Troll Rogues

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Drache
Sojourner

Troll Rogues

Postby Drache » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:36 pm

You walk into them all the time as mobs. Who else would play the crap out of being troll rogue? I'm kinda hoping since there are mobs that are troll rogues, *beg* *plead* maybe have players have that class too! If I remember right, in AD&D and in this mud both, the dex for an troll (along w/agility) rock. Like 20 in AD&D, so backstabbing trollio isn't far fetch is it? It'd make life for the solo'ist rogue much more fun!

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:49 pm

Ya, i'd say implement it. It would be a pretty wimpy class/race combo, so only true roleplayers would roll one.

/Disoputlip
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:56 pm

BACKSTAB
Applied skill.

Syntax: backstab <victim>
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Rogue 1st, Bard 15th, Battlechanter 15th

A backstab is an attempt to sneak up on the victim and place a weapon
in the victim's back, at exactly the point where it will do the most
damage. The amount of damage incurred is dependent on the proficiency
of the backstabber.

You may only backstab with piercing weapons. Rogues with good
enough proficiency at dual wielding weapons may double-backstab if
they wield two piercing weapons.

Note: Trolls and Ogres can not use the backstab skill.

Methinks this won't be happening soon.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:56 pm

Are you kidding me? With the regenerative powers of a troll, I'd kick major booty solo.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:25 pm

Yeah it would be anything but 'wimpy' IMHO. I would definitely roll one up and play it if I could be a troll or ogre rogue.

Of course, first-hand experience could prove otherwise, but I think it would be a very powerful combination.

Oh, my vote (if anyone cares) is 'no' to this idea. But I'm just a simple locksmith!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Note: Trolls and Ogres can not use the backstab skill.

Methinks this won't be happening soon.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**Hmm, why can't trolls backstab? There are mob trolls that do? Djinn are gargantuan compared, they aren't any more agile either, yet they'll carve a hole through yer dscales! Also, can't say cuz they're so huge...comparatively, a human shouldn't backstab a halfling, if relative size is the reasoning. Ogres are clumbsy, not trolls *whimper* Show me the trollie!

------------------
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:50 am

I think that helpfile dates back to when trolls/ogres could still be mercenaries and would have had the backstab skill. However, giving them backstab was just too insanely powerful due to their immense strength, so it was disabled.. My history may be a little off here, but I think that's the gist of it..

So as you can see, the reason there aren't troll rogues is that they would just be too obscenely powerful, what with their insane regen, and really high dex/str.

-laxlez
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:15 am

But Duergar are stronger and have same dexterity bonus. Lose the dayblind, but keep the fire prone hmm

------------------
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:14 pm

ive said this b4 mostly just trying to be funny but seriously tho, TROLL ROGUES!!)
sure they could backstab like mad, but i think whut they would lack in int based skills like search, pick lock, disarm and prolly track and hide(tho i think a troll should be good at those two) would make up for any greater power they get with a fierce backstab.
i dont play a rogue, but if there were troll rogues i prolly would
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:28 pm

A rogue's strongest skills are in their offensive set, and anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't played a rogue. I've spent tons of my time running from one part of the map to another, or being gated/welled in just to pick a lock or sneak a CR without ever being invited along for the group. Admittedly the sneak/hide combo is very powerful, but it's not gonna net you a zone group in most cases, your damage does that. Perhaps things are different for the evil side because of the different group dynamics, but solo troll rogues would be unbelievably powerful... can a troll stand up against a cold/fireshield with their regen?
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:37 pm

Seems like everybody keeps saying how 'Strong' troll would be. Duergar is stronger. Troll would gain and lose in same fashion. You'd gain dayvision, but probably die to one incendiary, as do most trollies..

------------------
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:48 pm

There are troll rogues all over in TrollBark aren't there?:P If there can be firegiant rogues how come there can't be troll rogues!

The only thing I think that would be scary is a troll being able to hide and essentially rest at the same time. But the regen is pretty seriously penalized with the extra fire damage.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:18 am

i doubt troll rogues would be useful for anything besides soloing. even with their evade, they gonna get hardcore owned in zone. Imp them, wont make any difference to zoning power.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:00 pm

troll rogue would kick hiney. great regen + hide. evase/shield eliminate clouds. infra. ability to regrow body parts if get chopped off for thievery. win-win

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”