Innates

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Innates

Postby Daz » Sat May 11, 2002 11:35 pm

I still would LOVE to see some sort of innate random psionic 'wild' talents, only 'awakened' at 25th level (make sure they are small, but there have to be lots of them - so that people can't just keep leveling characters to get the one they want. It should be like it was in ADD where if you DID get one, you were happy, no matter what it was - but every so often you got a really spanky one, and it makes you that much happier.

Better yet - make it 'awaken' at whatever level you should get it if you were a psionicist. I mean, do you REALLY want a level 46 psionic skill? Well, you won't know you have one until you ARE level 46.

maybe level 26 rolls around and you have the ability to create food. nothing big. but as a warrior, that is pretty damn cool. maybe give it it's own ansii for when we do it, to set it apart from the normal skill.

Before you scream "overpowered", just think - this stuff uses mana. Just how much mana does a warrior have anyway? It will never ever ever replace a real psionicist, but it WILL give just a little bit of uniqueness to some people. How rare should it be? 1 in a 100 players? 1 in 25? Well, who knows - I think the imms, should they choose to ever do this, could look into it. there is a TON of potential for this, but I am just thinking out loud.

PS - I really hope sojourn comes up with a real page sometime soon - I know a lot of people first met this game through discoveries of your site on the web.

The stories on this BBS, many of them warrant their own place, for more than just us addicts to view. This game is such a wonderfully fun experience, that it is a damn shame to not share with other mudders who just don't know there is something this good out here.

-daz

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed we strike,
In its strength we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun May 12, 2002 5:23 am

Everybody but Illithids and Yuan-tis have no 'mana'. So your lvl 47 warrior with ultrablast will only be able to go around telling people, "Man, if I wasn't so dumb I could totally use ultrablast!"

But in all seriousness. Heck no to that. Why don't I as a psioncist perhaps get some random cleric skill at level 20? Yeah, now that sounds much better...
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun May 12, 2002 5:25 am

did you ever even play add? the system that this mud is based upon?

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun May 12, 2002 5:43 am

Yes I have. I am a dungeon master as a matter of fact. And if there is one thing that I have learned from this BBS it's that while Sojourn may be based on AD&D, it violates and adjusts a lot of rules based on the need for balance.

The simple fact is that you can't just go giving skills from one class to other classes just to make it more like AD&D.

That was what I was implying by suggesting giving psionicists cleric spells. While your idea makes sense and mine doesn't in terms of AD&D, they both are absurd in terms of Sojourn gameplay and balance.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun May 12, 2002 7:08 am

yes, i see how damaging the ability to cast the equivalent of armor once a day on oneself could be to the balance of the mud. we would never need priests.

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Sun May 12, 2002 8:16 am

Ah, sarcasm.

Anyway. My point is still valid. The characters in this game are split into classes for a reason. No need to be trading skills.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun May 12, 2002 8:40 am

< 323h/323H 156p/156P 139v/139V >

i dunno.. seems like i have Psp to use.. i think daz's idea sounds interesting.. but level 25 i think is too low.. id think level 35-40.. (probably about 40) would make it better.. or even 50.. make something really special about level 50..
even if it is only the ability to do something 1x a day that if you were a different class you could be doing at level 6 Image im sure we could even make a list of possible things ppl could get..

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun May 12, 2002 8:51 am

yeah.. i think i could see at level 45+ ppl say neat.. check this out..

1x a day i can haste myself..
1x a week i can stoneskin myself
1x a day i can armor myself
1x a day i can magic missile
1x a day i can bigbys fist..
1x a week i can fold
1x a month i can moonwell? hehe :P
mage says, every so often i seem to have 2nd attack.. parry,shieldblock, bash dual weild for a short time.. (maybe each person only gets 1 thing.. maybe get another at level 50? which is generally wont be Uber but will give each character their own little thing that is different from anyone else.. (especially if there are like 200 different possible things).. nothing too great.. but neat to have once in awhile..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mishre (edited 05-12-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun May 12, 2002 9:38 am

good to see that someone is seeing my point of just trying to give everyone a little something different instead of trying to think of how to abuse every little skill.

magic missile one a day - for most people garbage - for a warrior - hell, thats damn funny. we dont GET spells to play with.
etc etc. and my characters have power, too - its just that it only shows up in the display for people who use it.

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun May 12, 2002 2:50 pm

So where "latent psychic talents" are supposed to be something extremely rare, and therefore almost never seen, instead you want everybody to have one?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun May 12, 2002 6:08 pm

Before you scream "overpowered", just think - this stuff uses mana. Just how much mana does a warrior have anyway? It will never ever ever replace a real psionicist, but it WILL give just a little bit of uniqueness to some people. How rare should it be? 1 in a 100 players? 1 in 25? Well, who knows - I think the imms, should they choose to ever do this, could look into it. there is a TON of potential for this, but I am just thinking out loud.

where did i say everyone?

------------------
In its speed we strike,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue May 14, 2002 2:01 am

First off, FR is not a psionic world. Psionics exist, but are extremely rare, to the point where they haven't evolved very seperately from magic. Real psionicists are rare enough (illithids as a whole aren't exactly real psions in that most never never develop their psionic capabilities beyond what they are naturally gifted with) and wild talents are basically unheard of. This is a very different world from Athas.

Second, how will this kind of thing be determined? From the description, obviously by random rolls which players have no control over. Giving certain players advantages which they had to put in effort for in the past that allowed them to transcend some of their normal class abilities in the form of artifacts caused a large enough uproar. While wild talents would be miniscule in power compared to relics, the player has to put in no effort to obtain them. Anything that players have no ability to control tends to be bad for balance and cause a lot of complaints, though in this case the latter would heavily outweight the former.

Finally, psionics are not without their downsides. Plenty of monsters love feasting on psionic power or psions in general. If a thought eater can't get its ethereal paws on a real psion though, it'll settle for a wild talent happily though. Just implementing the benefits for being a wild talent doesn't paint a complete picture and I doubt people would be happy with being able to mindblast once a day or something like that in exchange for being prime targets for being viewed as a choice appetizer to certain mobs.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 14, 2002 2:41 am

by adding such skills you'd make several classes much better at soloing.

the administration has been going out of their way to kill the solo game and make this a group specific mud.

you're ideas wont fly, sorry.

thank god we're not ADD strict, or the drow wouldnt be allowed to group with anyone.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue May 14, 2002 9:44 pm

well, id just like to point out that nothing mentioned above would allow anyone to solo with anymore ability than they had before..
the other thing is ill have to agree, i don't see this sort of thing as being a feasible part of sojourn.. just because either 1) a few ppl get it and it pisses everyone else off.. 2) everyone gets it and then the question is, why does everyone have these magical or psychic abilities, which really doesn't seem to fit into this world...

(Of course if they did do the thing were a few ppl get it it would be like a 1 in 100 chance at character creation that your char is flagged to have such and such skill and such and such level) Image

------------------
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 15, 2002 1:44 am

anything can be used as a way to solo, or make it easier.

anything! Image
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed May 15, 2002 2:18 am

that is true.. potions should be removed, they promote soloing Image

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 15, 2002 7:35 pm

Or the more likely alternative...

C) All the power players who don't get a talent power level and reroll until they get a char with one, then everybody has one.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”