playtest new zones

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Nokie
Sojourner

playtest new zones

Postby Nokie » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:34 am

please! So we don't have to see a zone drastically change a donzen times over a few weeks (i.e. elemental tower)

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:13 am

100000000% agree.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Jormundgaand
Sojourner

Postby Jormundgaand » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:35 am

What I've run into building my (rather large) zone, is that your design, write and test it by yourself. Even a high level zone with very hard fights. Which means you don't get to test it with a group of equipped players doing the fights, you have at best 1 test pc Image I'm afraid this is inherent to keeping it a 'secret' - the zone will be changed once the author has some feedback on how real groups abuse the zone. Or are abused by it Image

Jorm
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:13 am

disagree, dont delay or especially make zone additions any harder than it already is.

we can fuking live with eq or zone changes, just use some judgement when going there, buying or selling eq from there, or questing for the first couple months. Treat it like a brand new zone every time you do it until you are sure its not gonna change anymore. If some shit is way to easy, use your brain and expect it to get much harder. If some shit is just way too good, expect it to get downgraded, made rareload, or made quest.

If you dont wanna spank because something changed, dont go there till its been in a long time.

If you dont wanna work on quests that are broken and changing constantly, dont go there till its been in a long time.

If you dont wanna get under or over powered eq then have the stats change, dont go there till its been in a long time.

This is not a business, where is our exposure if a fucked up zone goes in? What can't be fixed with god intervention?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:29 pm

Well Kiryan you bring up alot of good points. If we follow your ideas, then the gods are just going to say "why are you doing brass all the time and requesting reboots when you haven't done the new zone yet?"

As for Jor's post... if one person can figure out that u can lure somethign somewhere or just teleport out or something 'twinky', then why can't the area god do it while play testing? If having one player to ptest a zone is a problem, why not gather some gods and form a group? Alot of gods here have high level morts and know how to play.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:17 am

We as gods don't have time to collect 4-5 of us to test a zone for a hour. Our time is at a premium, and we do the best with what we can. Players should try to report irregularities rather then try twinking them. It would make zone fixes go much faster.

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>Well Kiryan you bring up alot of good points. If we follow your ideas, then the gods are just going to say "why are you doing brass all the time and requesting reboots when you haven't done the new zone yet?"

As for Jor's post... if one person can figure out that u can lure somethign somewhere or just teleport out or something 'twinky', then why can't the area god do it while play testing? If having one player to ptest a zone is a problem, why not gather some gods and form a group? Alot of gods here have high level morts and know how to play.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if every single high-level group on the mud decided on the same answer to that series of questions.

Probability of that happening: 0.005%

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:39 am

Also understand the sheer number of Gods it takes to get a zone in. All the area guys work on balancing items and mobs and such the best they can, the coders work on procs and new zone stuff that the place needs...

And ideas about the zone are discussed with us to make sure that things are cool...as Gods, we already know things about the zone, hwo the fights work, what procs there are, what mobs are casters, how to get around puzzles, etc....it only does us so much good to test it ourselves.

That being said, we can only do so much ptesting (not even counting the time factor)...and getting players on testmud isn't good either because it gives one group a huge advantage over all the rest, as they get to see things before anyone else does...favoritism complaints anyone? :P

The Area guys do their best, compliment them on getting zones in, deal with the changes and go have fun :P

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:14 am

nod dalar.

im just saying if its a big deal to the proverbial you, stay out of the zone.

im sure there will be no shortage of others who will go and playtest it in the first few months it is in, bugs and all. sometimes they will get away with murder, other times they will straight get murdered. but, it doesn't have to directly affect you... you can just stay out.

First time we did cloud invasion, all the eq was mediocre and the stabbers couldnt fly (let alone flee or track). Next group up got shit stabbed out of them cuz they got the fly flag. some time later, the eq got a big ass upgrade. Could some basic flaws have been fixed pre-imp? very likely. Was it a big deal (no) and did it get fixed (yes).

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:24 am

Also keep this in mind, some zones are meant to be very dynamic.
I think the trend is leaning more that way too.
Area guys are doing great, applaud them they like it.

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:54 pm

I look at the changes to the new zones as if they are dynamic. As Kiryan said, don't expect things not to change in a new zone. Prepare to be surprised by new things/changes. This is actually what makes zones fun imo.

It takes a good group to respond to the unexpected. If you throw together a group that does not play together much and go to a new zone expect to be seriously challenged. New zones offer a chance for the people in the group to show their skill more so than in established zones where it is mostly the leaders skill/knowledge that determines if it is smooth or rough trip.

If your running around with a group that is not paying attention, doesn't know it's role, needs to be held by the hand, (then your in a Mori group (just kidding)) then you should not be in a new zone.

Can't wait to get to this zone. I am very sorry I logged early the past two nights.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:10 am

In the olden days players ptested zones on the testmud so there wasn't the problem with getting enough gods together to ptest it.

From what I've read here, that no longer happens.

The intent of my post was to have the zones ptested by players on the testmud for balance to help reduce the wackieness we see now (with et for example).... but I didn't know players don't ptest anymore, so disregard.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:18 am

ptesting that is not open to everyone is just asking for cries of favoritism. personally, if there was a clone of sojourn with no players or anything, I would go there with a troll warrior, dwarf cleric, or some necro/lich - and play it fulltime.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:07 am

actually daz, you might be surprised.. that playing a clone isn't the same as the main port Image i played a few muds that had a test server they put new stuff on first for feedback/bug reporting and stuff like that.. ppl didn't play unless they wanted to attempt to break the new stuff so it could be fixed before it went in, but otherwise it was dead.... because there was no player base.. what most of them did was just copy over pfiles every couple months.. and disabled character creation.. other ones allowed character creation, had no pfiles but you could make max level chars.. (or any level for that matter) for any kind of testing you wanted.. both have their advantages/disadvantages.. but really, there wasn't anything there to do when not testing new things so there were no problems with too many ppl taking it over as their new home Image (especially for the one that transfered pfiles from the main mud.. losing your characters every month or 2 can be annoying Image )

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by old depok:
<B>New zones offer a chance for the people in the group to show their skill more so than in established zones where it is mostly the leaders skill/knowledge that determines if it is smooth or rough trip.

If your running around with a group that is not paying attention, doesn't know it's role, needs to be held by the hand, (then your in a Mori group (just kidding)) then you should not be in a new zone.

Can't wait to get to this zone. I am very sorry I logged early the past two nights.

Ah, so your true colors show! :P

------------------
Touk says 'know you not I am Touk, slayer of stupid giants?'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:57 am

mishre, i have ALWAYS chosen the ptust mud over the pain server when available. i played duris' test mud until they took it down. i want to have fun, and really . . . the whole clique' thing on sojourn doesn't include me, which leaves me out of the fun. i can't solo things, because everything that i know is twinked, rares are camped, and i have to spend all my time hunting, or playing. i choose playing. take away the players, and i would be having fun :P

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:58 am

wah

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> Ah, so your true colors show! :P

Hehe Mori. No reflection on you. It comes with having the guts to take players who are new/inexperienced to zones. This does so much for the mud by the way. Does make for some interesting situations though :>)

Keep up the good work :>)

Depok

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”