Class changes...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Maedor
Sojourner

Class changes...

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:11 am

Since people are '100% against every suggestion', and 'totally against them,' I figured I'd save everyone else from my thoughts. I'll refrain from posting 'this kinda crap' in the future, and accept the fact that my time 'would have been better spent with the physics.'

Note to self-Unless your ideas are considered 'right', don't bother posting them.

[This message has been edited by Maedor (edited 10-14-2002).]

Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:17 am

I'm 100% against every suggestion listed under Clerics, leave our class alone please.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:18 am

I want whatever crack you're smoking.

To clarify:

1) Yes dragonscales needs downing.
2) Blur needs downing maybe, not convinced on this.
3) Durations need increased.
4) Constrict to 10th would make it utterly useless.
5) Constrict doesnt stun.
6) Pris is already 7th.

I think you need to play all the said classes before you post ideas on them. Some changes are a given (melee needing upgrade, defensive spells toned down a bit) but other ones cannot be reliably commented on except through experience.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 10-13-2002).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maedor:
<B>Necros-
-Death pact to 10th circle.
-Banshee wail gone.
-10th circle beltyns type spell that hurts wraith/undeads with blind/para style effects.
-Lower hp to enc/inv levels.
-Blind/para effect on beltyns.
-50-75% as often as slow/para on fell frost.

*snip*

Lich-
-MR for PCs.
-Add room preserve.
-They would not receieve 10th circ necro dmg spell.
-Todd can add more I'm sure.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't say anything here except that I disagree with all of these changes, and don't feel like going into the details.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:25 am

I think I'll join the others and respond with a 'I'm totally against them.'

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:25 am

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:27 am

Greg,

_I'm_ getting flamed for this thread. Hate by association. Please don't post this kinda crap dork! I wont even point out things in here that are mind bogglingly wrong.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maedor:
<B>Here are some thoughts I've gathered for evening things out a bit..as I see it..
Warriors-
-Improve defensive skills significantly
-Improve dual wield
-Lower bash success rate
-Lower lag on hitall
-make it 2x/day or something.
-make all skills go to 0 for 5-10rounds or whatever after they use this skill.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These changes would significantly downgrade warriors, a class that needs upgrading, not silly useless skills to play with. Im gonna have to use my veto power here.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:31 am

Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:33 am

Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:35 am

I fail to see why someone who quit and deleted his chars is devoting so much time to class changes. I think your time would have been better spent with the physics.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:45 am

Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:51 am

Anyone who posts stuff this widespread deserve to be smacked on the BBS.

Stop riding the 'this is because it's me isn't it!' horse. It's dead and buried.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:55 am

thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:04 am

<B> I think the only downgrade in there is bash...eating more areas would liven things up some Image

Also, i didn't mean for these all to be considered together persay. i was just trying to create a use for rangers/pals/antis, and lower the retard spellups with spells like group stone/longer hastes blah blah.

After all, don't people want less downtime?

There has to be something in here that someone likes..geez.. Image

Greg

[This message has been edited by Maedor (edited 10-13-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Limiting hitall use is a downgrade, a severe downgrade. Also anything that would bring my skills to 0 for 5-10 rounds instantly makes it useless. think UPGRADE not downgrade

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:11 am

Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:12 am

oops

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:34 am

my biggest problem with your proposed changes is that i can discern no theme. you toss out ideas which in themselves are neither good nor bad, but taken in whole would create a drastically different game and in many cases seemingly exchange roles between classes or create classes that are far superior to other classes...

Rangers-
-Let them choose a new class
let them roll a new char and level it.
-If that won't fly, then increase bow damage significantly.
bow damage already insane
-Make windsong worth questing. That bad boy used to be the shit of all shit.
still is a damn nice weapon. skullsmasher was the shit when it bashed wraiths
-Make an all new ranger weapon with a hard quest that is offhandable perhaps.
oakvale
-Do they have some form of evasion?
-If yes, let ti evade dragon breath also
-If no, they should.
they have a self only spell that reduces area damage

Warriors-
-Improve defensive skills significantly
ok but downgrade defensive spells as you suggest later
-Improve dual wield
why? so everyone will be dual wielders? why not just let them 2h? or should we make rangers archers, warriors dual wielders and anti/pal 2h? hmm what about evils
-Lower bash success rate
ok, thatll make things interesting
-Lower lag on hitall
-make it 2x/day or something.
-make all skills go to 0 for 5-10rounds or whatever after they use this skill.
its not used. so add limited area melee damage? why to warriors? they already are the best tanks, have great 2h weapons. why area damage also? shouldnt that go to a class that specializes in damage?

Rogues-
-Increase dice on daggers to balance better with spell damage.
invoker and rogue single target pretty close. invoker has a slight edge as long as the mobs dont shrug and fights are short enough that he doesnt have to dip into his 7th circle spells. also by doing this you raise backstab damage which is rather nice.
-Make the etched dagger quest hard. After all, it is the best rogue dagger isn't it?
no, it might be the best dagger that procs in off hand.
-Evasion work on dragon breath.
why
-Significantly increase exp tables. Rogues kick too much ass to level so fast.
ok but they also have extremely expensive skills requiring a lot of work to practice. and perhaps the reason why their exp is so easy is cuz they are prone to death.

Paladins-
-**Add a guard skill. This would allow a paladin to (attempt) protect 1 good aligned group member from being attacked.
ok do mobs get this skill too?
-Receive 1.5-2x healing/vits from good aligned priests.
size of heals are irrelevant to paladins heal them for 10,000 and they still not gonna be any better at tanking. losing 90% of their hps the round that stone drops is the problem.
-Double damage dealt to evil aligned mobs.
ok drop the exp bonus, make them hard as hell to level. put some of the rp restrictions back in. or did you want these to be the new rogues since you suggest we make rogue exp much harder?

Antis-
same as paladin

Clerics-
-Improved healing of pals/antis as stated above based on alignment.
only affects good races... all evils are evil as are all their clerics... or did these bonuses only apply for pal/anti? why?
-Make holy symbol items.
-2h with good attributes.
sounds good even if it has no game purpose
-make ress fail more.
ok. each time you fail ress at high level it costs about 3 hours of great exp to regain that 24% this excludes setup time, people having to come and go and all the other headaches of getting an exp group together
-Make vit add a % of the targets hp...25% perhaps.
why? vits not big enough? want rogues to have less hps and warriors to have more than 1600? you want to put more emphasis on eq? thats not very newbie friendly.

-Damage spell that does minute meteor style damage that only hurts the opposite alignment. No effect for neutral clerics.
see below

-Increase effects % on holy/unholy word.
shrug, how many times we gonna go down this road. you up it mobs rape goodies. you down it goody clerics bitch about how useless it is. there are enough area affects in the game, clerics dont need to be compounding this problem. in the shaman section you say remove an area spell... but you want to add one to clerics? i dont get why you would want to add more area more damage spells to a class that is primary healing then remove areas and decrease damage from other classes and raise constr for ench up to 10th...

Shamans-
-Remove stun effects!
ok, like ive been saying... stuns perhaps too powerful. how many !bash casters does it take to get more than two spells off these days against a 15 man group? 6? 7? 8?

-Give ancestral shield to elementalists.
umm ok why? you think ancestral shield gonna get them grouped? theres plenty of good reasons to bring an elementalist to zone. maybe they all twinking gear at boot.
-Move heals to 6th circle.
heals are 6th circle
-Move stones to 7th circle.
ok insane... with 7 heals in 6th circle and 5 gheals and 6 stones... insane. only saving grace to this suggestion is the competition between hex (6th) silence (7th) combo and heal + stone.
-Add group stone at 10th circle.
why so everyone will be stoned all the time with no effort? still gonna dscale all for big fights
-Lower area damage significantly.
ok, although soul tempest probably doesnt need a downgrade. fury might do too much damage.

Druids-
-Give the poor treehuggers some more nature rooms/zones. ET is great.
go write some
-decrease non nature damage.
i thought it already sucked hard as it was
-Lower area damage..not as much as shamans though.
druid does more area damage than shaman. so you wanna mold druids into more of a damage class? you also suggested changes that would allow shaman to become more of a healing class... why swap their roles?
-9th circle group barkskin.
ok, but who cares?
-Do druids have perm sneak in nature regardless of class? They should.
they get outdoor sneak
debatable, but ok who cares if human druids get outdoor sneak like half and elven? one less reason to play an elf.
-Give them hide only in nature rooms.
pass without trace not good enough? shrug, ok lets give them a hide spell or an innate (not a skill). then they can be sneak and hidden yea.

Elementalists-
-make pets larger.
why? how much larger?
-Make a longer delay after embody is dispelled before you can recast it as to hinder their clerical abilities.
yep.
-More hp for fire embody.
tanks are hitting in the vicinity of 1700 hps as it is. you suggest making vits %hp based and making fire embody larger? what kinda tanks you going for 2k? 2.5k?
-Fire embodied tanks heal from fire based spells/shields.
why? so they can be even twinkier? should they take double damage from cold shield too? so lessen their clerical abilities by making embody take longer to cast, then give tthem more healing ability by making fire embodied targets healable.
-Make their fire/cold shields more potent..they are masters of the elements.
ok, self only ones. the elementals are just used to twink anyways.
-Give them the same hp as enc/inv..seriously..
yep. cept i think the vision for this class was to give a nod to solors. in that case they really do need that extra 50 hps.
-Give them elemental shield..from the shamans...at 10th circle.
why give them a renamed ancestral shield? is it still gonna block all general area damage like soul tempest, cyclone, ancestral fury, phantasmal blades? or were you just thinking clouds and infernos?

Illusionists-
-Make tia boots !mage
make tia boots !sneak. interestingly enough you dont propose to make them !druid or !ranger.
-Lower hp to inv/enc levels.
ok, but realize inv/enc far more specialized than illusinoist. illusionist has a lot of utility features, also lends itself to exploration and solo type adventures.
-Drop shades to 5th circle. Non twinked-out-plvled illus are so crappy to level from 21-26...
ok, i assume your talking about leveling solo. how does shade affect their in group leveling? or we just looking at solo leveling?
-Increase shadow magic damage to help with the above problem.
are these guys really any harder to level than say an ench, invoker...classx?
-Make nightmare stun more..seems low to me.
so remove single target stuns from shaman then make illusionist area stun more effective... you do realize that area affects are more unbalanced than single target effects right?

Necros-
-Death pact to 10th circle.
ok
-Banshee wail gone.
why? why take a debuff away from them?
-10th circle beltyns type spell that hurts wraith/undeads with blind/para style effects.
so make them mini invokers + effects you say?
-Lower hp to enc/inv levels.
ok again lowering their hps really takes away from their solo ability which is substantial compared to todays classes but a far cry from soj/toril standards. also you do realize that they really need these extra hps to survive switches off their pets right?
-Blind/para effect on beltyns.
-50-75% as often as slow/para on fell frost.
so great area damage and effects. im gonna get personal here. this idea is retarded. area spells are probably the most unbalanced aspect of the game and you want to make them more powerful.

Enchanters-
-Lower the damage that dscale stops. (coupled with warrior skill increases)
ok
-Lower blur effectiveness by 10-20%.
ok
-Double haste/globe.
ok, so you wanna make it absolutely pointless to have more than one enchanter. cuz 1 ench can globe/haste/blur/dscale an entire group of 15, ok but why. its probably the hardest class to level and guess what after all that work, you only need one in a group.
-Constriction to 10th.
ok i think it does great damage, however you do realize moving it to the same circle as dscales means it will never ever ever get memd right?
-Increase stun rate for constriction.
you mean spell abort rate. why so they will mem it? over dscales? get real. maybe with the downgrades to dscales well use stones somtimes and constr to abort spells? ok maybe
-Pris to 7th.
since its already 7th im wondering whether you wanted it moved up or down. up would be my guess. ill tell you what pris is fun, major para is way more powerful.

Invokers-
-Self only armor of some sort to help <26 players mostly.
shrug they seem to want this bad. why can mages hit the same as as warriors (-100)? id cap all mage ac at 0 heh. maybe allow clerics to hit -100, maybe drive them more towards priests and cap it at 0 too heh.

-% chance to avoid invocation spells cast by mobs. (if we know its coming...)
ok, but you realize we have 800 and 900 unvitted invokers out there and they are often pivotal in battles. you wanna make invokers harder to kill?

Lich-
-MR for PCs.
ok, harder to kill big deal
-Add room preserve.
ok, cuts down lag time. so weve gone from 50 minutes per cast in toril days to 150 minutes per cast or 8 hour embalms now we need area embalm... why dont we just make corpses never rot?
-They would not receieve 10th circ necro dmg spell.
heh necros dont get a 10th circle damage spell. they get a 10th circle debuff. lichdom doubles or triples their damage output.

Squid-
-Dunno! I'd like to see them die more, and maybe do more damage. Never played one though.
hmm ok let me give you insight into squid life. shitty shitty shitty str and con, lowest hps in the game. spend their entire existence in lag. this makes them super susceptible to everyone deciding to flee out right after you kick off a pforce and getting whacked while your sitting through 2-3 rounds of lag. switches and ripostes are deadly, hence the thread a couple months ago asking that squid skills not auto engage you. squids constantly whine to clerics for vits and heals. ive been on both sides, but i also tend to be a cleric that keeps folks vitted all zone if i can. i dont know what their death rate is, but i know their low hps and intense lag makes then very susceptible to death in addition to be a very different class to play. more damage, yea maybe. maybe just giving pforce back some of its oomph would be good especially bashing part. shift owns

Bards-
-Haven't seen them since songs were up'd...how are they?
they were uber before they were upd, just under utilized.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:37 am

And to think I started reading this thread expecting something spanky like the 'class change' system in Final Fantasy 5 or Seiken Densetsu 3 :P

Fighter --> Gladiator --> Duelist. Woot!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:44 am

Actually Maedor... Ideas are encouraged on this BBS. You just seem unable to take any form of criticism, good or bad.

Lots of people post them, and then defend their ideas and reform them as they go, based on feedback, instead of deleting them.

I would start with making suggestions for the class you played the most: Invoker. Honestly, the biggest thing I learned is not to make comments on another class until I've played it and understand it, as I couldn't fathom what changes or ideas I suggested would have for an impact on them. I made the same mistake in the beginnings of my posts here, and quickly got the reputation of a busybody and a jerk. I've tried to live them down since, but once you get those reputations, it's really hard to get them to go away.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:32 am

You sorta crossed a line, bro. Retired players can't make balance change posts. We just can't, it doesn't work. Maybe little tiny requests, or you can jump in on someone else's thread, but you can't make big, sweeping posts like this and expect the active playerbase to give you any sort of respect for it.

For those of us who have retired from the game, the board is usually a pretty tolerant place as long as you let the players play. Hang out here and chat, throw your voice in on opinion posts, or explain intelligently why you WOULD feel a certain way about a balance change IF you were still playing. But leave the game to the people who play it. That's all. Post and have a good time.

------------------
- Ragorn
You group-say 'What's up, bro?'
Touk group-says 'Accounting homework and skill practice.'
You group-say 'Ewww... which is worse?'
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:10 am

[
Druids-
-Give the poor treehuggers some more nature rooms/zones. ET is great.
go write some
-decrease non nature damage.
i thought it already sucked hard as it was
-Lower area damage..not as much as shamans though.
druid does more area damage than shaman. so you wanna mold druids into more of a damage class? you also suggested changes that would allow shaman to become more of a healing class... why swap their roles?
-9th circle group barkskin.
ok, but who cares?
-Do druids have perm sneak in nature regardless of class? They should.
they get outdoor sneak
debatable, but ok who cares if human druids get outdoor sneak like half and elven? one less reason to play an elf.
-Give them hide only in nature rooms.
pass without trace not good enough? shrug, ok lets give them a hide spell or an innate (not a skill). then they can be sneak and hidden yea.
]

Being a druid for a number of years, I'd like to clarify a few of your points.

1. agreed
2. I think you meant increase. This was done a few months ago as far as I know
3. When druids were revamped for S3, their role was to be voker-like
4. What exactly needs to be downgraded for area damage? The only area spell that does damage MUD-WIDE is DOOM
5. Group bark would be cool, but why bother when there is AN ITEM in the game that does this. Same goes for entangle (which I think works anywhere now, but not sure)
6. At what point did druids get outdoor sneak? *boggle*
7. What crack head thinks pwt is not good enough?! *again BOGGLE*

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:28 pm

Warriors appear to need help

Rogues appear to be much better than the other melee classes

Rangers appear to need more help than warriors.

Paladins and Antis appear to need help.

Clerics seem to want a little lovin.

Druids appear to fit pretty well I suppose.

Shamans seem too powerful. According to a well known shaman-fury does cloud type damage, i think nice damage/stone/gheal/heal/vit/pets AND stunning spells appear to make them a little too strong.

Enchanters seem to be spell bitches, and their defensive spells appear to help the tanks more than the tank skills themselves. Enchanters alsos eem to get rather tired of their class by the upper levels.

Invokers are well balanced. Just seems that if you are a master of spell knowledge, you should be able to see certain spells coming and run for cover. Don't think you could really balance that though.

Elementalists appear to be a very powerful class when played by someone who knows what they are doing.

Illusionists suck to level to 26. They appear to be well balanced after that though. I think too many classes have spells stun, and only spook/nightmare should stun.

Necros are pretty hard to play, but they enjoy decent solo ability (no stone is a huge detriment), good damage, and the hope of becoming a lich.

I probably missed a class or two. Those are just my thoughts on where classes stand. Some of the changes i suggested were in an attempt to lower the powerful classes and help out the weaker ones. Maybe all those ideas failed to do that...but that was mt attempt. Words such as appear/seem show i didnt play the class, and my thoughts are based on seeing the various classes in action for 4 years.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kerath:
<B>And to think I started reading this thread expecting something spanky like the 'class change' system in Final Fantasy 5 or Seiken Densetsu 3 :P

Fighter --> Gladiator --> Duelist. Woot!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

inv
a bottomless bag of the Tinkers
a huge drinking flagon
a Good Luck Die

*nodme*

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:51 pm

Closed, as this thread appears to have run it's course and the author deleted his opening post.

Erevan

------------------

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”