Idea for level 50

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Marforp
Sojourner

Idea for level 50

Postby Marforp » Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:15 am

I agree with the gods that their shouldn't be additional skills given because someone obtains level 50.

Problem: As playing time increases and a player has achieved all he/she can achieve on a character a player will often roll a secondary "primary" character. Other players usually don't know who this new character is and the player has an issue with wanting to play his/her new character, but being told to play their old character for groups.

Solution: At level 50 a person has the ability to use a "skill/command" that allows the person to change into a secondary class/race. No skills or spells will transfered and this "skill/command" can only be used once per mud month. [This time is a random time I picked for being large enough a person can't change for each fight, but short enough if in the middle of the invasion a key character left he/she could switch into that roll.]

Implementation: I see arguments to allow the preson to choose a brand new race/class combo or to require the person to keep the same stats/race and only allowing the choice of a valid class under that race. It could be difficult to implement with having to re-write player file code, but that's up for the gods to figure out *wink*

This addition would give a person a reason to achieve level 50 and would allow the uber players to gain recognition as a player who can play multiple classes (which is a skill a lot of individuals don't have).

Marforp
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:21 pm

oof, i hate this idea.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:42 am

Sometimes you gotta pass the pipe kiryan...especially before posting on the board.
xa
Sojourner

Postby xa » Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:26 pm

not sure if i like this one.. sounds alot like a remort..
I aint into remorting heh just thought it was mad cheesy shrugs

[This message has been edited by xa (edited 10-22-2001).]
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:17 am

Not for me, thank ye.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:06 am

Why don't we give all the classes something like what the necromancers have?
I would recommend calling it mastery. You do a quest that allows you to gain access to the master levels, but only after you've achieved 50th level. Then you would start to gain the 5 new levels. I would recommend instead of gaining new skills that you are allowed to do a quest to gain greater mastery of one skill. This would say raise the maximum notch a skill can go by 5 points, 1 point when you are at the 1st mastery level, 5 when you reach the ultimate in your class. Then when you've done this quest and have reached the ultimate mastery of your class, one final quest.
This quest would be for an item to demonstrate your mastery of the class.
i.e. As a paladin you have to quest to kill the ultimate dragon and bring back proof to your master. Then when you do that he'd give you the Dragon Lance. It would be say a 2 handed weapon that does double damage versus dragons.
The are all kind of variations on this theme that can be done. How about a specific skill and item quest depending on your race and class. Thus the skill you can gain mastery of would be different for a human warrior and a Barbarian warrior, same with the item. Unique items, unique skills for 50th level classes.
The best part is that the hard core people would have something further to shoot for while increasing the power of their character without unbalancing the game.
The best and final part is that we would not have to make the game harder because the really good players find it too easy and no more downgrades would be needed because the real good players would have things to do for a long time.
Heck if you don't like the idea of additional level with hit points, just make them 1st through 5th rank master. The best part is in how many ways this plan could be modified. Heck we already have the Lich, so we know that management is hip to this idea.
We could even introduce new areas and masters to get the quests from that would fit right in with this concept.
That's just my 2 cents on how to give more challenge while not turning off the casual player by downgrading all their hard work, while at the same time give greater variety and choices so that not everyone would be a 50th level barbarian warrior.
Thanks!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:05 am

The Lich-for-every-class discussion has reached one thousand posts. The horse is dead, it will not happen, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

- Ragorn
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:43 pm

I know ya'll envy me. I can feel it. Not only do I get to quest to change my class, gaining new powers, I also get to quest for an awesome item that is class specific and basically defines me in many zones.

As a side note, liches aren't all that, we're just poor man's invoker with a couple fringe benefits. "Downgrade, downgrade, downgrade, downgrade, downgrade.. wait, you want an upgrade? Ha, only if you can't be ress'd anymore."

-Todrael
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:44 pm

Maybe at 50 you can go into a specialization type of your class.

Example:

Rogue Level 50:

Has the option to become:

Lockpick Specialized in picking locks, disarming traps, ect. Gains additional bonuses in these skills yet reduces some fighting skill ect.
Mercenary - Increased fighting skills, yet other skills become less used therefore percenatge descrease.
Thief Acrobat- fighting skill decreases, trip, evasion, dodge become higher, ect

This is just a general idea.

Ilshad
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Wed Oct 24, 2001 4:26 pm

You missed the point.
The idea is to keep the game interesting without making it unbalanced. I realize it won't happen until sojourn is out of Beta. Heck, I'd even volunteer my time and energy to help make this project become a reality. This is an alternative or an addition to a god run campaign system.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:06 pm

I hate to sound cockier than I usually do, but I posted a 10-page analysis of how that could work, Ilshad. I think it was on the egroups forum. It got 7 replies and was promptly forgotten.

I think it's safe to say we'll never see any sort of positive feedback on post-50 skills. And if we did, it would be Sojourn 5 before they got implemented.

- Ragorn
xa
Sojourner

Postby xa » Thu Oct 25, 2001 4:38 am

i do quite like the idea of specilazation in your class would be really cool would make getting 50 interesting.. would hope the gods would look into it make it a hard quest though that way not everyone in the world would be it shrug I WANNA BE A SUPER INVO!

flib the not so super invo Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:40 am

can the current game handle players getting more speciailzied? I mean that means they will be better at something than they are currently. Paladins better tanks or better 2h, warriors with better shieldpunch (snicker), enchanters with better scale, invokers with better damage spell, ect....

We are still balancing out the game from when sorcs got split into specialized classes. Seems to me the only way to imp specialized classes is to first downgrade all the existing classes.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:24 pm

It looks as though the only real avenue for a level 50 is to expand their persona in the world. I haven't seen any role-play in the longest time, sure most of the older players have left and it seems the "DOOM" generation has arrived. Kill as much as possible and get as much as possible and nothing else...

For those who are looking to get more from the game, perhaps you should try to re-invent your characters through stories and role-play.

I myself have found it difficult to really get into the game this wipe since I seem to have taken the attitude, "Been there and done that." I know that is a bad approach, and I am starting to return. I have already been putting out feelers to different groups of players to see how they are this wipe. So far, it seems most are just hack and slash.

To really get into role-play you have to find at least one person and start there, it will eventually expand into more players role-playing with you and the fun can start there.

Assocations are the perfect nesting ground to get a huge RP base going. Will we ever see A barbarian tribe? or an Elven Royle House?

The old way guilds were forms was very tedious but it let the role-play oriented get deep into the ruts of the game, expanding it past any level of code.

Vermillion Shadow took almost a year and a half to get implemented. But for a lack of a better word, it was the perfect enviornment for role-play. Nitania, Illreok, Gantoris, Nilan were all part of the guild and we all had the time of our lives creating it.

So think about it...

To Role-play, THAT is the question!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”