New Class?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Lepdar
Sojourner

New Class?

Postby Lepdar » Sat Dec 01, 2001 5:48 pm

I was thinking what would be awesome is a new class, just a regular mage. on creation of the mage, the MUD would issue them a random spell list, where as they would be given 4-5 random first level spells, 3-4 random second level spells, and so on, just to make it more of a roleplaying thing rather than, OH, you're an enchanter, well I know that you get enchant weapon at whatever level, I'll bring you along with me in my group. Just a thought.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:46 pm

Bad idea.

-Todrael
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sat Dec 01, 2001 7:13 pm

There are no bad ideas, just bad liches.

------------------
·Kuurg·
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Dec 01, 2001 7:46 pm

that would be neat. but how would you balance it? It would be much easier to be able to pick one of several preset list of spells (which if you think about it is exactly what we have heh).

I mean you could end up with force missiles at 41, dragon scales at 46, displace at 26, globe at 36, ect... wouldnt that be sick and wrong?
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sat Dec 01, 2001 10:49 pm

I had the idea of bringing back sorcerers, and at 20th where they got the option to "specialize (spellcast type)" they turned into that particular class. beit illusion, invocation, conjuration, necromancy, etc..

Giving the option to remain a "general mage" as it were and the option to be one of the more specific classes. But I don't think it really caught on Image

E
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Dec 01, 2001 11:03 pm

Take the most interesting parts of enchanters and invokers, lower its power a bit, combine it, and you have sorcerors.

The less the classes, the more skills to go around to the existing ones.

Lepdar: Kiryan actually makes a good point here (in less then 2000 words too!). Your idea would just be twinked by people with enough time on their hands to keep leveling mages up til they have one with all the best spells. People that want a well rounded mage class can be illusionists. Smirk.

Corth
Lepdar
Sojourner

Postby Lepdar » Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:07 am

Hrmm... My whole point is not to have a "standard" if being twinked out is a concern, weigh each spell based on how twinky it is, and make it only so that if you get a really good spell at such a level, then the other really good spells won't be even able to be part of the random spell list. *shrug* sounds complicated, but I think it would be kinda cool to not have every character of a class EXACTLY like every other in that class.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 02, 2001 6:56 am

Lepdar, by definition that would be nigh impossible to balance... if you wanted to balance it you would have to rate each and every mage spell for utility and power. Then what? do you balance it so they can only get so many pts on average? It's a headache, although an interesting one.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:33 am

Nod ledpar it would be neat, but what youd have to do is say if they got displace at 26 they couldnt get dscales at 46 or force missiles at 36. If they got stone at 21 then they couldnt get inferno or displace, ect... In the end, youd have so many exclusions that there would be no randomness. Youd have 4 or 5 or 10 or 15 spell lists or you would know your eventual spell list by the time you hit 26. None of those scenarios does your idea justice.

For most of the spells your idea is good, but really most of the spells are not what you cast. Its the select spells which are uber powerful that define each class. These spells themselves are not balanced, but balance classes.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:23 pm

Now, I know Lepdar in RL, and I don't think his idea is really coming across the way he meant it to.
Basically, what the idea is really ISN'T for a twinky type class, it's more for a role-playing perspective. Like he said, instead of everyone saying "Oh, you're an invoker, NUKE the bastard!" maybe we could have the random spell lists something like a mix...
Instead of say, an invoker getting all nukes, and an enchanter getting all defense, have one of the spell lists 1/2 defense/offense, or maybe 80% offense with say, EShield or something along those lines.
<shrug> It's an interesting idea, and I feel a pretty good one if it's implemented properly.
Just my half-awake ramblings from the incredible cubicle jungle I call "work" Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taegost:
<B>Now, I know Lepdar in RL, and I don't think his idea is really coming across the way he meant it to.
Basically, what the idea is really ISN'T for a twinky type class, it's more for a role-playing perspective. Like he said, instead of everyone saying "Oh, you're an invoker, NUKE the bastard!" maybe we could have the random spell lists something like a mix...
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would definitely support this if it were done OK. However, the problem that we were discussing was that it would wind up being abused and exploited to become twinky.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:14 pm

Ahh i like cookie cutter characters. Instead of this idea lets make it so that when you hit level 50 your name changes to your race + class + Number as in TrollWarrior1, TrollWarrior2, DrowInvoker1,Drowenchanter2.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Dec 07, 2001 4:42 pm

Remember when there was actually a decision to be made about specialization when you hit level 20? Jeez, that was a looong time ago...

-Todrael
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:14 pm

Yawn, like there was much decision...everyone spec'd the same thing, with a few exceptions.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:00 pm

Heh nah, there were many spec fire and spec protection sorc's.. and then galas started a trend of spec enchantment clerics for those huge vits.

Corth
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:53 pm

And then vit was made spec healing, and all nukes were made spec invocation.

Spell specialization has its place on sojourn, but it would take a complete rewrite of the spell lists to make it balanced.

- Ragorn
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Heh nah, there were many spec fire and spec protection sorc's.. and then galas started a trend of spec enchantment clerics for those huge vits.

Corth</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nog... Joth was known for vits I member, he always said other clerics could spec healing, he'd vit, and it would make a better team.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:12 am

Other plans are now in the idea stage to diversify mages...

A generic class ain't gonna happen though. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Dec 16, 2001 3:14 pm

Please please please please dont mess with the illusionist class.. i beg of you! You got it right the first time (with subsequent tweaks)! Image

Corth
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Dec 16, 2001 3:48 pm

Mess with illusionists!!

Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 16, 2001 5:40 pm

bleh if you gonna mess with things at least please consider my Augurer class :P It's +RP.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Dec 16, 2001 10:49 pm

I didn't mean sweepign changes to the mages or anything, just some additions to spice things up. But anyways, it's too early to comment on this really..so you'll just have to take my word for it Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:47 am

Just give us invokers about two more max HP per level-- I'll tank as good as a pally any day. Image

-Nida "Mori, you got them heals ready, right? I'm going." Rocheron
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:43 pm

hahahahaha! =)

Vokertank!
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Other plans are now in the idea stage to diversify mages...

A generic class ain't gonna happen though. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the idea is quite the opposite... It will get rid of a "generic" class...
By making several incarnations of it... Kinda like a grab bag of sorts... If you take it, you'll be less powerful overall, but you *might* have a chance for something good, or at least decent... To add some RP spice for people who like something different, like Dwarven Tapdancers or ahhh... Troll Invokers...
<shrug>

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”