tog follow/followers

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Corth
Sojourner

tog follow/followers

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:27 pm

'Meming out' during fights has become more frequent during this incarnation of the mud. In the past, as most of you know, there was a 30 second penalty attached to all mem/pray times. Thus, 'meming out' was not often a very smart thing to do.

One complication that resulted from this change in the way the game is played is that casters who also lead groups are constantly dragging their groupmates out of fights when they leave the room to mem.

I propose the following:

Create a toggle called "tog follower". This would be the same as the current "tog follow." The toggle would determine whether people could follow you or not.

Change the current "tog follow". Make the toggle determine whether the people following you, actually do follow you when you move.

Example: I tog follower and a bunch of people follow me. i lead them to the zone. During a fight i decide to mem out, I tog follow and leave the room. Nobody follows me. When the fight is over, i tog follow again and move the group to the next room.

The current alternatives are to tog follow (which means you need to wait for the entire group to follow you again once your done), or have everyone sit. Shouldn't the leader of the group have more control over their own movements?

This change would also have other benefits. Leaders would be able to CR their own group members from aggro rooms without the unecessary inconvenience of ordering their followers to sit or unfollowing the entire group. Or say a leader needed to run to another part of the zone temporarily for whatever reason and doesn't want to drag his group members.

What do you guys think?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:47 pm

I think it would also let me leave my pets places without destroying them. Two decaying thumbs up.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:08 pm

what would we use then to toggle our spirit pets?? or would we use the dispel magic?? havent tried it on a pet since tog fol was so easy...

You begin casting a spell called "dispel spirit" .. hrrm

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:47 am

It would probably be tog follower then
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:14 am

Good one Corth. Like Tod said this would rule for pet leaders Image
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:04 am

Don't you just let the tank follow the leader and the rest follow the tank? Or is that just in XP-groups.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:15 am

Typically, zones have mobs that are aggro, so you send the tank in first before moving the rest of the group. One thing that i have done in the past is have everyone in the group follow a hitter that isnt a tank.. such as a ranger or rogue, and have this hitter follow me. This arrangement is not ideal because:

A) The leader still does not retain control of the movement of the group. If he wants to move somewhere without the rest of the group he needs to wait for the person being followed to sit, or tog fol, and then later wait for the person to fol him again.

B) If the person who everyone is following dies, it could cause a precarious situation if the need arises to move quickly.

C) The responsibility for the well being of the group falls upon the leader. It is disconcerting for a leader to have the group following someone else. For instance, if this person inadvertently moves (tries to look east, but instead walks east), it could cause a spank.

My feeling is that control over the movement of the group should be firmly within the leader's power and nobody elses.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:17 pm

I just follow a hitter. They don't usually go in first or retreat out. Sounds like it's a plan to have a Tank lead, a Hitter lead and then, of course, the Leader.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:22 pm

Or the gods can just add the 30 second penality back and you won't have to worry about meming out so much Image

*wink*

On a more serious note, I like the idea, of a toggable "group follow".

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”