New Battlechanter/bard ideas

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Allycis
Sojourner

New Battlechanter/bard ideas

Postby Allycis » Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:38 pm

I think we can all admit that the two classes are less than impressive at this point, but I have no idea what changes are already in the works for them. I had a couple of ideas for songs that might be kinda cool.
Song of Speed - Makes people do their actions faster. No its not just haste...heroism does that. I was thinking more along the lines of making people not have lag, after doing things like kick or bash, for as long, or making people mem faster.
Song of WhateverYouWannCallIt - A damage spell that would attack the eardrums of the enemies. Does some damage and has a decent chance to blow out their eardrums. If their eardrums get blown out they no longer take damage from the song, but lose their sense of equilibrium. This would make things that require good balance, like tripping, bashing, kicking, much more difficult and often causing the mobs to fall over themselves in the attempt.

Also there is a Brazilian martial art called Capoeira that mixes fighting with dancing and music. In this martial art they use the instruments to play music and as weapons..so hey why not use this for battlechanters/bards as well.

Dartra/Dartok
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:26 pm

I think a song of disruption could be cool.. have a chance to interrupt -all- spellcasting in the room.. both mobs and your group.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:29 pm

So its like bardquake without falling down!

Dornax
Jurdex
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:30 pm

mmmm... bardquake Image

- Ragorn
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:05 am

You give the bar of electrum to the long-haired craftsman.
You give the block of wood to the long-haired craftsman.
You give the enamel paint to the the long-haired craftsman.
You give the curved lodestones to the long-haired craftsman.
You give the paper cone to the long-haired craftsman.
You give the strange cigarette to the long-haired craftsman.

The long-haired craftsman says 'Oh, wow, man!'

The long-haired craftsman lights the strange cigarette and inhales.

The long-haired craftsman says 'Good stuff, man!'

The long-haired craftsman disappears into the back room, and returns carrying a odd-looking, shiny, flat guitar. It is connected by some sort of smooth rope to a square box with a knob on the box. The knob has numbers on it.

The long-haired craftsman says 'Here's the deal, man. Like, below 7, it's lame, man. It could be any instrument. At 7, s'OK, but you'll have to shout to hear each other. At 8, better , but if you want to pray or cast a spell, it won't come out right. At 9, it's gettin' good, but no one'll be able to pray or cast in the next room, neither. 10's great, man, really rockin', but they tell me that I gotta tell ya that you're riskin' permanent damage to your listeners and to yourself if you don't all find some earplugs. Never touch 'em, myself. 11, yeah! 11's the best, but you play there, and you might find you and your audience off in some other place, man. That's what happened to me.'

The long-haired craftsman says 'Oh, yeah, no guarantees, man. You play it too long, too loud, it'll bust up, maybe give you a shock. But I'll be around if you need another.'

The long-haired craftsman disappears into the back room again.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:50 am

rofl!!!
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Oct 19, 2001 7:43 pm

vis one goes to eleven...

No No... don't touch it! Don't even breave on it...
Jethrus
Sojourner

Postby Jethrus » Tue Nov 06, 2001 4:40 am

I think everyone agrees that chanters/bards are in need of an upgrade. I think the ideas you posted are good allycis. For battlechanters I see them as someone who gets people in the mood to fight, playing a warlike chant. I think that a skill that would be appropriate would be some sort of frenzy or berserk that could result from a chant. Results could vary at the gods discretion, but some ideas would be increased hps, hit/dam roll, reduced intelligence, prevention from casting spells, prevention from fleeing from a battle. Another idea is have a chant that increases battle awareness and subsequently skills are increased. A result would be increased rates of parry/dodge/shieldblock/riposte.
Anyways just a couple ideas since battlechanters seem to be arguably the worst class on the mud. I would just suggest that upgrades to bards/battlechanters be seperate and distinct so they are not just the same class on the good/evil side of the mud.
-Jethrus Monk of Yore
Gakka
Sojourner

Postby Gakka » Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:10 am

To me orc battlechanters are like animal from muppet show. Slighly crazy drummers.

we dont blush if we forget the lyrics. We just continue the song (mabye a little louder).

Bards and Battlechanters should not have same messages when they respectively sing/chant.

And then gongs should be more styrdy. I destroyed a war gong after 5 songs.

----later added:
Skills and battlechanters,

Everybody knows that battlechanters learn to dodge flying objects such as bottles, tomatoes, eggs, and coppers at a very young age. (OK, we dont dodge copper, because, hey, free copper).

But battlechanters rarely sneak around with their war gong! and I find it highly unlikely that battlechanters would have the same skill in this ability as would bards.

I also find it wierd that bard know how to play all instruments whereas all battlechanters really can play is drum.

I find it wierd that we have the weapon restriction thiefs also have. After all; The training we got in bloodtusk was in a bar.

A skill that bards could possess, but not battlechanters is disguise. Many bards are great performers, and skilled with disguises and makeup.

[This message has been edited by Gakka (edited 11-07-2001).]
Jezlic
Sojourner

Postby Jezlic » Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:53 pm

BattleChanter Ideas:

Chant of Smiting
+ 2 to dam roll

Chant of the Vipers
+ 2 hit +2 dam

Chant of the Manastones
decreases mem time

Chant of the Beserkers
+2hit/dam +9 str

Chant of Protection
+1 to all saving throws)

Chant of Quickness
party haste

Bard Song Ideas...

Song of the Mages
descrease mem time

Song of Evasion
increases dodge, evasion, and parry chance

Tomik's Song of Battle
+5% crit chance

Tomik's Song of Dissonance
-5 hit roll to enemies

Song of Traveling
increase movement point regen

These are just some rough ideas that I came up with off the top of my head....

Anyways bards and the evilrace alt. chanters
,to me, are all about party ultilities and making things easier for the party. All songs and chants have to be area effect, of course. Fact of the matter bards, and chanters, are NOT solo classes, but must have an audience <party> to be full effective. And in sense make them a hybrib rogue/mage class, that has primirary ultility spells that make every mundane thing easier to do. Travel, Heal, Mem, Attack, Defend. I don't mean making enchanters with Stone obsolite, but twinking there defenses as a party on the whole, or attack as a whole.

Please be kind, once again there's not alot of thought into this, just something off the top of my head...

Let me know what you think...

------------------
Jezlic -= Drow Priest =-

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”