Rogues and Weapons

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Rogues and Weapons

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Oct 19, 2001 8:30 pm

Let me be the first to say I love my daggers. I'd take them over a man on the pillow next to me any night. Let me also say that I love the rogue, I think the rogue class is a useful addition to any group, and I think we have more than enough skills to flesh out the class abundantly. So just to make it very clear, I am NOT saying we don't have enough skills or whining about my class. That said, on to the subject.

I love my daggers, and it's a good thing I love my daggers because I would be lacking a lot without them. I was asked once if I would consider using a bludgeoning weapon if it procced stun. After considering that for a moment, I had to say no. Admittedly, everything I would be giving up would be dependant on which hand I needed to wield the non-dagger in. Do I rogue rescue that often? No. Do I rescue if I feel the situation warrants it? Yes, as I've stated before, I can gain my exp back much faster than most casters can. So I would be giving up all of that for the iffy chance of a proc which might or might not go off in a battle.

This led me to a different chain of thoughts. There is a class of weapon in the game which is rarely used, only because none of the classes seem to have a real use for it. Miscellaneous weapon class. Included in this class is a weapon I'd love to be able to use just for the flair of it, but in crunch time I wouldn't use it simply for the fact that I wouldn't want to give up any edge I would be able to offer my group with daggers. The whip.

The whip is a weapon which takes a great deal of skill and finesse, but has an abundance of combat potential in the fantasy world, not to mention style bonuses out the wazoo. I guess I could imagine other tank/hitter types utilizing the whip, but not the way I can see rogues putting it to use.

I remember seeing another thread some time ago that hashed over possible rogue skills, including some that used specific bludgeoning weapons. I'm not making specific suggestions here, only mentioning something that could be utilized for something fun. Yes, I know there are dozens of other things already on the plates of the staff. It's just something to think of if the idea of expanding the weapon skills repertoire is ever discussed.

Just call me "Indiana" Ashiwi
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:22 pm

In my best Connery voice

'Indiana' was he dogs name.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Oct 20, 2001 3:34 am

I'd take your daggers over a man on the pillow next to me any night too.

- Grungar "Where in the hell is Mike Sinkovich?" Forgefire
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:45 pm

makes perfect sense to me, i could dig using a whip with my rogue

as for daggers over a man....ummm.....i guess i too am guilty of taking the mud over the nights company of the oposite sex...but they were nothing to look at
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:20 pm

Ashiwi,

Great idea. A whip in the hands of a trained killer... *drool*

I've always RP'ed with whips before, but to have an *actual* use for them would be beyond amazing.

I'm ALL for this !!!

Nitania
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:53 pm

Woah Ash, I didn't realize you where into all that flogging and leather stuff......
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Oct 20, 2001 11:13 pm

mmmmmmmm...leather stuff
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nitania:
<B>...
I've always RP'ed with whips before, but to have an *actual* use for them would be beyond amazing...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man.. poor lyt.
RUN LYT RUN!!!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:42 pm

Oh Zen, you knew... you always knew. Stop trying to play innocent, it doesn't suit you well.
Trewe
Sojourner

Postby Trewe » Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:54 pm

Hang on!! We need to have a talk I think Ash :P

Azder *last to find out like usual* Darkstar
Shaylot
Sojourner

Postby Shaylot » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:02 pm

You mention bludgeon weapons. Personally i think it would be cool if theifs ran around with blackjacks (saps) and blackjacked mobs. hit them in the back of the head so they pass out.
But, it should be considered a special item. just like a music instrument. You dont run around blackjacking people with a mace/flail.

This sap thing is a pocket of leather filled with sand, or coins or something.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Oct 28, 2001 5:30 am

either imbalancing or useless when implemented. It's been discussed, shaylot, because many other muds have it.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”