Qualifiers

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
gnerble
Sojourner

Qualifiers

Postby gnerble » Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:12 am

Just working on some database software the other day and was thinking about they way we use 1. and 2. syntax...

Was wondering how hard it would be to add the keyword 'my' to the equation. I have seen a lot of comments lately on how the MUD handles bags on the ground, cursing eq in your inventory with the same keyword as a mob..

Would be kind of nice to say 'look my.dagger' to see your dagger, etc. Or 'put all my.bag' to make sure that items don't get placed in a bag on the ground. I'm sure the problem is more complex then that, because then multiple items would have to be like 'put all my.2.bag' And all users would have to start using it for everything.. (ie a big change in how things work, which usually means nightmares for support etc..)

Just an idea.

Oh and to add a little thing that would be cool, I would like to be able to 'rem 2.dagger' ie, remove the second dagger I'm wielding. It seems that the 1. 2. syntax does not work with worn eq.

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:04 am

We could go a long ways just by standardizing the way targetting works. IE always looks at your person first, or always looks in the room first. The primary cause of these fuckups, besides the players carelessness, is look and put and get work don't target the same objects depending on the presence of worn or ground or inventory items.

The curse thing I think is a bigger problem and perhaps needs the "qualifier" you suggest or at least a second argument. For example ca 'curse' %1 will never curse anything in your inventory (or being worn). ca 'curse' %1 me will curse an item in your inventory.

here is an example of why this is needed.

ca 'curse' mobname
mobname is dead R.I.P.
Your item with the same keyword as mobname glows red.

I see this a lot which is along the same lines.

A wraith flies in from the south.
ca 'hex' wraith or ca 'silence' wraith or ....
wraith dies RIP
Your spell glances off the wraith of a sleeping guard (lich pet was 2.wraith before 1.wraith died).

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:18 pm

you would have cursed that item if the mob had died regardless. Enjoy gay curse code. cast 'curse' dragon Your bag of swen dragon-gut glows red briefly. You group-say 'god damnit piece of shit!'

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:03 am

I love you Gormal you are funny. Image

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”