bug in level restricted zones

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Dirjornso
Sojourner

bug in level restricted zones

Postby Dirjornso » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:31 am

I think I have found a bug in certain zones that restrict level particually in the ones limiting high level players in them. They can just be summoned in. Is this a bug or just ment to be a way around it?
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:59 am

If it is a bug, then the whole zone it bugged, because everything worth doing is shielded.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Dirjornso
Sojourner

Postby Dirjornso » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:11 am

actually no not everything.. what disturbs me is that anyone higher then 35 would want what is in the zone

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:05 pm

I had left it summonable for emergencies. E.g. someone gets 36th level there, then dies without loosing level, now they can't get back in. Apparently people need to abuse every availble avenue, so it will be fixed very soon.

Thanks for destroying my trust. Image

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:43 pm

eeeek! level-restricted zones?

Sojourn may be going down a dangerous path here. Is level-restricted eq next? Am I over-reacting or should we start to get worried?

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:24 pm

Agree Nokie. I'm level 35, was in there dinking around, and lo-and behold, a necro mob casts beldyn horrid wilting or something (at work, so can't check but I know it was an 8th circle necro spell) and bam, I died quicker than shit through a goose. Died again trying to CR. Now, I eventually did it, but I was limited in who I could ask for help, and since all those mobs were aggro, sucked for me.

I say don't make in impossible for high levels to get in there. Someone might need the help one day. The deterant is good, leave it as is.

If you change it, might as well change SS to.

------------------
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:44 pm

While I agree that the ability to summon a higher level person in is a bit twinky, I have to say that the mobs having fire and cold shields is a bit of a pain in the ass when you can't have someone globe you.

It feels a bit twinky to only have rangers and nukers do all the damage cause the hitters are dieing on the shields. Also is a bit rediculous to have the tank taking off his hit gear cause he is afraid of dieing on the shield when he is tanking.

If the zone is meant to be a mid level zone don't require a spell that is only available to characters that are above the restriction.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:45 pm

If the mobs are !bash then I can see complaining about the fire/cold shields. If they aren't, then there's no call to be upset about it. Just wait a maximum of 3 minutes, and all will be rosy.

Sylvos
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:48 pm

I dunno, I think forcing people to wait 3 minutes between mobs because globers aren't allowed in the zone is a good way for the zone to empty out real fast in favor of something else.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:51 pm

I'm with Nokie.

Level restrictions are not a good idea, imo.

I vote heartily against going down this path.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:54 pm

Level restricted zones are one of the primary reasons I quit the mud I played before Sojourn reopened. I truly hope this will be a unique effect.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:00 pm

SS is already level restricted. I don't really have an issue with level restricted zones, except that I'd like to be able to explore them.

The only thing that bothers me is that if the equipment is uber enough that high levels would want to go farm it, what's it doing in a low level zone?
Innova
Sojourner

Postby Innova » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:05 pm

SS is not level restricted. That mob is easy for anyone that is above the restricted leve to kill.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
I don't really have an issue with level restricted zones, except that I'd like to be able to explore them.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have a problem with level restricted zones, except that you'd like to get past the restriction? Image

Level restrictions are horrible in so many ways... don't say you wouldn't mind them until you've played a mud that uses them. They can be frustrating beyond belief, not to mention creating staggered levelling.. people would stockpile their exp, making sure not to level past the really good restricted zones until they had milked it for everything they could.

I'm begging all area makers not to even consider a level restriction for their zone.

------------------
Dirjornso
Sojourner

Postby Dirjornso » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:21 pm

This zone I believe was made so midlevel characters could get some good eq for their level with out having to trade with another play for it.Instead I find it getting raped. It is suppose to be difficult considering a procing weapon and a +max wisdom item is in there let us midlevels deal with it Image If we have to bring nukers for 3 mobs we bring nukers.. if we need a ranger's bow we will bring it and if the hitters want to hit bring a cleric. but please stop the twinking
Alomlim
Sojourner

Postby Alomlim » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:14 pm

Just want to chime in some contrary feedback.

I love this place, *especially* the fact that there are some shielded mobs but no globers.

I think the summon trick should be gonged for sure. People are weak... if they can summon their buddy in for globes and areas, they will.

Level restrictions seem to me be a good way to prevent the sort of mass quest farming by high-levels that occurs now, and also, gives the zone-writer an opportunity to create interesting challenges.

------------------
-Alomlim

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:14 pm

Being as I made the zone let me put this all to rest.

The zone was not meant to be solo'd. It was meant to teach mid-level people the value of grouping, and how to work together in zone like situations. The zone should require 3-5 25-35 level players of various classes to complete. Its meant to be fun for MIDLEVELS, so that midlevels have a chance of instresting stuff, to make them interested in the game.

That being said, the summonable par about it will be removed. I despise that people abuse, and are abusing it so much. THe level restriction is there to keep high level players from running over the zone in 2 minutes.

Do me a favor, if your above 35th level stay the hell out, it'll prolly be boring for you, or bring a lower level alt, then it will probably be fun.

Fun for midlevels, not all exp, was the point. *Lowers his head in shame* I am so disappointed.

------------------
Kelemvor - God of the Dead, and Cemeteries
Areas Wank
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:53 pm

Dude, don't be disappointed, it's a great little zone. Me, as a 35 paladin, can't solo half of it due to those blasted shields Image

The group it takes to do it right as I've seen is a tank, nuker of almost any kind, and a healer of some kind. In this particular setup though, they should all be around level 26 or higher.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:02 am

a different approach might've been interesting. Instead of preventing players that are too high from entering, make it painful for these players to be there or do anything.

Give all the mobs or eq mobs procs based on level (only affects 36+ folks). Anything from insane damage, to 10 minute freezes, to exp stealing. perhaps something more plausible like teleporting in "guards" every couple rounds.

the end effect would be that running around soloing all the mobs would be impossible for a level 50 (at least in a short period of time), but if a few 50's wanted to come in, they could do the zone/provide assistance.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:28 am

Don't be so down-trodden, Kelemvor. People will always try to do things in such a way as it is as easy as possible. It's human nature. As for adding in a mid level equipment zone, there will naturally be people who are interested in exploring and finding the items in it, even if it's not in their level range. Why? Because some crazy adle-minded players actually glean pleasure from exploring and finding things out for the first time. Just because the credits say level 25-35 doesn't mean they will leave it alone.

Sometimes adding in a fence doesn't turn people away- sometimes it spurns them on, and looks like a big old challenge. Frankly, I disagree with level limitations on zones. It just seems so artificial for me. I did Tiamat when I was level 46, yet the credits say 'Level 50's only!'. Adding in a level maximum for a zone is like adding in a level minimum for a zone. It's one more step towards forcing players to do a zone in a specific way. I think it should be left up to the player to challenge themselves. If they want to run through Havenport with a group of level 50 characters and utterly smack down everything, that's their decision. If they want to try to do Vault without a tank, that's their decision. Imposing these restrictions just limits the game.

------------------
-Yayaril
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:13 am

This zone is something I, and a lot of others, have been clamoring for for years. A ZONE for midbes. A place you need a balanced group for, with some experience and some equipment, that you can use to practice your grouping skills before it really matters. It's an EXCELLENT idea ruined by profitmongers who would go in with 2 50s and loot the place. So how to keep the 50s out while letting the 35s in? I don't REALLY like the idea of hard coding it, but y'know, I'll be damned if I can come up with a better way to do it right now. Having the level based procs would still allow a 35 warrior to basically solo the zone backed up by the dscaling enchanter sitting a room back.

I don't know. I shudder to think of how many viable zone ideas are completely unusable on sojourn because SOMEONE will just go and twink them. If anyone can actually think of a foolproof way to keep twinks off this zone, share it. Nobody REALLY likes hard coding level limits, but can anyone think of a real solution?

------------------
- Ragorn
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
Nobody REALLY likes hard coding level limits, but can anyone think of a real solution?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't like it at all, but I agree. There's really no way to stop twinks otherwise.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Fripple
Sojourner

Postby Fripple » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:03 pm

Well I went in with a group of midbes because they were getting smashed on the shields (from aggros... no clue if the shields fell or were perm). We did the whole zone, though there was no equipment... why? because it was fun and exciting for them to do.

The money there seems good, I have no idea about the exp, but if you have to put in eq to make it worth doing, it will be twinked. How hard is it to get a char to 25-35? I do it routinely in two (2) days.

I do not agree with level limiting anything. Your zone, your call, though.

------------------
Fripple Kiara - Stone Heart -
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:10 pm

making zones level restricted is just like having a locked door... we have rogues.....

people "twinking" lower lvl zones.. how many lvl 50s etc go to this zone daily? how many just went once or maybe twice just to see what it is, whats in their because they dont want to level up a lvl 25-35 char just to check.....

any lvl restections will be set once people know what that zone is geared for...

ssc, bgr, ss, hp, are all not lvl restricted.. yet are not twinked by 50s.. (the grid hp not the eq)

why? because their is nothing in it for them, who goes there? people of said lvls who need that exp/eq....

the only level restrictions we need here, is time, and time alone,

i also played a lvl based eq/zone mud and hated it
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
You don't have a problem with level restricted zones, except that you'd like to get past the restriction? Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! I want to see the zone, too. I'm curious and exploring is the most fun I have in this game. I have a lot of appreciation for a well-written zone. I'm just attached to this char and don't want to have to pull out an alt to go there. It won't bother me that much to do it, and that's what I'll eventually do, but I'm certainly not in as much of a hurry to go see it since that's what I have to do.

I have no problems with level limited zones in order to keep higher levels from twinking the gear in it. Although if you think about it... shielded mobs are nothing to sneeze about, so twinked out alts are going to be the ones walking all over the zone while low-level mains without the spanky gear are still going to be the ones left in the dust. It really doesn't seem that much different from letting the high levels in.
Dirjornso
Sojourner

Postby Dirjornso » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:58 pm

Update. Just did the zone. all the mobs with a 4 person group level 27 anti a 2 35's and a 30 only death was an invoker who got caught by the vamp's spell other then that it was fun and we made the runs.. it is a perfect zone for midlevels. as for exploring of highlevels if you just exploring do you need to do everthing to check out the zone?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:13 pm

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001797.html

My (long) thoughts on level locks.

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:39 pm

I can tell you that when I did have a high level character, we regularly razed tg/deco/baldur's/tarsellian (easy) equipment to raise cash or trade up for other equipment. Do people still race to tg after boot? Is the lightning circlet in Baldur's Gate ever there 3 hours into a boot? How bout thick chain and the belt from TF, they never used to last past 4 hours Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:42 pm

That's the point of getting high level, though. To expand your options. It's counter-intuitive for you to become this high level character with lots of power at his fingertips, but is then so easily thwarted by portals that don't allow you to enter because you're too strong.

------------------
-Yayaril
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:40 pm

that's funny. they are able to get their bodies through the portal but their head get stuck.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:48 am

Hey there,
I actually don't like the idea of making it impossible for higher level characters entering a zone just because they are above a certain level.
I know of multiple ways to make it unprofitable for high level characters characters to enter an area.
One example would be a large group of high level mobs that only "rob" characters above a certain level.
Another example would be a shopkeeper mob that only sells the entrance to a character below a certain level. Talk to the mob, and as soon as you pay the price you enter the area.
A third option would be a mob that demands money to get into a zone if you are above a certain level, kind of like the blackstone knight, but make it so that it has a shopkeeper flag. Then don't stop characters below 36, charge 100 platinum to a character at 36, 1000 platinum for entry for a 37th level characters, and 10000 platinum for anyone above that level.
These are just a few ways to discourage people above a certain level from entering a zone. Some will allow a character in if they really need to get into the zone, say if a quest mob they need is in the zone. Just some thoughts.
Thanks,
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:34 pm

The zone isn't fun when you group can't do a CR and your group included all the decent midlevels on the mud at the time. RETHINK. REDO. REEVERYTHING.

------------------
David
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Aug 10, 2002 9:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by teflor the ranger:
<B>The zone isn't fun when you group can't do a CR and your group included all the decent midlevels on the mud at the time. RETHINK. REDO. REEVERYTHING.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

can't CR or can't figure HOW to CR ??? (no offense intended but have you zoned yet and seen almost impossible GROUP CR's??) mmmmmmm 15 lvl 47-50's runnin Avernus naked .. yum

Edit: a BIG hi5 to the zonies for trying to make it more fun to xp/learn for the midbies

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition

[This message has been edited by Ambar (edited 08-10-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:08 pm

ambar, you didn't read his post. when you do a cr with high levels, there are other high levels who can help. if all the mid level players are in the group, and they die - who comes to their rescue?

lets not forget that they are LEARNING how to zone here, not CRing avernus, which really has NOTHING to do with their problem. their problem is that the majority of players are unable to help those who died and may lose everything they have acquired. Just how much do any of us enjoy losing everything we have acquired? The fact that the wealthy of the mud will re-equip the poor middie has nothing to do with it, he has lost all of HIS work, and now must restort to charity to recompensate.

Not fun.

If you are going to prevent high levels from circumventing the newbie zone, how about you prevent high level non-elfs from welling on to the elf islands.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:39 am

Minus making EM !well, Daz stated that perfectly. Dude.....I'm impressed. Image
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:46 am

sorry, i'll drink more next time

------------------
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:17 am

Ok, I have rethought this. Leave the zone as it is. It is a good challenge and forces people to think through it. Good way to get some mid level peeps some exp in zoning situations.

I did the zone again last night with my bard level 22, a decked level 26 anti pali, a decked level 26 ranger and a level 26+ ill.

We did get a globe for the final fight (we did not summon anyone in fyi) but we could have done it straight up with a cleric added to the group.

Mid level alts (me included) have gotten to the point where we feel like we should be able to walk over anything that is designed for our level and not have to worry about it. This is a very well thought out zone for what it is trying to do and the issue is not with the shields but group makeup and strategy.

Add some more of these please :>)

Depok
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:33 am

I don't like em hard coded so can't go in. I made a proc that checks the level of combatants and calls for help that kinda stuff I like. If big people are going into the zone, perhaps the gear in there is too good for midlevel zone? Or perhaps folks who only have one high level char and dont want to make another and get to midlevel just want to see the fine zone, and it will die down in a month or so?

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>ambar, you didn't read his post. when you do a cr with high levels, there are other high levels who can help. if all the mid level players are in the group, and they die - who comes to their rescue?

lets not forget that they are LEARNING how to zone here, not CRing avernus, which really has NOTHING to do with their problem. their problem is that the majority of players are unable to help those who died and may lose everything they have acquired. Just how much do any of us enjoy losing everything we have acquired? The fact that the wealthy of the mud will re-equip the poor middie has nothing to do with it, he has lost all of HIS work, and now must restort to charity to recompensate.

Not fun.

If you are going to prevent high levels from circumventing the newbie zone, how about you prevent high level non-elfs from welling on to the elf islands.

Daz apparently you didnt think about what i said (and since you don't play we will assume you have no idea of the new zones that have been put in) i offered NO criticism at all but only advice ...

zoning is a learning process ... CR'ing is too (ooooooooo Hulburg)

my point is this .. sometimes you have to think hard of ways to CR ... whether it be talking to other players or rethinking your whole situation ... trying new things ... it's part of the learning process

I personally LOVE the idea of midbie zones where newer players can LEARN to zone Image

as far as Evermeet .. it's not the island thats race restrictive .. it's the CITY of Leuthilspar ... maybe you have never been an elf and don't know this?

Once again try to refrain from posting on gameplay matters if you don't play ... sure post on the general threads .. but you say over and over you don't play .. welll stop caring!! *smile*

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:56 am

i never said you did criticize him, what i was getting at is that you sidestepped the issue and offered advice on a point that wasn't what i thought the poster was trying to get across.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>i never said you did criticize him, what i was getting at is that you sidestepped the issue and offered advice on a point that wasn't what i thought the poster was trying to get across.

hehe whatever ....

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:13 pm

Hey! I like getting a well over to elf island to help out the little guys with pointy ears. All the little elves are so cute! I just wanna pinch their rosy cheeks!

Don't take my fun away!

------------------
Dirjornso
Sojourner

Postby Dirjornso » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:25 pm

as For cring there are a few tricks to getting your corpse from the mentioned zoned.. one is be invised and hope you didn't die west and spam drag Image also helps if you bring a midlevel with eq :P

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”