyboard to deal with kids.

Old Man Jorta

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silvea:
<B>I would love to see unlooted corpses last for 24 hours, but looted corpses decay in the 2 hours Image

2 hours can be real short if the corpse is a bit far away and a crash happens in the middle of your cr, or time is a presure point in RL.

24 hours would be great or a formule to equal this? 1RL hour/lvl ? or something...</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wanted to point out that a crash or reboot resets the decay time on corpses back to two hours.

Erevan
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Fri Jun 22, 2001 9:17 pm

I REALLLLLY like this idea.

The player base has aged. Image Because of this, its just hard to be on at 4 am trying to retrieve eq from a corpse that has rotted. I know I can speak for a lot of old time players out there when I say that - although the challenge of doing new and exciting zones is very appealing, the time constraint for some of us is too restricting. I for one would love to be able to have 1 rl hour of preservation per level of player corpse. That would make it easier for those of us who have jobs, families, or just RL commitments that we HAVE to attend to without the risk of losing equipment that took us days, months or in some cases, even years to obtain.

sometimes.... you just _HAVE_ to rent.

Nitania
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jun 22, 2001 9:24 pm

hehehe.. nods.

Back at college if I had a nasty CR, I could just stay up all night until its done and just skip class :P

But now that I'm done with that and have a RL job, I have to be careful with doing big zones during weeknights, since I wouldn't have time for the CR if it goes bad.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:15 am

I'd love to see pcorpse rot time upped a bit.

Sometimes 2hrs just isn't enough.

Perhaps make it 3 hrs at lvl 25, and 4 hrs at lvl 45?

Or something.

That idea of an eq pcorpse rot time more, but when pcorpse is empty its rot time is 2 hrs, sounds good, if poss, perhaps.

Mogr.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:54 pm

Heheh.. yeah, last night during the big jot spank, we could've used more time on corpse rot :P
Luckily the mud was rebooted and it reset the timers, so we were able to get Folur's group to come up and help us. And they got to corpses with just minutes left before rot.. oof
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:29 pm

I concur. One hour per level is excellent. I don't see a downside. If there is one, I'd be interested to hear it.

Vipplin
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
<B>I concur. One hour per level is excellent. I don't see a downside. If there is one, I'd be interested to hear it.

Vipplin</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one downside is that any corpses of high level players from failed resses would just pile up. Yeah the boots seem to be lasting a good while, but how many times have we gone 45 hours between boots this wipe?

I must agree that I do like the "1 hour per level" decay, but I also think if it gets implemented there should be a bury command of some sort.

-VHF
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jun 25, 2001 3:36 pm

I like the idea that was posted about the time resetting to 2 hours after the corpse is looted
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:50 am

Ok, after considering the other thread discussing death and corpses, I think that the one hour per level solution might require the same modification (at least) as tracking corpse level for xp purposes. If that level variable is added to corpses, then the hour/level idea is a winner (with the 'bury' command and/or shorter corpse duration after looting).

Since we don't know how long it will be until that is in, I recommend that the corpse rot time for now simply be jacked up to 24 hours for all corpses. The shorter time for looted ones and the bury command etc. can wait, but please let's kick the time up right away - the rest is just gravy.

Yeah, there'll be corpses aplenty, but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind. People will be more likely to go zoning/exploring far from hometowns as a result, and that's good for the mud, right?

More thoughts?

Vipplin/Vadian
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:34 pm

One downside of increasing pcorpse rot time is this:

Some rp/fantasy setting aspect to the mud realm would diminish a little.

i.e. the need to regroup, and get back to your corpse fairly promptly, when you are taken down, adds a bit of spice to the game.

Ever since I first came to udnerstand about corpse rot and eq falling to the ground after, etc etc, I must say the thrill/risk/adventure associated with CR and possibly losing eq from the ground etc is one of the many things that go toward making sojourn mud realm the great hunting grounds it is.

However, I still really think it should be upped a little, especially at higher levels, somehow.

Laterz,

Mogr.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:31 pm

Mogr,

I see the point you are making here but I assure you I would still be as frantic as ever to get my corpse back when I die. It is those times that I have real life commitments that I cannot blow off that an extended corpse life would help, and im sure I would feel unsure about leaving the corpse even then.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:57 am

We considered this during our development period, and decided that eliminating the risk/thrill of hasty CR's (see Mogr's post above) would not be good for the MUD.

Just a random thought, but what about this compromise:

Offline Consent: A version of consent that stays with the consentee until the consenter revokes it - as opposed to when they log off. However, to prevent abuse this quasi-consent would ONLY allow the consentee to drag corpses, not loot them.

That way, if Nitania, as an example, dies in a horrid Manscorps spank at 3am when she has to go to bed, she could offline-consent the group leader in charge of the CR, who would drag her corpse somewhere accessible.

There's probably something I'm not thinking of there, but mahybe it could work. Seems like a good compromise - the risk of dying and losing your EQ is not lessened, and those with RL emergencies will not be penalized.

Thoughts, opinions?

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Jun 27, 2001 3:16 pm

What about 'freezing' the decay time of your corpse whilst you are not online so if you are unable to reconnect for whatever reason (lightning strikes your computer), you don't have to worry.

Would this be too twinkable for people intentionally not logging on? I don't know how that could be advantageous.

Of course something like this would have to be limited so when people decide to quit for good their corpse isn't around forever.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jun 27, 2001 3:24 pm

Hmm.. yeah, lots of good ideas around here. I like the offline consent thing Shev. That'll avoid those nasty times when someone goes LD and voids because they lost power etc or had to log, leaving the rest of the group unable to CR their corpse or stuff. Image

After reading all of the input, it really seems this is a much trickier topic than I first thought. 2 hour decay time is good enough in most cases, but there are some places that you need more than that. HOWEVER, groups usually doing zones like that are high lvl ppl (say lvl 40+), and with spirit walk and scry remains quests in (found the quest mob last night too.. woo! ) I think it may help the rot problem.. quite a few interesting things I've been thinking of with spirit walk and other spells to do CRs from nasty zones (assuming the spell lag isn't huge).

Anyway.. how about this for a little quick and dirty benefit.. PCs of lvl 40+ have a longer base decay time (say 50% longer or something). Dunno how hard that would be to code, but it seems easy enough.. hehehehe Image
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 27, 2001 4:31 pm

Offline consent!!!!
I've wished for something like this for quite some time. It would be great if this were something that could be given at the beginning of a group, seperate from normal consent. This way, in case of unforseen circumstances like those pesky black-outs that leave us hanging for hours and hours without any warning, there is still hope that a CR can be accomplished for the unfortunate who gets disconnected against their will.
Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>What about 'freezing' the decay time of your corpse whilst you are not online so if you are unable to reconnect for whatever reason (lightning strikes your computer), you don't have to worry.

Would this be too twinkable for people intentionally not logging on? I don't know how that could be advantageous.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is what would happen:

3am..spank in very hard zone. Everyone dead. Ok. everyone log off now, we regroup tomorrow at 7pm EST to get corpses. Or whatever, just log off and organize CR thru ICQ... I think this is too abusable...shrug.

The offline consent thing is good...however, at the moment people can still just use tick timers or whatever to stay online indefinately and accomplish the same sort of thing.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:19 pm

Offline consent sounds decent to me. i still have to admit i would like to see the decay time upped though. I do understand the arguments that have been made against it and while they make sense, the thought that 2 hours of bad lag or noone logging on who can aid in a cr could jepardize all the equipment you have worked for is pretty disheartening. It does seem that the difficult and risk is alot of the draw to this mud so i dont know what affect this would have on that honestly, i hadnt really considered that aspect i guess when i first posted the topic. I would feel for someone who lost their corpse because they had to pick up thier kids or go to an interview or something like that though, there is no thrill or excitement in that, it would just seem pretty depressing.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:42 pm

Very true that could happen. But I guess I'm trying to figure out what is abusable about that? The players still have to refrain from logging on, else the timer will be ticking. So they are forced to remain offline (for that char at least) whilst waiting for others to CR.
The CR still has to happen. The only difference in this scenario is that it would happen at 7pm when people are online, or at 4am, when everyone is logged off.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tzat:
<B> I think this is what would happen:

3am..spank in very hard zone. Everyone dead. Ok. everyone log off now, we regroup tomorrow at 7pm EST to get corpses. Or whatever, just log off and organize CR thru ICQ... I think this is too abusable...shrug.

Tzat
Sojourner

Postby Tzat » Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>
Very true that could happen. But I guess I'm trying to figure out what is abusable about that? The players still have to refrain from logging on, else the timer will be ticking. So they are forced to remain offline (for that char at least) whilst waiting for others to CR.
The CR still has to happen. The only difference in this scenario is that it would happen at 7pm when people are online, or at 4am, when everyone is logged off.

Yeah, I mean, its not a CRAZY abuse or anything...it just seems to me that it then gives a greater advantage to people who know a bunch of people in RL....where as poor old me....who knows no one frmo the mud in RL, has no one on ICQ etc...shrug. Why not? Cuz its the game I play right...the CR is part of the game and should likely take place in the game...

Anyway, this is sorta a devils advocate position im taking, like, i wouldnt complain at all if they implemented your idea...more time is better! Image
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Wed Jun 27, 2001 9:54 pm

The offline consent is pretty spanky but why not just make rot time 4 hours?

Confused,

xyd
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:32 am

Well, I think there's two separate issues here...

1) Insufficient time for people to do a full CR due to difficulty of zone and/or lack of people to assist.

2) Insufficient time to do a CR AT ALL due to real life considerations.

The offline consent is meant to address the second. Raising rot time on all corpses to, say, 3 hours is a possibility in addition to that. Still thinking about it.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Jorta
Sojourner

Postby Jorta » Thu Jun 28, 2001 1:32 am

Thanks for the time put into this Shev (and all other matters relating to the mud as well!).

Offline consent sounds like a good approach. First you would only use it when you _really_ had to do it: Group leader says: "You ever notice how Jorta has a real life emergency every time we get spanked?" I'm sure someone could not do this too many times before their grouping capital was used up. At the same time it does allow you to bolt if you really need to. So dying is still to be avoided, but can be worked around if you really need to.

I like the freezing of the corpse rot time even more, but I forsee someone getting whacked and logging in another character to organize the CR with the clock frozen and then logging back on once everything is organized. Getting the CR group together is sometimes the hardest part of the CR.

So there are a couple of ideas, both of which are good and I would be content with either. Just as an aside, are there other ways to penalize death so that a rapid CR would still be the modus operandi? Perhaps after 2-3 hours there is no ress possible, or some other penalty? If something forboding enough were considered as the down side, a unilateral increase in decay time would then seem more balanced.

Thanks again for the time and effort!

Jorta
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:41 am

I like the way this is going. And indeed if off-line consent is in the game then we really don't need huge times before rot. Still the 2 hours is very short. 3 hours would be better, 4 would be great. Mybe put the rot times acording to level?

lvl 1 to 19 = 1 hour before rot
lvl 20 to 29 = 2 hours before rot
lvl 30 to 39 = 3 hours before rot
lvl 40 to 49 = 4 hours before rot
lvl 50 = 5 hours before rot.

The zones already support theese rot times... so this easyly could work.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:18 am

Perhaps the solution is not to make the rot time dependant on the level of the character, but rather make it dependant on the level of the area the character died in. This would most likely be harder to code, but I believe it would be the best solution to this topic. Higher rot times if the corpse resides within areas of higher difficulty, lower in other areas with a minimum of the normal 2 hours (would be even better if it could tell which HT you had and adjust accordingly, but that's asking a bit too much).

-Todrael
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:33 am

in response to jorta's hypothesis about abusing any rot time and being offline with another char..

ther's already a rule under 'rules' about this, it's called multiplaying if you die as one char, log on another and do anything no matter how small to aid in the cr of the dead char you are not logged in as.

but if people wanna be stupid and try that anyway go ahead :P
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silvea:
<B>Still the 2 hours is very short. 3 hours would be better, 4 would be great. Mybe put the rot times acording to level?

lvl 1 to 19 = 1 hour before rot
lvl 20 to 29 = 2 hours before rot
lvl 30 to 39 = 3 hours before rot
lvl 40 to 49 = 4 hours before rot
lvl 50 = 5 hours before rot.

The zones already support theese rot times... so this easyly could work.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I REALLLLLY like this Image

This suggestion in addition to Shevy's idea is actually near perfect Image It would allow the player extra time to retrieve a corpse *later* than RIGHT NOW. Granted CR's are what this game is all about.. (the difficulty in getting to them, the challenge of finding the right group etc.) But like I said before.. sometimes, you just HAVE to rent. Even if you are out soloing or questing or whatnot.. if you go AFK and someone lures lets say, the DB, (for example) to where you happened to be standing. You come back to your keyboard in hopes of a fast camp/rent/logoff but find that instead you died. Sometimes even those 20 minute CR's are 20 minutes too long..

Both the rot extention time and the offline consent are PERFECT when they go hand-in-hand. Doubling the time you get before rot would be fabulous.

Thanks,

Nitania
Vassar
Sojourner

Postby Vassar » Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:04 pm

Perhaps a compromise, or at least something to consider, would be an increase in the amount of time each casting of "preserve" puts onto a corpse. Currently, it's at 1 RL minute per level of the caster.

If corpse decay is an issue that is addressed at all, that is...

Vassar
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:41 am

The point is the time you have to reach your corpse. I know a lot of locations that are near imposible (after a zone reset) to reach within 2 RL hours. So increasing the time a press gives you would not help. Or a new spell would be made to give a remote press. But thats highly unlikely and very abusable atleast.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Jul 02, 2001 1:37 pm

oooh i like remote pres
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:36 pm

Allo All,

I don't play atm because I don't have the time for some of the situations that occur on the mud. From my point of view, why work my way up to higher levels to start zoning if it just means I'm going to end up in situations which demand time that I can't afford to give? (Long CR's, for example) I can plan out my playing time, but the unexpected CR's from a nasty spank demand changes to my schedule that I can't make anymore.

It would be a lot easier to play if I knew I wasn't going to get 'stuck' in a long nasty CR. I think players should still have to do a CR, but I would like for them to be able to decide whether they are going to do it NOW, or at a more convenient time. (Those of us who have actual relationships offline know what I mean. (mmm... wives)

Here are my two suggestions:

(1) Have the corpse decay timer run only while the char is online. If that char doesn't have time for the CR, they can log off and do it later when they have time to play. The urgency is still there (only 2 RL hours or whatever it may be) but the player can manage that time to his best advantage by logging on to do his CR when he has the time to do it. (in RL, that is). Multi rules should keep players from abusing this.

(2) Have 2 types of playercorpses - one ressable and the other not. It would be nice to have a visual indicator as to whether the corpse was ressable or not anymore. Perhaps once the 'res timer' (say 2 RL hours) has expired it could change visibly.. and go from a corpse to a rotted corpse. So preserving the corpse would keep it in a pristine, ressable state. Left alone it would become unressable (rotted) but still contain your eq to be retrieved later say for a day or so.

A little tweak like this could help the older playerbase (like me :P) play Soj3 despite the pressures of RL -job, family, etc. Y'all remember what Real Life is, don't you? The big orange ball outside in the sky?

I don't think it modifies the challenge of a zone. It simply gives a char the ability to CR him/herself at a convenient time after a nasty spank instead of staying up all night in a panic over his/her eq. A player that chooses to do a CR later is still penalized in that they lose the chance to get a ress.. but they don't lose their eq (provided they can accomplish the CR - which could still be a challenge *heh*).

I don't feel this would significantly affect the enjoyment of gameplay/zoning. It will make the game _much_ less disruptive of real life and therefore _much_ more enjoyable for all of us.

Anyone out there feel the way I do?

Tchau,

Yadir
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:59 pm

I don't know if this has been pointed out, but a shaman's spiritwalk plus a caster's relocate and gate spell make what seemed to be long CR's incredibly easy.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:31 pm

assuming whatever spanked the group didnt set up base camp in the room where it spanked you
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hyldryn:
I don't know if this has been pointed out, but a shaman's spiritwalk plus a caster's relocate and gate spell make what seemed to be long CR's incredibly easy.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

assuming the zone is relocatable and assuming there aren't 50 mobs waiting for you in the room.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:41 pm

Yeah yeah details details.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:56 pm

Your point was valid Hyldryn, but just saying that isn't a save all, but we have used a similar method to this with a fair amount of success.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Aug 08, 2001 7:34 am

I have RL obligations just like everyone else, but I also like to play this game.

Now the trick is to NOT do something which may end up as a spank, when you don't have time for it.

You have to go to work in 2 hours? Don't start CC, which is a pain in the ass CR zone. Don't go and explore the scorn sewers with only 20 other ppl on, none of which is over level 40. Etcetera.. Do something like jot or ic instead.

Just estimate whether what you will do WILL be done before you have to go, including any possible CR time.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”