i had an idea to add to zoning fun/challenge/even maybe rp.

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
gogk
Sojourner

i had an idea to add to zoning fun/challenge/even maybe rp.

Postby gogk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:39 pm

I'm going to use JOT as an example.
We have all done Jot countless times, to the point that it even seems mind numbing. Walk the grid, search for rares. Nothing there go to the palace kill loki kill thrym kill some more. go home split eq that i personally have seen go undealt cause we all have it.

Now we all know about invasion. every so often it loads people race to it. get there. do it. then go home while the second group who came late does regular jot. again.

Jot gets invaded by gammad and his army. well i figure it this way. a group of pc attacking the palace after the grid is a small army of elite troops sent to lay siege to the palace. what if we were treated like invaders in a fashion more like that of a palace defending the palace against would be attackers. small war parties, small yet decently buff war parties roam the grid, respectively. and to put more usage into missile shield. have random boulders or even flaming pots of oil flie into the room from time to time. using more globes and missile shields. do this using the arrow code i would assume.

Like in scorps just toned down alittle. less frequent i mean. so as to give time if quick mems need be. or even to role play more if a group finds it is being overwhelmed it can retreat to a safer are to recoup and then storm the palace once again.

The EQ stays the same. the zone takes more than 1 hour. you can add a countless number of quests to that senario. and battle enchanters and bards can have a tale to tell.

Maybe if you have a quest to add onto it. you can have certain players who do well or perform a certain task a small but albeit specific title. or you dont even need that. just knowing that the NEW way to do is a zone is to be treated as the invader and not so easily walk right up to the gates of the would be prey and and just oh this way to the kings room lets just kill him and get out.

there is more i have ideas for even more on this subject alone. but, i dont wanna get it all down here. ill space it out abit.

let me know everyone what you think.

------------------
Gogk, Everyone Picks On The Fat Kid

[This message has been edited by gogk (edited 08-01-2002).]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:11 pm

This would be fine if it were originaly done, but i think if you made the time of doing jot longer, for the rewards you get, would kinda be a waste of time and not many people would go there.

Maybe you should write a zone with this in there...now that would be fun!

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic
gogk
Sojourner

Postby gogk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:29 pm

i agree that making abit longer would stop people from doing it every time we crash or reboot. within the first 10 minutes. but in all reality for example i was in a 20 minute brass group. yea. we get the eq. add another amethyst ring into cirulation. for 20 minutes of my time. but by making it more challenging it would mean more groups, more skill usage at the keys. and so what if it isnt done till there is a big enough group on. i believe cutting down on the eq circulation as saturated as it is now would make it more fun.

also. i personally believe that if you think jot is fine the way it is and welcome the idea of breezing through a zone and not having a challenge, then whats the point?

thats just my opion tho.

------------------
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:55 pm

There are two types of zones I've found.
* The epic ones like scorps, clouds, muspel etc that you expect will take you 3hours minimum and don't do unless everyone has the time, and..
* The easy ones that you take a couple friends with, don't want a big challenge and only have 60-90mins anyways.

When you form the group you see what its capable of / wants to do, and do that. We tryed changing Jot, got yelled at muchly, toned it back a whole lot, got yelled at less, ate popcorn and left it.

This atleast is what I've found as a zone leader and areas creator. As such changing old zones I don't think is the answer, but if you enjoy doing more difficult zones, and don't mind the amazing number of flames from lazy wanks that only care about reward vs. time invested, write some stuff up, find me in game.

DiggityDug
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:00 pm

Gogk, I actually love the idea, and I've seen it elsewhere before. The gates to a city on another mud were actually "guarded" by the mobs on the walls. If you walked within 2-3 rooms of the city gates, boulders, hot oil, arrows, etc. rained down on you from above. They did damage from little scratches to death (very low percent chance of boulder fallin on yer head, but still a chance). While getting rained on from above, you had to kill off the guards, find the key, and unlock and invade the city. It was freakin awesome. Talk about tense!

I mean hell, what ever happened to doing something just to see if you could do it, and not just because "the rewards suck".
------------------

[This message has been edited by Galkar (edited 08-01-2002).]
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:01 pm

grunt, im not sure whut i think of that, sounds good tho
zusuk
Sojourner

Postby zusuk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dugmaren:
<B>There are two types of zones I've found.
* The epic ones like scorps, clouds, muspel etc that you expect will take you 3hours minimum and don't do unless everyone has the time, and..
* The easy ones that you take a couple friends with, don't want a big challenge and only have 60-90mins anyways.

How about whole zones for newbies like me to zone stuff without killing. So i can get some free bless potions and troll-able cure light wands
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
-Zusuk
gogk
Sojourner

Postby gogk » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:10 pm

i agree there are a tone of zones in this game that fit each occasion. 7 man groups 15 2 15 man groups....wbat im mentioning here isnt a permenant change to jot. im using jot as an example as stated in my first sentence. but i do agree dug too many zones now are done just for rewards and if no rewards comes the complaining and what not. i believe there is more fun to be had just doing something to do it. specially when there is nothing left to do.

and anyone who says they still have fun doing the same old zones with their character cause its still fun and eq to be had that they can use in my opinion isnt being completely honest. cause in all honesty there are so many players who hit a point in eq and levels that they change to another class. another race another alingment even. im just saying keep it real.

i also believe that if players are shown by group leaders that their skills are needed cayse a zone has gotten harder. not so much as add more mr to a mob or more dragons to a zone but to just change the outcome of certain things. such as maybe during invasion or just after it if one where to do jot there would be less mobs cause of the invasion thus changing it up alittle. or at one point having more. so when you walk into a jot type zone you know that you expect resistance just not know exactly where that resistance is gonna be. ok spell up cause we are gonna speed walk u e e e e e s s s s e e e u s s s s w w w w s s s s d e e e e and then we are gonna hit 2 mobs then 2 rooms n is another. and a wandering mob after that. it seems to me like going to work at INITECH every like in office space.

again this is just my opinion

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”