Restrings

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Kifle
Sojourner

Restrings

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:51 pm

Ok, since the badge thread didn't go anywhere, I will start this one which is similar but not quite the same.

The present way to get restrings is as perfect as it can get if this is the way we will do things. The random picking of people works, but leaves a lot of people left out and jaded. Problem #1.

Plat has no use but for potions/poisons and some quests. Problem #2.

What if we made it to where you can get one restring for writing an RP story, 50k plat( or some high price...something that would cause desire for plat), attaining 50th lvl, and doing a god-run quest when applied for? This would still require the present god-run quest, would make 50th lvl something to shoot for other than a few extra skill notches, would get more depth into characters, and would make plats worth something and desireable again.

It would also be nice if you could recieve a badge for this also, but that might be pushing it...and plz dont turn this into a flame war...i would like to get some serious player, and especially god feedback on this.

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:55 pm

Hey this sounds like a good use for prestige! *gasps from the crowds*

:)

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:58 pm

Wasn't that part of the original propaganda for prestige, anyway?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:05 pm

If you could write an RP story and pay some platinum for a restrung item, that'd be perfect. Add in the god run quest and the quest gods (Who seem to be slowing it down right now anyhow) will be flooded.

------------------
-Yayaril
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:19 pm

Y'know, I tried hard to figure out a way to put some sort of hard-coded restring quest into the game, and could never make it work without the possibility of twinkage.

This, however, I like even better for several reasons:

1. It makes plat desirable again.
2. It still requires a certain amount of skill and RP.
3. It eliminates the "luck" factor in earning a restring by being part of a GRQ or through some other means, but still maintains a high level of god involvement (story review, etc.)
4. It allows individuals to tailor their restring to fit their character on their terms.

I would ask the gods to *strongly* consider some version of this for those of us who would like the RP flavor a restring affords but may not have the ability to devote long periods of time to GRQs.

-Vandic
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Calinth:
Wasn't that part of the original propaganda for prestige, anyway?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miax never specified what prestige would be for, but did say it would have future use. 50k plat isn't that hard to get and it will just cause the elite to hoard eq and sell it to the newbies, thus pushing the newbies furthur away from this MUD. I agree with Nokie that prestige should be used for restrings, but any player can 'farm' prestige though by killing easy dragons and raking in the prestige.

------------------
You group-say 'Go-chan looks like a man'
Sinusosaxiy group-projects 'if she is a man call me gay'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:27 pm

Flooding wouldn't be that bad since the plat would be a very high thing. Its not like paying 3k or something. How many people can say they have had 50k in the bank at one time except for the people that already have restrings or are considere l33t and have a better chance at getting restrings in the first place because they have the time to play more?

So, this would allow for people to sell some of their spares that would not normaly be sold, but rather traded.

It would also take care of the enormous amounts of plat in the game.

Could be allowed only to do it once per person not chr. or you could raise the price of the second restrings.. example, 1st restring 50k, second 150k...etc...

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>Flooding wouldn't be that bad since the plat would be a very high thing. Its not like paying 3k or something. How many people can say they have had 50k in the bank at one time except for the people that already have restrings or are considere l33t and have a better chance at getting restrings in the first place because they have the time to play more?

So, this would allow for people to sell some of their spares that would not normaly be sold, but rather traded.

It would also take care of the enormous amounts of plat in the game.

Could be allowed only to do it once per person not chr. or you could raise the price of the second restrings.. example, 1st restring 50k, second 150k...etc...

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imho if we did this we would see the elite players who have all eq destroy the MUD each reboot and hoard the eq so they can sell the eq to the newbies for plat. In the process, the elite will get more plat from the mobs AND the newbies. The newbies won't be able to get eq for themselves b/c they have high levels bulldozing vault and jot for auctions or sales. Scaling the money for the next restring will cause more and more greed imho.

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:07 pm

Not to mention it detracts from the low level with 50 whole plats to their name who gets lucky and saves the world on pure circumstance!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:18 pm

Ok, so giving more than one restring in this way would hurt the economy and younger players, but would having one hurt that bad?

------------------
Laxlez
Sojourner

Postby Laxlez » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:53 pm

Well.. I think there's some faulty logic in thinking that 50k per restring would lead to hording of EQ and selling to newbies. There aren't that many players in this game.. Not compared to Soj1/Toril.. There aren't that many real newbies out there.. And if you're getting all the plats too, how are these few newbies going to be able to buy anything from you?

I've been playing on here for over a year.. I've been level 50 for several months.. And I've never had more than 7,000 plat.. Right now, I'm at about 2,500.. Yes, there are a few of you out there who have tens or hundreds of thousands of plat, but the majority of us never break 10k.

I honestly don't know what I think about the idea of being able to buy restrings.. Regardless, I think that anyone should be able to get one restring by a process that includes at least either a god-given quest or a good RP story. If you want to throw in a plat fee, that's fine.. But like what was said earlier, the only people who have enough plats to be able to afford paying 50k are those who already have restrings..

Would having a huge price tag on restrings make plat more valueable? Yeah, in the same way that being able to buy a million dollar house seeming makes the US dollar more valueable.. But if it ends up like that on the mud, it's gonna be just as same as in the US.. A few people will have million dollar houses (or restrings), whereas the majority of us will have 75,000 houses and never have a significant amount saved up.

-Laxlez
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>Ok, so giving more than one restring in this way would hurt the economy and younger players, but would having one hurt that bad?

one? hmm maybe not. As long as the gods strictly enforcement and only one restring per player unless a restring is given for a special circumstance. You wouldn't want me trading a pair of scorp earrings to someone to give their restring to me right? Image

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:32 am

I'd drop 50k to restring my surtur on a dime. That's why I suggested the RP story restring awhile ago.

------------------
-Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:31 am

I suggest restrings cost stories and perhaps an incidental plat or prestige cost (incidental to a newbie).

I think unlimited restrings based on a plat/prestige cost is a bad idea. I think that 50k plat would be way too much even though restrings are far more valuable than 50k (to zone elite). The main reason would be the plausible negatives associated with twinking/selling/hoarding, but the main reason would be to fortify the RP dimension of the game and provide an alternate path to "greatness."

You should be able to trade restrings. It would add a dimension to the economy considering many will trade their left sack for a restring and that the method of acquiring restrings has nothing to do with the dominant forces in the existing economy. Id hope that folks wouldn't trade them, but it would be hard to police and ultimately not worth trying to keep track of.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
It would add a dimension to the economy considering many will trade their left sack for a restring and that the method of acquiring restrings has nothing to do with the dominant forces in the existing economy.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Left sack? How many sacks do you have?

------------------
-Yayaril
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:56 am

just give me a restring already cause i'm l33t and sexy.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:17 am

Gods, any suggestions?! Thanks for the good criticism guys, its what i was looking for.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>just give me a restring already cause i'm l33t and sexy.

Corth

o groan!
Ambar pokes Corth

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:38 am

I definately think 50K is too small an amount. We are only a year into the mud, and for instance, imphras just posted 1Million plat in guild coffer. That would equate to 20 restrings! probly one for each active player? quite hefty amount really. Probably, many folks could easily attain a few hundred K, shrug, I think restrings should be more special than that.

I would think 6000 prestige, + a story would work, that way most lvl 50 chars could get one, and eventually if you are lucky could get 2. Perhaps use plat in quests to get more prestige? shrug, I could definately see more hoarding going on if restrings were the order of the day, I personally would probably cancel any yard sales! hehe, well maybe *giggle*,

------------------
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:15 pm

We wouldn't us eguild money for restrings tho.. we're saving up to buy a castle when guildhalls are in Image
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:31 pm

Like the idea of guild badges.

I like the idea of one restring based upon role play story and prestige (mainly since I have had at most 3K P at any time during the game).

Would love to restring one of my nebula's into the Shrunkin Head of the Cloud Giant Shaman!

Clan warfare RULES!

Muhahaha.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>I definately think 50K is too small an amount. We are only a year into the mud, and for instance, imphras just posted 1Million plat in guild coffer. That would equate to 20 restrings! probly one for each active player? quite hefty amount really. Probably, many folks could easily attain a few hundred K, shrug, I think restrings should be more special than that.

I would think 6000 prestige, + a story would work, that way most lvl 50 chars could get one, and eventually if you are lucky could get 2. Perhaps use plat in quests to get more prestige? shrug, I could definately see more hoarding going on if restrings were the order of the day, I personally would probably cancel any yard sales! hehe, well maybe *giggle*,

uh...did you miss the part about also needing to be 50th lvl+rp story+godrun quest?

Even if it were easy to get 100k plat, which it kinda is but isnt for 80% of the mud, you would still (as you redundantly suggested) need to be 50th lvl and have an rp story.

What would make it harder would be having to apply and wait for your god-run quest. And, even still, if you cant finish this quest, you have just wasted your 50k...restrings should not be handed out like candy, but everybody should have a chance to be an individual and broaden their character if they wish to RP.

There would be minimal hoarding if you could only aquire one restring in this way, i dont see where you guys are seeing this at.

------------------
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:24 pm

Okay, lets look at this from a slightly different perspective. Lets say that we make RP stories and 50k plat the requirements for a restring. Thats not hard at all (no i dont care what you think.) In no time everyone and their dog will have a personal restring.

Who is going to moderate all these stories? Whos to say that a shitty story deserves the same reward as someone who actually has the ability to write.

I really believe that there should be no one or two set ways to gain a restring, and shouldnt be too common. Story competitions, the char desc competition could make a comeback, quests, or killing verarb and looting his corpse. There are tons of ways that the Gods could do this and I'm sure they've already thought of all of these ideas. As it stands though... with the quest sphere being so tied down, I don't think its the appropriate time to be debating this.

My badge idea had nothing to do with restrings. I was just peeved that all these people were wearing badges that had absolutly nothing to do with a guild or their character. Kind of cheapened the whole point of removing them from the game. The fight club badges look pretty gimpy too... they don't conform to a good RP place at all.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:45 pm

I think that those of you who believe that restrings should only be on a few people are wrong. My idea would give everybody willing to put forth effort a chance at a restring...i am not asking for there to be more than one restring per chr (even though this is already how it is which makes a good percentage of the mud angry), i am only asking for the chance to get one. Yeah, i have a chance now, but it is slim to none because of A) quest gods being bogged down and B) It is such a random thing that depends solely on playtime.

My suggestion leaves the option of also getting restrings another way, those could be like the one you were very luckily able to get that not one other person on the mud has even been given the chance at getting...a restring with extra stats.

I am asking for something to change the text and ansi...ooo...that will unbalance the game horribly if people look different.

I brought this up because I, as many others will agree, am kinda tired of being left out of things to this degree. It is not like getting a piece of tiagear or even getting handed a surtur for writing a story, it is a change in appearance. I feel that everybody should be given the chance to look at least one piece of gear different from one of the same class. At least if that person is willing to put forth the effort to do so. For you, getting 50k is easy, for me it is doable, for somebody who has just started playing the game recently it is near impossible. I, along with some others, have no real desire to reach 50th lvl. This would be a great incentive.

The way things are atm, you have the chance yeah, but you could also play this game for 5 years and never have a restring because of your ptime or other obsticals, not because you wont put forth the effort to attain one just as much as somebody that has one. If everybody does really have the chance, it shouldnt be based on a horrible percentage based off of a lifestyle and some god closing his/her eyes and throwing a dartboard at a collection of players names with RP togged.

Yeah, i am a bit ticked because of the "i have one so they should remain rare" philosophy. Yeah, i am a bit jaded because I was picked because of my RP skill to be in the last campaign which ended and i haven't once been quested since or before...even though i keep RP togged at all times and up untill last week usually put in up to 5-8 hrs a day on the mud.

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>Okay, lets look at this from a slightly different perspective. Lets say that we make RP stories and 50k plat the requirements for a restring. Thats not hard at all (no i dont care what you think.) In no time everyone and their dog will have a personal restring.

Who is going to moderate all these stories? Whos to say that a shitty story deserves the same reward as someone who actually has the ability to write.

I doubt even if they open up the opportunity to write an RP story to get a restring that 'everyone will have one'. As for who is to read the stories for the restrings- the same folks who read and judge the stories for level 50 titles. Frankly, I don't see what's wrong with people who put in a bit of effort to write a decent RP story having a personal restrung item. I have one of the unique items in the game, so my stance isn't based on not having a unique item. Walking around and seeing every person of x class looking like a clone of each other accents this want for some restrung variety. This way, each player will have a chance to leave his or her mark on Sojourn3 in the form of an item.

------------------
-Yayaril
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:29 am

Ack, kifle you should not have sold mah all the spice before reading this post, got it all messed up sorry. Kinda overlooked the bit about only 1 restring per person doing it this way, my bad. Only thing that could come as a problem would be that the gods would have to run a quest for every lvl 50 on the game, sonmething that miax said he aspired to do anyhow, but that is a huge amount of godtime. Possibly do it in groups? Or even more so, why does a restring have to come from a godrun quest? So long as it fits into character, actually doing a godrun quest doesn't really make the item any more valid, if the idea is to distrubute the items more fairly and evenly? Would not the player who has 10K prestige from smiting dragons so often have just as much use for a restring as the questor? Wanting to make your character have individual style, certainly does not entail RP questing alone, most of the rare/unreproducable in game items have certainly not come through RP.
Anyhow, these ideas in short are what lead me to thinking prestige would be a better way of getting restrings out, less godtime needed, more playertime needed, hardcoded, seems a fair way to do it...
SO.... i bid, lvl 50,+ 100Kplat,+ 6000prestige, + a story! for a restring. For a second restring, thi again, would be FAR harder to get the prestige the second time. BTW, gods handing out restrings for quests is fine by me, and would be even less contentious with a system like this so that everyone does have a definate chance of getting something?

------------------
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:32 pm

I have been here for 5+ years. If you added up all the plat I've ever had you still wouldn't get 50k. Then again I've never been one to farm eq for sale either. I don't remember selling any eq since I came to the dark side many moons ago.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:31 pm

nod sarell, prestige would also be a good idea since, as of now, isnt implimented for anything. Even though there are ideas for it by the gods i am sure, doesnt mean that this couldn't also be a good use of it.

Raursh:

50k isnt really that hard to get...if you lead a zone, you get a k or so plat from mobs cash and eq you can sell at stores. If you lead 50 zones...bam there is your plat.

There are also places where you can kill the fairly easy mobs and sell their gear for good amounts of plats also...just go out there and look for them...I have made 3k in one hour from doing this. The most i have had at one time is around 20k. But then again i have also bought 2 tinker bags, so its not impossible.

------------------
gogk
Sojourner

Postby gogk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:41 pm

my idea on restrings.....Kern type quest it.
but dont deal with actualy quest items used in other quest load rares. let the quest gods. oversee it and let it go on for months like the kern quest. earn the restring dont trade anything worth anything for a different description/color whatever. just put time into it. i been here almost....god goin on 7+ years. and i have never seen so much i want it and i want it NOW DADDY veiws as i have seen this wipe. i mean getting eq and things is what this game is about. but its also about playing/fun/meeting people/making friends/sometimes enemies/or hanging out with friends.

thats just my opinion.

------------------
Gogk, Everyone Picks On The Fat Kid

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”