Repop of items

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ontzlake
Sojourner

Repop of items

Postby Ontzlake » Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:32 am

I think the old DIKU code for repop of items is outdated and should be changed into repop % points. Then an item could e.g. have 14% pop. And each killing of a mob could increase it with 2% untill it pop. If the mud ever goes into beeing stable, like no reboots for 14-60 days. Then this is a must instead of an idea.

Yes, this would also mean that mobs wouldn't always have items on boot
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:50 am

Most stupid Idea I've heard.

You want to spend 5 hours killing through manscorps/seer library like 20 times for ONE eq to pop?

Or waltz through CC, oh.. Quturac didn't have scales, lets go to saferoom and wait for pop and try again... Like...

NO WAY!

/Jegzed
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:31 pm

That's why he said that each item would have a % chance to pop with the mob. 14% was just an example. I'm sure the big random mobs like Chlorachrida would always have her scales and the really tough zones like manscorpions would always have its loot.

Yayaril
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:26 am

I wouldn't say its a bad idea, but it is a drastic change to the way things have been done. Todrael has also mentioned there are zones where mobs have a % chance to pop with an item regardless of boot.
The question is:

Is it better to have to wait for a boot then scramble to beat everyone to a zone to get an item?

Or is it better to have the option to sit in a zone, killing the same mobs repeatedly until that item pops up. (yea, otherwise known as evercamp..but still)

I think the solution to this problem is going to inevitibly be the lesser evil.
As is I can name a couple items that are nigh-impossible to get because people are camped out next to them in case of boots, but i'm sure there are groups that have time enough on their hands to camp the same mobs for DAYS to fully outfit their crew with the uber item it drops.

-E
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Sep 09, 2001 2:52 pm

Had a thought. How about making it so that eq loads on a random percentage, but if it fails to load the mob that would normally be wearing it also doesn't load? This would make it so that newbies can explore and find things without having people camp and keep killing the mob to repop it.

With large zones and such though I'd say those should always repop as if from a boot, but make the repop times longer. The current max is probably 2 hours right? Make it 4 or 5... just to keep people from waiting around and doing it over and over again. I think most everyone would just go find another zone rather than waiting 5 hours to do jot again... heh.

Sarvis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:15 pm

If it takes 2 hours just to get within sight of Padashaw's room, the last thing I want to do is sit there redoing the fight for another 2 hours until an item shows up.

Alternatively, it stands to reason that a group could get to Mahdrel and just whack him over and over for several rhemo cloaks.

- Ragorn
Trewe
Sojourner

Postby Trewe » Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:42 pm

The way the code works if they make an item load %100 percent of the time on boot with a max of 1.. it will always be there at boot.. but if they make it load 10% of the time with a max of 1000.. it will more or less do what people are suggesting..

that way Mahdrel will always have 1 and only 1 cloak per crash/reboot.. but there is a chance of, for arguments sake the ts ring loading 10% with a max of 1000.. it might not be there at boot.. but it will be eventually.. if he dies enough.. and I am sure they can make it so it will always be there on boot.. but with the chances of being loaded added..

More or less the same way they make rares load.. they load 100% (with a max of 1) of the time but only 5% in actually places we can get to...

Ohh while I think about it.. they could set the rareload rooms to do a purge at random intervals (every 2 hours) aswell so there could a be a chance of a rare loading 2,4,6,8 or whatever hours into a game.. dunno if thats how they do GC or not though..

Just a thought.

Azder
Shaylot
Sojourner

Postby Shaylot » Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:46 pm

I havn't thought it out for all high eq (I'm nubi). It just annoys me that you go kill in a zone and that zone have NO eq because some highlvl swept through it in 5 minutes getting all the neat stuff.

-Changed my username from ontzlake to shaylot
Ontzlake is dead, long live Shaylot.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Sep 15, 2001 9:44 am

A better idea would be to have equ load after a period of time. say theres a 10% chance of something loading after a mob is killed 3 hours into a boot. Of course equ had best always be there after a boot.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 04, 2001 1:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaylot:
<B>I havn't thought it out for all high eq (I'm nubi). It just annoys me that you go kill in a zone and that zone have NO eq because some highlvl swept through it in 5 minutes getting all the neat stuff.

-Changed my username from ontzlake to shaylot
Ontzlake is dead, long live Shaylot.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, that is true. But I've also found almost all highlevels happy to share if you simply ask; some will even kill a mob you can't do and hand the item to you (as Fendoren did when I was little).

Plus, you can always level up, yourself, and then do the eq. It just takes time Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”