Char creation

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Dec 10, 2001 4:36 pm

STR: 77 AGI: 95 DEX: 59 CON: 95
POW: 80 INT: 100 WIS: 46 CHA: 11

Took me 15 minutes. I only sometimes wish I had waited for more strength, but then I remember I have the strength spell.

-Todrael
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:39 pm

your roll is the exception, not the rule, todrael. it can take a LONG time to get that roll for many people.

sniz, were your friends going for warrior types? i can understand the 4 mighty's then. if not concentrate on mighty in int/wis depending on the caster, and average for the rest

it took me 4 hours to roll mighty/good/avg/mighty today for a dwarf warrior. i dont know of many new to the game players who would have that much patience
Snizzle
Sojourner

Postby Snizzle » Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:30 am

Xebes - I guess my point came across poorly. My friends wanting 4 mighties had nothing to do with RP. My point had to do with the roller in general. Its the first thing new ppl see. It is in most ppls expereince to try and get the best before entering a unknown. For a player from another style of mud, its possible for them to gather the importance of things like high stats. Obviously thats what the roller is for. Remember some have no idea what Soj3 is like. The roller essentially dangles a carrot in front of you, then contunually denies you. Kind of like a tough ass one arm bandit. They dont know what is after the roller. They have control over that ONE thing. Most ppl want to do the best they can there.

After to talking to them again I came to discover that this situation might be unique in some ways. The peeps I Invited I *think* play on a highly modified Nightmare mud. They dont roll stats. They roll initial skills, attributes, do descriiptions. Lastly they can only have a single char on thier mud. They use introduce code, all other players see is short descriptions - no names etc. They made some assumptions based on thier previous experiences - knowing full well that Soj3 was vastly different than what they are used to. Still they got caught up in the simple fact that the roller led them to *believe* that stats were important. Thats all they saw, thats the assumption they made.

My point wasnt anything about uber chars. Hell Snizz has to wear tons of int gear and is a caster! Image For myself I agree with you entirely. My point was that the roller is our welcome mat - for ppl that have varied experiences than our own. Give them a chance at the roller and add our variation in the game!

Grintor - yes the most vocal ppl of the group were rolling warriors thinking they would be the easiest to learn with.

Currently 4-5 of them are playing or have rolled chars. I find it funny that they cant get past all the colorful ansi!

Snizz
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:19 am

Drow Enchanter I rolled for gf. about 3 hours including time spent rolling up several snake and drow enchanters with with perfects in individual stats to identify max hit/dam/hps/memtimes.

STR: 56 AGI: 96 DEX: 73 CON: 94
POW: 55 INT: 96 WIS: 58 CHA: 70

Troll warrior 1 hour.
STR: 89 AGI: 85 DEX: 90 CON: 96
POW: 50 INT: 74 WIS: 39 CHA: 74

I gave up much better stats for the charisma because i thought charisma was going to affect leadership ability. I wish i could reroll, but lots of warrior eq has + stats. green dscale 9 dex, kraken leggings 9 dex, tribal mask 9 agi, bracers blinding strike 9 agi, i think there some sf stuff with good + attributes. but tell me, does anyone but the power hack slash mudder care whether he is 25/40 or 25/30? warrior melee = marginal. If your frustrated with trying to roll warrior stats, then your a power mudder and to make it easier would be ruin what you enjoy, competition and having the uber char.

I spent another 5 hours rolling each a squid and a cleric. Squid was much harder to roll the stats i wanted than mages/warriors/rogue. Cleric was damn near impossible. Squids have the highest requires in the game by 50 points or so, but clerics are probably the hardest class in the game to roll (perhaps bards/bchanters).

1. no str spell and eldritch is a total of -18 str. As far as im aware there isnt that much top end hp eq with +str. (duegs make out here with innate strength)

2. while their con notches tend to be lower and con eq abounds, do you want to risk possible ress fail or drains? Consider you dont have an easy exp table and you get better exp by keeping the group rolling rather than trying to obtain dam exp.

3. int for QC (drow make out here being naturally highly intelligent)

4. agi so you dont fall to earthquakes (drow make out here)

5. dex so you dont fling your weapon often and hitroll. if you ever want to melee you cant ignore this stat considering your max nekkid hitroll is around 6. im someone who believes clerics can melee.

6. wis for memtime and its their primary attribute (id ignore this one since the base requirement is more than adequate)

Paladins have a lot of requires too. But consider that they get naturals that more than make up for poor stats. Your lucky you even have a chance at getting great stats. Why do you need awesome stats? For dex consider, bless, innate bonus 2h. For agility armor (plus a bonus for armor if your a paladin). Con is sorta offset by healing ability. Great compensation for having average lower stats. Tell me what level 1 char can rival a paladin in innate strength and versatility? How about comparisons in ac/hit/dam/hps?

Still as long as its possible power gamers will try to roll the max stats. For you, the result is worth your it be it 5 hours or 40... youll complain if its too easy or if after you put in the work it gets easier. For you envious types, your always going to push for changes to allow you to acquire x with less effort. For role players most of you are going to want variety so that you can be unique (very few rp the mundane).

This is not an attack, were all different, but we should realize our motivations. Its not hard to roll a good character, its often difficult to roll an exceptional character. We should make changes to character generation, but not stat changes or move to cookie cutter characters.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 12-10-2001).]
Glaman
Sojourner

Postby Glaman » Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:02 am

There was another troll that only had a 30something con? I know I had a 36 natural con roll. But I wasn't a troll warrior and I never came close to 50. highest I got was 48, and that was right before the wipe.

You people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Stats really dont mean a whole lot, and those places that you lack stats in you can find in eq. sure, you are going to be able to get 30/50 as a warrior, but who cares. That makes you make a decision, do i want to be a tank or be a hitter. From my experience the mud has become nothing more then a cookie cutter mud with every warrior have basically the same set, every mage type having the same set, etc. On the original glaman these were my stats, naked (best that I can remember)
STR:44
DEX:95
AGI:95
CON:36
POW:80something
INT:88
WIS:96 or close to it
CHA:50something

as you can see i didnt have the greatest stats, but before i got the con boost I had my str sitting at 100, agi at 100, dex at 100, con was in the upper 70's lower 80's, int and wis were all 100. My natural hps at lvl 47 was something around 225hp i think but fully eq'd i had somewhere around 600-700. As you can see, finding the right equipment can make up for any stat flaws that you have, you just have to sacrafice in other areas.

The ability of the character is not in the stats or "equipment" that they have, but in the person that sits at the keyboard and commands the the character.

Glaman Empty Head.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:15 pm

30 mins:

Level: 22 Race: Human Class: Rogue
STR: 90 AGI: 96 DEX: 91 CON: 94
POW: 52 INT: 80 WIS: 47 CHA: 56
Armor Class: 70 (100 to -100)

32 hrs:

Level: 50 Race: Troll Class: Warrior
STR: 91 AGI: 89 DEX: 96 CON: 90
POW: 54 INT: 34 WIS: 65 CHA: 58
Armor Class: -21 (100 to -100)

30 mins:

Level: 41 Race: Dwarf Class: Warrior
STR: 96 AGI: 89 DEX: 91 CON: 96
POW: 69 INT: 53 WIS: 58 CHA: 63
Armor Class: 31 (100 to -100)

20 mins:

Level: 22 Race: Orc Class: Rogue
STR: 99 AGI: 91 DEX: 97 CON: 95
POW: 59 INT: 57 WIS: 50 CHA: 64
Armor Class: -70 (100 to -100)

Honestly.. rolling is SOOOOO easy. Yeah I had a bad streak with cherzra and it took forever, but just keep rolling and you'll get something good. And if you don't, a char with all 70's and 80's is equally well playable. With a few pieces of well picked eq you can boost each stat by 10 points without losing any ac/hit/dam from it. Missing out on 1 hitroll or 10ac isn't the end of the world...

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 12-11-2001).]
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Dec 12, 2001 3:14 am

i want folks to keep the mindset of someone who has never played sojourn before.

are they going to know where to get stat enchancing gear at level 10 that they need? will it even be affordable to them?

will they even KNOW that such gear exists in a game they've never played?

i think too many of us look at things like this with a bias, cause we've been here so long.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 13, 2001 1:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grintor:
<B>will they even KNOW that such gear exists in a game they've never played?

i think too many of us look at things like this with a bias, cause we've been here so long. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps. Most ppl I introduce just assume that stats increase with level... which is not exactly true, but with eq increasing by level, is sorta-kinda an OK assumption to make.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:16 am

grintor

in the same spirit, people that have played here a long time make more out of the stats than there is. You can have a perfectly good char with straight 70s. The only thing that could really hurt you is a low con, but there is hordes of con eq, im sure you could get close to 40 con without hurting too much.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 14, 2001 10:14 pm

let's see, last time I calculated one could have a con of around 50 and still get 100con for ress purposes. I'm sure there's uber eq out there I don't know about, too.
Kokelei
Sojourner

Postby Kokelei » Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:30 am

Level: 23 Race: Human Class: Rogue
STR: 89 AGI: 94 DEX: 91 CON: 96
POW: 63 INT: 63 WIS: 60 CHA: 53
Armor Class: 70 (100 to -100)
Hitroll: 5 Damroll: 4
Alignment: -212 (-1000 to 1000)

Ta Da!!!

That was done in 10 minutes, I was happy.

[This message has been edited by Kokelei (edited 12-29-2001).]
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:44 pm

Interesting feature of the roller... different race/class combos appear to get different chances to roll high in certain attributes. I'm not sure of the details, but it's true.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vipplin:
Interesting feature of the roller... different race/class combos appear to get different chances to roll high in certain attributes. I'm not sure of the details, but it's true.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time you log on, type 'help warrior', it will show you the min. stats for a warrior (and any class you do a help on). This info could probably be present in the roller somehow.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”