Give da Ogre some luvin

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Rivi
Sojourner

Give da Ogre some luvin

Postby Rivi » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:29 pm

I know they're dumb, they're ugly but how about some class luvin for these folks. Only two choices for playing these guys and they're both no longer good either.

Ogre shamans are really dumb making mem time horrendous. Most ogres don't cast while zoning ( poke ambar, bwahaha :P ) They are larger than most targets so become switched to often.

Ogre warriors used to be useful because they could bash larger mobs, however there are spells that cover this range (?) and at the least the mobs can be stunned which relatively solves the problem.

Their few starting advantages have since disappeared.
- Simplest evil starting hometown. ( um... take a look at DK ) goats used to be fun to kill but now they just kick ass compared to the stuff elsewhere.
- Highest HP race (no longer useful since they are horrendous at tanking)
- Can bash giant sized mobs (can now stun/blind giant sized mobs so doesn't matter)
- Doorbash was... um a novelty, when was the last time you found a door that you couldn't just open directly? Oh hey! it's a farm house, lets just open the door and stroll in.

I'm not too sure how best to fix a race like this. Even orcs have quite a few advantages over ogres, Trolls have the fast regen and 2nd highest race hp. They both have two classes, but in the case of a troll, regenerating fast is an advantage for 90% of their lifetime. 5% being when they're sitting around doing nothing, 5% being when they're being hit by fire based spells. As an ogre there are just no benefits to playing this race anymore. Yeah you can make an ogre that does a lot of damage, even comparable to a rogue. However you don't get any of the useful rogue skills, instead you get tank skills but as an ogre you can't really tank either.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:08 pm

Why can't ogres tank?

------------------
-Yayaril
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:19 pm

cry me a river. barbarians only have 2 classes to choose - and they suck more than ogres. from everything i saw as a good warrior - a dwarf warrior is better than a barb

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:44 pm

Ogres don't tank well because their agility is really low. Thus they get hit very easily regardless of their AC.

As for barbarians only having two classes, well there is only one shaman choice for a good race and that is the barbarian so they're not that neglected. Also they make a fair shaman since their spells can be regained at a decent rate as compared to an ogre, would easily could double what a barbarian would have.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:25 am

Dwarves can't use that super spanky icy dagger of sauruk whatever can they?

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:56 am

its not that super spanky

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:11 am

Dwarves have plenty of toys, they don't need icy dagger.

Twyl

------------------
I am jack's complete lack of effort.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>its not that super spanky

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL. Sure it isn't.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:29 pm

Excuse me .. I cast a LOT in zones .... I do area damage(typically 6 area spells), silences, hexes, stuns, gheals (5)... armor, vit, stone ... and whatever else i can do during the fight ....

Ogre Shaman have so many advantages lower mem times arent even an issue .. I chose Ogre .. I deal with the mem times ... what other shaman can doorbash or bodyslam??

i LOVE my shaman and jokingly bitch about the mem times (only because people really dont know how long the mems are and sometimes i cant get my whole mem done..)

I think I hold my own with trolls and orcs .. and only lose out in the mems by maybe 15 sec per mem ... In fact if i didnt.. i'd probably be replaced in groups

-go go gadget OGRE!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:21 pm

ogres r fine, i gone one, i solo it, grouped it some, its fine

doorbash is used
ogre tanks are used
ogre bash is used
highest hp is needed for when they do tank, like you said they do get hit more, more hp evens this out.
and hometown, it has by far more nastys than dk does (if you wander around *wink*), and is by far more anoying to learn

it cant be that bad.. more people are rolling ogres now than they did before....as alts and otherwise
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:46 am

i think orcs make better shaman for the simple fact that they get bashed less often by quakes and tailsweep.

however, ogres have definite pluses the most important of which are !bash to most mobs and bodyslam.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:11 am

I only get bashed in quake cause i have shit for agi Image

by the way:

Haknay group-says 'Ambar doorbash e please'
doorbash e
SPLAT!!

no luv for de Ogre Image

------------------
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>Haknay group-says 'Ambar doorbash e please'
doorbash e
SPLAT!!

no luv for de Ogre Image

MUAHAHAHA!

You group-say, "oops sorry jen, forgot there was 10 mobs behind that door."

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:17 pm

but ogre agility at 100 is what 30 for human?

------------------
------
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>Excuse me .. I cast a LOT in zones .... I do area damage(typically 6 area spells), silences, hexes, stuns, gheals (5)... armor, vit, stone ... and whatever else i can do during the fight ....

Ogre Shaman have so many advantages lower mem times arent even an issue .. I chose Ogre .. I deal with the mem times ... what other shaman can doorbash or bodyslam??

i LOVE my shaman and jokingly bitch about the mem times (only because people really dont know how long the mems are and sometimes i cant get my whole mem done..)

I think I hold my own with trolls and orcs .. and only lose out in the mems by maybe 15 sec per mem ... In fact if i didnt.. i'd probably be replaced in groups

-go go gadget OGRE!!!!

Barbarians can bodyslam.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:01 pm

um, kool Image ... i'd actually like to get another shaman in the arena with me and see what happens (yeah a barb!)

------------------
gogk
Sojourner

Postby gogk » Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:39 pm

Ummmm no ogre tanks are not used. not at all unless they are switched to. and even then most trolls have ogres on a rescue list.

all bad statements. only every once in a while you find a door that needs bashing and even then an ogre is called in from just sitting at the dk fountain not doing anything himself cause an ogre cant even walk through a mid level exp zone 15 levels lower than he is without some sort of healer.

some ogres cant even tank the leaders in dk with a certain ammount of easy not the way a troll or duergar can. the ammount of damage taken by an ogre is pretty embarrassing.

in zone groups all there are is troll tanks.
and the gromikazer tank.

no ogre tanks.

i agree ogre warriors need some in the area of tanking ability. make some use out of them. cause if you need a hitter get a rogue. if you need a mob stunned get a elementalist/illus/shaman.

as for ogre shamans they rock. !bash by the majority of mobs in the game. shit load of hps. hit like trucks. i love em. im playing one now. Image

------------------
Gogk, Everyone Picks On The Fat Kid
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:36 pm

Just seems a little strange, but I'd think if I were a human and tanking an ogre that the ogre would half knock the PISS outta my senses when getting hit! If they could possibly ?? make it where a mob is stunned or where the ogre would parry/whatever since it's str based anyway, you'd think ogres would rule. They simply don't. Anyway to finish the point, how bout if an ogre's tanking, unless a smaller mob is a freak of nature, he/she stun or reduce the mob's ability to hit effectivly due to intimidation maybe? Hard to say, but even in Shrek *laugh* you can visually see how mobs had hard time getting near him in the fight scene where he took on those knights cuz of his size; he simply kept them at bay, unless they were wielding spears or whatever. The piledriver scene was funny too! Give that to them *rofl*

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:09 am

That may work on peon soldiers, Drache, but against any adventurer worth their salt or monster with razor sharp teeth and claws, they're not going to be that intimidated.

------------------
-Yayaril
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:09 am

pre dire raiders, ogres had a useful clearly defined existence. damage + bash big things and last ditch tank ability. Ogres hit damn hard. Crit based weapons are insane in their hands.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully not like the paladin/anti/ranger/rogue/warrior mess with endless pleas for balance and upgrades.

------------------
------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:20 am

Even if they got rid of all the classes sans one, there'd be still such pleas.

------------------
-Yayaril
Rivi
Sojourner

Postby Rivi » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:12 pm

Yayaril my plea is that the ogres should have one distinct advantage in some kind of race/class combination that makes them more desirable than any other.

Also if you're going to post with that kind of attitude please don't. At least look at the arguments presented and comment about those. You act like you know it all but then you end up just ignoring the issues and basically saying that the original poster just likes to complain about issues that are nonexistent.

As for ogre agility, I think my ogre has 85-95 Agility natural and my naked AC is 98. That should tell you something about their tanking ability. How do barbarians compare to this? And yes everyone can reach -100AC but this isn't the really the same number as there appears to be a different limit or some kind of bonus check that factors in agility.

Ogres being !bash, from my past experience that's both a good and bad thing. If you're !bash the mob will switch to you instead of trying to bash you. The mobs are always skilled enough that switching to you doesn't have any possible detriments, they can't fail in switching so they don't lose a round of combat. The good part about that is that WHEN the mob switches to you, you still have the option to flee.

[This message has been edited by Rivi (edited 08-09-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:53 am

haven't seen all that many switches to ogre warriors... could it just be that they are priest class and happen to usually have more hps than the other priests...

------------------
------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”