BANISHMENT
Spell.

Area of effect: victim
Aggressive: Yes
Cumulative: No
Duration: Permanent
Class/Circle: Cleric 9th
Type of spell: Spellcast summoning

A banishment spell will only work on summoned extraplanar creatures. The spell, when successful, uses the cleric's deity to force the targeted creature back to its own plane of existance. This spell will only work on a creature of lesser experience than the cleric.

Thoughts?

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 23, 2002 8:39 am

nifty

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 10:06 am

Hmm...I'm thinking No. You realize how powerful it would be? Basically you could walk into a room with any summoned demon/devil/elemental/spirit/etc and boom, single cast they are gone.

Basically instant kill for any summoned mob smaller than you, I can't see how this is good for balance...

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast

[This message has been edited by Gargamel (edited 05-23-2002).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu May 23, 2002 3:07 pm

The spell could have restrictions and be perfectly balanced to the game.

Do remember that this would likely only work on the prime material plane. Also, most mobs summoned in have magic resistance and could then also save versus the spell. I don't see how it is any more powerful than assassinate, considering it would be limited a great deal.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 4:24 pm

Agree Garg...

When I fist read the spell it sounds like a clericable 'assasination' skill. Too powerful for most zones if successful.

------------------
Laduguer the Exile Sojourn Administrator
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 23, 2002 4:26 pm

How about this only effecting demons that have been recently summoned? such as a marilith summoning a succubus, you banish her back b/c she's um tired from getting here?

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop2/stuntaname/icyhot.gif
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu May 23, 2002 5:56 pm

If this spell worked only on the gated in hoardes of devils and demons that so often get gated in by greater demons, this would be fine, and easily balanced. The mobs get a save, of course and it will only affect one monster at a time. Unles you have 5 clerics, you've still got to balance silencing, healing, etc with this new spell. . .and demons are gated in 3 or more at a time anyway. . give the spell a longer chant time. .. seems pretty balanced to me.

No longer Lost.

------------------
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu May 23, 2002 11:42 pm

kinda like how dispel magic should work on summoned and animated mobs huh? :P

Postby Guest » Fri May 24, 2002 3:06 am

--- I don't see how it is any more powerful than assassinate, considering it would be limited a great deal. ---

Well, the difference is, that you could cast it over and over and over, where as assassinate can only be used once every what..24 mins or something like that?

And sure, we could make it a skill, but again, it would just make some fights twinky imho. I personally am not a fan of this.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Fri May 24, 2002 4:06 am

solution that would make it more workable:
long chant time + put it in the same circle as fheal :-)

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 24, 2002 7:18 pm

I would find it cool if it just teleports the mob to elsewhere in the zone. It could really make things dicey, as you'd have to fight one less fiend, but you'd also have to worry about it dimming back in afterwards.

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat May 25, 2002 2:08 pm

There are a lot of ways this could be balanced. It might only affect low ranking gated demons like dretches and lemures while barbazu, cornugons, and other bigger things would ignore it. It could have a long casting time. But all these things mean that it probably wouldn't be useful since many demon fights tend to require lots of healing. I think it would be more feasible and useful to make a cleric spell that specifically hurts demons, celestials, and other extraplanar beings, kind of like the anti-undead spells.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Sat May 25, 2002 7:29 pm

I think the need for some sort of anti-demon spells is undeniable.

It need not be banishment as written, but anti-demon spells are one of the major components missing on sojourn (both balance-wise and to match the gaming universe).

As it stands, demons and devils severely change the balance of some fights. While I won't argue that these fights should be made easy by any single spell, it would be a boon to players to not feel so helpless against the summoned hordes.

It would also be nice to see the protection-from-summoned-creatures effects of protection vs. evil/good implemented. Similar protection to prot vs. animals or undead is what I have in mind. Only the rare "small" demons would be impacted.

Regards,
Jorus
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun May 26, 2002 6:12 pm

I think the spell would be pretty balanced if it only worked on summoned/gated in creatures like someone suggested. Only works on mobs lower level than the caster of course, which I think most summoned devils and stuff are. Naturally, having it work against big demons and normal residents of a plane would be bad.
But it would be cool to be able to zap one of the devils that a barbazu or conugon gates in Image
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Tue May 28, 2002 2:56 pm

It would also be nice to see the protection-from-summoned-creatures effects of protection vs. evil/good implemented. Similar protection to prot vs. animals or undead is what I have in mind. Only the rare "small" demons would be impacted.

Regards,
Jorus[/B][/QUOTE]

In a game I use to play there was a cleric ability called "create holy ground" it stopped all combat until a player attacked or used an offensive spell. So you could stand and stare at the demon and he stared at you as long as you didn't attack, but only worked in that room if you left and it tracked you lost the benefit of the holy ground. This was a special gift given to you by your "god" and could only be used every so many hours etc.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”