Thoughts on Improving Melee Usefulness

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Thoughts on Improving Melee Usefulness

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:15 pm

It seems like invokers should be the only ones dishing out massive damage spells, while enchanters concentrate soley on buffing. All the other mage classes should be on a scale in between the two. Right now, however, it seems like druids and shamans also both have massive dammage capabilities.

How about making it so that druid and shaman spells do smaller amounts of damage, but have more side effects that can help out melee classes?

For instance, Ancestral Fury calls up a bunch of spirits who cause massive damage. It might be better if they cased only moderate damage, but the spirits would stick around and interfere with the monsters movements... making them easier to hit with weapons.

Hex could reduce their "luck" such that any defensive (or offensive) skill roll they made got a small negative modifier, making that mob less effective in combat.

With druids, creeping doom and insect plague could have a chance to distract opponents so they aren't paying attention to all the players. (It'd be a little hard to see with a spider walking across your eyeball afterall... hehe.)

Suffocate should make them slower moving, giving penalties to all melee skills... Entangle should prevent them from dodging almost completely.

Anyways... just some thoughts on how casters could maybe be modified so that hitters have more of a place in groups. Especially since no one like the increased mem times idea... hehe.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:52 pm

*nudge*

FIX DOPPLES!

Seriously tho, I think that'll actually help the cause of hitters in the long run. With fixed dopples, that'd mean that each hitter you bring in the group = 2 hitters pre-dopple.

Even if dopples weren't fixed, pls consider the idea of higher level dopples for 10th circle (see other post under 'massmorph') to help hitters in the high end game.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:55 pm

Hmm... Group Doppleganger? Limited duration spell, makes dopps of the group in the room including active spells? So cast right after a spellup and move in. Any hitters that are globed will have their dopps last until an area or riposte goes.

Call it Phantasmal Army or something?

Sylvos
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:57 pm

No no no. Dont turn my class into an enchanter. I have one, sometimes two spells to use on spellups and I don't need anymore maintenance spells.

only way to do this right is lower spell damage and up melee damage.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 10-02-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:34 pm

I applaud this post.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:35 pm

I applaud this post.

Edit: Guess I really, really did want to applaud this post.

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 10-02-2002).]
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>No no no. Dont turn my class into an enchanter. I have one, sometimes two spells to use on spellups and I don't need anymore maintenance spells.

only way to do this right is lower spell damage and up melee damage.

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thought on the spell Corth, would be one cast duplicates the entire group. Not one per person as the current Doppleganger spell works. Sort of like Ancestral Shield works right now.

Sylvos Winteraven
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:56 pm

I think we should get rid of most of the illusionist nukes and add in more spells that the illusionist can cast on group members to make them more effective, mostly during spell ups.

------------------
-Yayaril
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:22 pm

*slap yayaril* hell no!

And well Corth... you gotta remember dopples last for like 20 mins... so its not exactly an every-combat spellup kinda thing Image so we're still ahead of the ench's.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:24 pm

*grin Yayaril*

Err... actually I'm against that idea. I'm not a huge fan of waiting for spellups. Battle spells with side effects is the way to go. *nod me*

Any Forger input?

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:04 pm

Following Yayaril's line of reasoning(or the lack there of for that matter) in this thread I'd like to request that Paladins and Anti-paladins, along with rangers loose all of their melee skills, and instead be givin buffing spells that help others tank better and hit harder. This would definately help the melee classes. Oh! Also give warriors spells that they must cast on themselves before fights too in order to survive tanking, and make rogues have to get spells cast on them in order to be able to use any of their skills. Rogues should need a combonation of dragonscale, ancestral shield, bless, and barkskin in order to use their pick lock skill. In order to use their hide skill they should need to get a mindblank, time stop(change this from self only in order to make this feasable), nature's blessing, and ventriloquate(this would need to come from two different players of opposing allignments). Also casters should have to have spells cast on them in order to be able to cast spells on others. This will surely make the mud more enjoyable, and make melee skills more usefull or something.

</sarcasm>

------------------
Ruld Ragingbear
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:28 pm

Sylvos:

Yeah, I have no problem with one spell that would effect all the hitters. But I think i agree with Ruld that its about time melee skills are increased on their own merit instead of through buffs cast upon the hitter.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:02 pm

yeah, i agree w/corth on this. It is nice to have something up melee, but having it dependant on another class is a backwards fix. We already need haste to be semi useful as hitters, making it to where we would need another spell instead of just uping our damage would just make the mud more caster depentant than it already is.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:10 pm

I have an idea that will probably make the coders shake their heads and kill me repeatedly.

Why not implement some sort of(semi-visible) damage mods to the different races in the game. We already have half-strength or so against wraithforms(and require magical weapons), why not extend this to other races. I.E. slimes should be really resistant to damage from weapons.

I realize that this would be a lot of work, and possibly impossible to balance against the effects of magic upon each race, but it would probably help melee get a boost, and act as a sort of MR(negative?) for melee.

Thoughts?

Twinshadow

------------------
Tanji group-says 'Twyl keeps thinkin he rolled a rogue'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>yeah, i agree w/corth on this. It is nice to have something up melee, but having it dependant on another class is a backwards fix. We already need haste to be semi useful as hitters, making it to where we would need another spell instead of just uping our damage would just make the mud more caster depentant than it already is.

ya who needs another spell, you got bards.. if you use them Image

------------------
MoM-D
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B>I have an idea that will probably make the coders shake their heads and kill me repeatedly.

Why not implement some sort of(semi-visible) damage mods to the different races in the game. We already have half-strength or so against wraithforms(and require magical weapons), why not extend this to other races. I.E. slimes should be really resistant to damage from weapons.

I realize that this would be a lot of work, and possibly impossible to balance against the effects of magic upon each race, but it would probably help melee get a boost, and act as a sort of MR(negative?) for melee.

Thoughts?

Twinshadow

they wont wanna kill you, takes a coder 2 giggles to look at the subject, laugh at melee, and move on. no sense spending another giggle killing someone.

------------------
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Levvirrnaxxum OOC: 'i like backdoor lovin too!'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:33 pm

It's kind of already been said, but I think that trying to upgrade melee by making an Illusionist spell better is sending the wolves to guard the sheep. Melee needs an upgrade, not a caster spell that emulates melee.

No real point in launching this into a suggestions post, that's been done before. Guess I'll leave it as a "I disagree with this idea" post Image

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”