Death and loosing level

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ontzlake
Sojourner

Death and loosing level

Postby Ontzlake » Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:57 am

I think each player should have an array of the hit points gained saved in their playerfile.
I see it as sad that people that die and loose level loose permanent stats. This is especially sad for new players that don't know this and die an above avg. number of times.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:27 am

agree, i think its an unnecessary penalty that is visited more frequently on new players.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:48 pm

There was a topic about this a while ago, I came up with an easily coded, efficient solution... since it hasn't gone in yet I'm assuming the gods just don't _want_ to do it. Image

Sarvis
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:09 pm

There was a long discussion about this awhile ago that never really came to any conclusion except for that most of the veteran players said keep hp loss and most of the newer ones said take it away :) But as Sarvis said, since nothing happened, it seems that the gods are just going to leave it as is. It's a shame that the lower and newer people get those sorts of penalties, I mean hey, if you really want hp loss in, why not compromise and put it for level 10-25 then instead of 1-25? At least then people can get a feel for the game before losing all their hps and getting so frustrated that they leave before even giving the place a chance.

[This message has been edited by Rynlaeis (edited 09-19-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Sep 19, 2001 3:18 pm

I'd like to consider myself a 'veteran' player.

I was all for losing and gaining the same amount.

So please don't make generalized statements to this effect. The playerbase is almost evenly divided from what I saw. That, and the gods want to make death mean something, though how losing 1/4 your level doesn't qualify as enough for this, I have no idea.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Wed Sep 19, 2001 9:38 pm

I said most, not all.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:50 am

Actually I don't really remember anyone being against it... the thread itself was kind of short. A few of us posted ways to code it, D2 (I think) said those would make the playerfiles too large, then like a month later I dreamed up a way to do it without making the playerfiles larger. Someone else did too, but she posted after I did... hehe. Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Sep 20, 2001 4:04 am

Point taken, Ryn. I apologize for coming off as a butthead.

A few of the players did disagree with it, if I remember right. I may be wrong though.

There have been quite a few threads on this though. 3 that I know of, so I could have missed one easily.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Sep 20, 2001 7:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ontzlake:
<B>I think each player should have an array of the hit points gained saved in their playerfile.
I see it as sad that people that die and loose level loose permanent stats. This is especially sad for new players that don't know this and die an above avg. number of times.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree completely. New (true new players) are so enthralled in what is going on that they likely don't notice it until they are lvl 25. At which point they probably decide hey this human warrior I made is neat and all, but I think I'm gonna try out a Barbarian for more hitpoints now.

Top lvl warriors are like 1k hitpoints, how much perm loss are we talking about here? 25hp? That'd be pretty hard to do with natural luck.

If you're that worried about it play it safe the first 25 lvls, keep the 25 hitpoints, but it'll take ya an extra month playing it safe. It's give and take.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:37 pm

There were quite a few people against it actually. I'm sure the thread I'm talking about can be dug up somewhere, and it wasn't a short thread, it was quite long. I'd say the distribution of the posters was probably 60% for no hp loss and 40% for hp loss. I'm sure there were a lot more opinions that remained unexpressed but no way to know what those people were thinking.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”