New Prompt

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Xirixxiss
Sojourner

New Prompt

Postby Xirixxiss » Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:19 am

Just an idea I had while looking thru old logs, but what about a stationary prompt? Have it lock in a selectable location, ie at the top or bottom of your screen. Would really cut down on the spam! Also might wanna make it an option for people who like the current prompt system Image

Let me know what ya think

Xirixxiss
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:39 am

My prompt is always at the bottom of the screen, where's yours?
Maybe it's client-side related if your isn't at the bottom, though I can't seem to picture it not being there.
Xirixxiss
Sojourner

Postby Xirixxiss » Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:51 am

I think you misunderstood. My current prompt is at the bottom like yours, but how many prompts do you see on your screen? This probably varies on your screen resolution and font size. Right now I count 12 on mine, but my idea was for there to be only 1 prompt displayed on your screen at all times and it updates in place.

Xirixxiss
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:59 am

It could probably be done with ansi codes, although im not sure how many clients would be able to handle it. Could make it a toggle i guess. Personally, I doubt i'd use it because I'm so used to the current system... notwithstanding the additional spam.

Corth
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xirixxiss:
<B>I think you misunderstood. My current prompt is at the bottom like yours, but how many prompts do you see on your screen? This probably varies on your screen resolution and font size. Right now I count 12 on mine, but my idea was for there to be only 1 prompt displayed on your screen at all times and it updates in place.

Xirixxiss</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My prompt doesn't do that, but I setup a status bar at the bottom of my screen that has all the information from it, as well as my TNL, current food, # of goodberries I have left, and anything else I'm too lazy to look up Image
I originally did it because I didn't want to keep typing Att or Sco or hitting enter to see my info...
THAT failed, I think I type them more often now then I did before Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Dec 27, 2001 2:01 pm

I would have thought this would be impossible to accomplish server-side. I would think it would have to be a client-side system of gags and echoes. I think taking the info from the prompt, putting that info in your status bar (ZMud solution) and then gagging the prompt might work.

Too much bother for me, though Image I like to scroll back and see the prompt info where it was at a given time anyhow.

Vadian
Blarr
Sojourner

Postby Blarr » Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:14 pm

I know that use of ansi is an abusable thing, but one thing that always attracted me on other MUDs was the ability to not only configure what details you wanted in your prompt, but also what colors you would portray them in.

Also, since we're talking about potential modifications to prompts, is it possible to include an indicator that displays your position status (i.e., prone, sitting, standing)? Sometimes I amaze myself, by fighting a battle completely on my ass. Mebbe that's just me Image

-Blarr
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:19 pm

This is impossible to do serverside... the promt info is sent once after each command/mud return and then stays in the client display... You would have to do this all client side, but it shouldn't be har at all... Just some gags and echo's...
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iaiken Toransier:
This is impossible to do serverside... the promt info is sent once after each command/mud return and then stays in the client display... You would have to do this all client side, but it shouldn't be har at all... Just some gags and echo's...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think it would be impossible to make it universal, but ANSi codes of the type used on the BBS *DO* have codes to manipulate the prompt and where certain things are displayed... But it would be a nightmare to implement...
And actually, now that I think about it, it would be nearly impossible to make a static prompt at the bottom of the screen, because it would still scroll up when other text comes through, until the prompt refreshes, which would then cover up the bottom messages...
It's prolly possible, but highly unlikely and a biznitch to do...
However... What if the prompt was gagged, but sent directly to another window, which could then be resized/moved/placed/whatever, and I know there are some programs that can remove the title bars and stuff from Winbloze programs 'n stuff...
Ow! My brain aches... When will work ever end? Image

------------------
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Dec 27, 2001 8:56 pm

Stationary Prompt: Er, no. Head over the MUD Client help forum and make a status bar. Image

Position on Prompt: Hey, that could be cool. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:

Position on Prompt: Hey, that could be cool. Image
[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be too much of a hassle IMHO, unless you moved it from the left side of the screen to the center or right... But I don't think ANSi codes can justify to one side or the other, and even tho I still use the standard 80x25 viewing area, some people might not, so it would have to scale to their settings...
Wait a sec... Brain fart... Doesn't the MUD have server-side settings for rows/columns? Like 80x24 or 120x50 or something like that?
If they're forced to use that many lines...
Then it might be semi-feasible, except you'd need a different prompt for each settings...
<sigh>
I miss the days of Terminate and Comfax... TinTin++... Woot!
BRING BACK RENEGADE!

------------------
Gakka
Sojourner

Postby Gakka » Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:08 am

Just wanna write that you can do that relative stuff serverside. it is done when you type 'help'

What would have to be known however is what line the bottom of your terminal is.

Gakka Boom Image
Dibble
Sojourner

Postby Dibble » Sat Dec 29, 2001 5:35 pm

I have seen a stationary ansi prompt implemented in another mud, complete with a hp bar that changes color as you loose hitpoints. It was pretty cool to look at but if i remember correctly (it has been a couple years) it would mess things up occasionaly and you would have to refresh your screen.

Dibble.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Dec 29, 2001 6:53 pm

What I think would be cool is a toggle to have group members hps and name change color as they are wounded (kind of like it does for your own hps).

Yeah, I know it can be done on the client side.. but not everyone uses Zmud, and lots of us can't always mud from their primary computer with htre fancy triggers and stuff Image

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 12-29-2001).]
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Mon Dec 31, 2001 4:21 pm

A nice client that uses full color support (the step from 16 colors to millions (RGB) is incredible if it is not misused and spam is kept low) can be found at:

www.sharune.com/started.shtml

Its made in java as an applet. And to get the best results you need a pretty fast computer with internet explorer (netscape not good with java).

It uses bars for your hps (always displayed) and combat bars etc. This is autoupdated even if you are sitting still and resting.

It also uses a static map window for duris style maps (will be full graphic maps soon and no ansi codes) which autoupdates as stuff around you is moving.

It uses a logfile system that creates html files of the logs with all ansi codes implemented as html colors. Really neat way to get nice logs up.

Anyways, atm it only works for the host mud, but will be available for other muds in the future, with helpfiles for how to configure it all to other muds.

Perhaps soj would be interested someday to have it on their site :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:32 pm

blah j00 bring back ugly memories of Solar Eclipse and the Portal client. Bad, bad.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”