Snake Idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Galkar
Sojourner

Snake Idea

Postby Galkar » Mon May 13, 2002 2:31 am

I was reading another thread about groups being caster heavy on the evil side of things. This probably won't affect it much, but is an idea for snakes. I was thinking about the body of a snake, and how that would affect it as a warrior.... Would it be feasible to say, make yuan-ti warriors have less failed bash lag, so they can get up quicker? Or give them a chance of not falling over when missing a bash and give that a small amount of lag? I'm not sure this is an asset to warriors at high levels, but at lower levels, when bashing isn't full proof, it gives snakes a chance to recover quicker from a failed bash, and possibly avoid the chance of something bad happening. Just a thought....

Galkar - God, I ramble -

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon May 13, 2002 11:00 am

Crappy Idea, eh? LOL

------------------
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon May 13, 2002 11:14 am

I think I'm the only one trying to play a snake warrior this wipe.

The pro's from innate scaleskin/vipermind does not even come close to replacing the lost slots..

Yuan-ti is basically a human warrior with bodyslam and missing 4 slots of eq.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon May 13, 2002 11:41 am

your idea for yuan i dont think would make much difference in the long run. the slots translate into hps/hit/dam. any "bash" feature would be a novelty just like snake bite is. yea you have it but what difference does it make. unless your going for the lets give them a bunch of useless skills and see if it makes them happy (didnt work for ranger).

as for the comment regarding evils not having enough melee. who says thats a bad thing? its called diversity. id rather not see evil rangers or anti or paladins under any name; yall have had enough problem with them. evils are efficient, simple, and brutal. blow it up, all at once if you can.

however, i would like to get some perspective on why goodies take so many melee to zone. why? casters are undeniably more powerful cept in a few specific situations. there arent any zones where you dont have time to mem...

on yuan:
4 slots is an awfully large a penalty in an eq based game. you lose alot of ability to fit your eq to situations not to mention the ever increasing hit/dam/hp gap as new better eq is impd.

there are others who play around with yuan warriors. and yuan rogues also get innate apply poison. and you forgot to mention they lose more moves per room than normal folks.
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Mon May 13, 2002 1:04 pm

Something else has always bothered me about the poor, woeful yuan....this may be dismissed as "overbalancing" or what not...but in terms of their casters (and all classes of snake in general), shouldn't it be harder if not close to impossible for a snake to be bashed? I know this borders on one of those "reality" vs. "playability" vs. "game code" issues...but for gods sake...they lose 4 eq slots...and please don't tell me that their innates offset this handicap...b/c I'm betting every yuan would trade his/her innates just for EAR slots...much less say, a ring slot for the tail or what not...*shrug*

Feedback/flames??

Tovar
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon May 13, 2002 2:34 pm

What you guys are saying is pretty much what I had gathered when I started my yuan warrior.
Kiryan, I remember reading someones post(can't remember who) that there are really only two decent evil warrior races. I wasn't really looking to change the caster heavy groups or add melee to the evil side, I was mainly looking for a way to give evils another decent option for a warrior class/race combo. Trolls got regen, Ogres got bashing/size, was thinking about something for Yuan-ti warriors to make them more "appealing" to play. Anywho, I just like the idea of playing a Yuan-ti warrior, seems kewl to me. And I like Hyssk :P

As for the eq slots, 2 ear, legs, and feet, you can loose what, ac30 +5+5 maybe? More than that (I'm not really sure, just guessing)? That's a killer loss to be had when yer innates only give you ac10 +1+1 or so. Possibly make the innates become better over time?

Level 1-10 ac10 +1+1
Level 11-20 ac15 +2+2
Level 21-30 ac 20 +3+3
Level 31-40 ac 25 +4+4
Level 41-50 ac 30 +5+5

If that's about what's lost from the eq slots at those levels, maybe that would work. It's not very over balancing imho, since there is the chance the innates will fall during combat, you still have to pay attention to them. Anywho, enough rambling.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Galkar (edited 05-13-2002).]
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon May 13, 2002 2:54 pm

ac30 5/5 wouldn't be nearly enough..

Depending on configuration a yuan-ti would lose either..
ac15 hit+3 dam+8 pf-acid
or
ac10 hp+65 sv_pet-5 dam+4 proc-stone

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon May 13, 2002 3:34 pm

I wrote a million and one suggestions for yuan-ti, ranging from bash resistance (like manscorps) to lower movement rates to venomous bites. I guess the same thing happenened to them like the newbie suggestions I spent hours writing, after Miax personally asked me write up all the things that could be done to improve life for newbs. Never heard a response or saw any imped.

Anyway who cares, I'm just a leper now remember? Apparently there's more time to play net cop than to actually respond to something you asked for.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon May 13, 2002 3:38 pm

yea take a look at present day eq

ears:
4 dam 2 hit or 30 hps and either 4 hit or 4 dam or 2/2
legs:
15 hp 1 dam or -5 ss 2 dam or 15 hp proc stone
feet:
15 hp 2 dam !charm !sleep or 15 hp 12 ac 2 hit.

and this is before you start factoring in the loss in ability to mix and match eq for the best set of prots/saves/ac/attributes ect...

oh and innate scale at high levels has a small chance to stone you. so thats kinda cool for a warrior if it ever actually stoned.

and duegar warriors are not a bad choice, but they kinda half way. they not really tanks (not so hot agi) they not really ogres. they have 50 less hps than trolls but lack trolls susceptibility to fire. they dayblind (most consider that a negative). orcs, drow, and yuan are pointless. much like gnome, elf, halfling, and human.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-13-2002).]
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon May 13, 2002 4:04 pm

Well, it was worth a shot to at least post i guess. Not gonna stop playin my snake warrior. Hehe, thanks for the feedback. It helps that it was constructive Image

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon May 13, 2002 4:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>I wrote a million and one suggestions for yuan-ti, ranging from bash resistance (like manscorps) to lower movement rates to venomous bites. I guess the same thing happenened to them like the newbie suggestions I spent hours writing, after Miax personally asked me write up all the things that could be done to improve life for newbs. Never heard a response or saw any imped.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*comf* cherz. I was proyuan too. Still am.

------------------
You group-say 'we should be fine... in theory... flee a lot'
Oteb group-says 'i will log that. '
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Mon May 13, 2002 4:12 pm

And it does get better. At least during alpha, my 50th level snake got 35 ac from scaleskin and 5/4 or 5/5 from vipermind.

Imo, they aren't meant to be warriors, but they make poor casters as well.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon May 13, 2002 4:57 pm

Some ideas for yuan ti-

constriction: A yuan ti can attempt to grab a foe smaller than itself and wrap it in its coils. This effectively acts like the garrote skill except without the chance of being flipped.

histachi minions: A yuan ti can attempt to turn an incapacitated human into a histachi, the half lizard breed of mindless thralls.

------------------
-Yayaril
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon May 13, 2002 9:02 pm

Nice ideas. I likes! Another Idea

Tail Lash - Basically a replacement for kick, only it has a chance of bashing and/or stunning the victim and can be used during combat. Not that kick is used often anywho with shield punch, might be helpful for casters though in solo situations.

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon May 13, 2002 9:50 pm

posted this before, but I personally feel that upgrading befriend reptile could be the most helpful solution of all.

Make them able to befriend caster yuanti of less than half their level.

------------------
You group-say 'we should be fine... in theory... flee a lot'
Oteb group-says 'i will log that. '
Orvik
Sojourner

Postby Orvik » Mon May 13, 2002 11:18 pm

I actually get better than ac 30 +5h/+5d and it IS level based including a notch at lvl 50 which makes it worth the time getting there. Sure I could put together 4 pieces of eq that are better but I love tailsweep so other rogues suck Image

Yuan-ti melee classes are comparable to humans, its casters who get the shaft imo

Pythrrus

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orvik (edited 05-13-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Tue May 14, 2002 2:22 am

Speaking of eq slots... (I don't know why I'd bring this up)

Illithids have no ears. How do they wear earrings?

Ah, but before I shoot myself in the foot getting Illithids downgraded (like my ideas on Illithids are ever listened to, heh), I'd like to point out that they DO have four tentacles worthy of eq.

[This message has been edited by Izizimmez (edited 05-13-2002).]
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue May 14, 2002 2:24 am

hehehe, Downgrade Illithids!! NO NO, wait! Upgrade Yuan-ti!!

Ssenar - must.... be.... equal... -

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue May 14, 2002 9:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Izizimmez:
<B>
Illithids have no ears. How do they wear earrings?
[This message has been edited by Izizimmez (edited 05-13-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats simple.. stick them to the sides of their heads.. wouldn't be impossible Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue May 14, 2002 10:31 pm

"Illithids have no ears. How do they wear earrings?"

They wrap them around in two of their tentacles while projecting "I feel pretty" in falsetto.

Actually, I thought I did see ears in the one of the mind flayer illustrations used in a 2nd edition monster manual. Looks like they've lost them in the 3rd edition MM though.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Tue May 14, 2002 11:41 pm

I own a copy of the 2nd edition Illithiad, basically a 100 page book only about Illithids. No ears. *shrug* Maybe you saw a bad drawing. They have "auditory canals" which are "small, ridged holes on either side of its head."
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Wed May 15, 2002 12:53 am

so they dangle them like christmas ornaments??? on fishing hook type things??

Edit:
ok so OBVIOUSLY i didnt .. any reason to be snippy about it?? sheesh

what do i know tho .. im the Ogre shaman with 78 charisma .. snicker .. pretty to who??? Image
------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-

[This message has been edited by Karikhan (edited 05-14-2002).]
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Wed May 15, 2002 1:16 am

Obviously you don't know what an Illithid looks like.
Allow my friend Sartorix to elaborate.

Edit:
I wasn't being snippy. Image When I first played Sojourn I pictured them as floating squids.

[This message has been edited by Izizimmez (edited 05-15-2002).]
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Wed May 15, 2002 1:22 am

for more images go here:http://www.geocities.com/terrorsmartyr/boe/illithids.html

Disco

[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 05-14-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu May 16, 2002 3:08 pm

Mind flayers have no family structure. Their social activities include eating, communicating with the elder-brain, and debating on the best tactics to conquer the Underdark. For amusement, they inflict pain on their captives and force slaves to fight in gladiatorial games.

coooool.

Oh, and wouldn't it be worth it to trade two earring slots for two held slots?

------------------
Azuth tells you 'were you leading that disaster?'
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Fri May 17, 2002 3:23 am

Anyway...wasn't this topic about snakes? Heh, sorry for getting everyone sidetracked Galkar.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri May 17, 2002 3:23 pm

Not a problem, doesn't seem like anythings being looked into anywho. Just thought I'd try.

------------------
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun May 19, 2002 5:25 pm

There's something in the works for snakes, it should be in soon.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun May 19, 2002 7:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>There's something in the works for snakes, it should be in soon.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

woot

------------------
Gyrx tells you '100% spank?'
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Mon May 20, 2002 7:59 pm

Man, I love it when the Imms say that. Heheh. Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon May 20, 2002 8:51 pm

There's something in the works for snakes, but yuan-ti don't get anything new. When a yuan-ti summons up a snake, they come with a little cowboy hat now. Cool, huh?

------------------
-Yayaril
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed May 22, 2002 1:39 am

I knew that'd get a response Image Thanks Shev!

------------------
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu May 23, 2002 12:12 am

How about if snake gets beat on, they get stoneskin and spit out some type of poison?

sok has mange to get through work's firewall.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”