New elementalist spell?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Kegor
Sojourner

New elementalist spell?

Postby Kegor » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:29 pm

How bout a 10th circle uber hard quest spell that you can cast on items to make them !burn? Remodel breath some so that it does insane damage without prots to not take the need away from GRP or prot eq at the same time. Something like...

"ELEMENTAL RESISTANCE"
Spell.

Area of effect: object
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: N/A
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Elementalist 10th
Type of spell: Enchantment

This spell will make the target object resistant to the most severe of elements.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:36 pm

im for anything that makes it easier to keep eq we earned.

however, why not just eliminate eq nuking and remodel breath to do insane amounts of damage or stronger effects if your not prot?

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:06 am

it has to be pointed out...

where will the eq sinks be then? I'm all for making it so that random wandering doesn't get yer stuff nuked, but we gotta have eq sinks of some sort, no?

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:29 am

idea: WEAR ALL PROTS

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:53 am

It would be sucky for elementalists with the spell to be bugged constantly to make everyones stuff !burn I spose. Bad idea I guess.

Anyhow.. I still think that breath damage should be trippled to create a use for breath save eq, prots, and to make dragons fearsome. As is now I think breath damage is laughable with 0 sv_br. Although.. I am speaking as a drow, duergar, ogre, and illithid... by far the 4 most superior races in the game. Image
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:36 am

Oh goodie, another uber-hard elementalist quest spell. yay.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:04 am

As it is now, dragon breathe is way more fearsome than I ever thought it would be. With a lot of hitpoint gear on and plenty of sv breathe, a dragon breathing still hits me for 1/7th of my life on average. That's against every single thing in the room- no dragon in DnD could breathe on 15 different enemies who were all attacking it. Maybe 4-5 at most if they maneuvered well. Then dragons also have the benefit of being able to breathe every single round of combat.

I do not trifle with a foe that has a breathe weapon, as it is one of the most fearsome things they can be equipped with. If anything, it needs to be downgraded.

------------------
-Yayaril
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:01 pm

How bout a damaging spell for 7th circle? It takes so long to kill I fall asleep Image Seems ice layer should hurt, since earthquake does..same effect, basically. I would like to see dustdevil or sumfin

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>it has to be pointed out...

where will the eq sinks be then? I'm all for making it so that random wandering doesn't get yer stuff nuked, but we gotta have eq sinks of some sort, no?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EQ doesn't actually get nuked enough to be considered an "eq sink" by any means :P.. it happens enough for people to get pissed off at it, but i think out of all the dragon fights ive been in on i've seen my pbone get burned and someones bag.

i dont think it should be considered a "sink" or means of getting rid of excess anything unless it happens on a daily basis..most dragon fights can go without harm with realms or prots.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:00 pm

Yes, please upgrade elementalists and give them more damage spells...fix shamans while you are at it. The two best classes really need more cool spells. Soon, the mythical world of sojourn will be ruled by these two classes! How neat! Imagine how many things a class with pets/embody/stone/feeb/force missiles/blur/displace could smite...omg upgrade elementalists at once please!

PS-give elementalists ress and fheal also please...it'd make smiting quicker..
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:46 pm

Thats the most stupid thing I've ever heard Maedor. It is quite obvious that you have never played the class. This is fine, you can share your unwarrented opinions, because everyone has one.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:25 am

Gromi my dear...what is the most stupid thing you've ever heard? The part about elementalists being one of the 2 best classes? Or the part about me showing sarcasm when people suggest adding damage/spells/whatever to one of the most powerful classes?

Be clearer in your attempts to smite me por favor. It makes it easier for me to make you look retarded.

St00pid ebils...
Greg
Sizzraxxil
Sojourner

Postby Sizzraxxil » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:57 am

Rather then just say they are the most powerful how about giving an example in both the solo world and the zonage world that would make them the most powerful class in the game.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:34 pm

sigh, i shouldnt, but smite me. im not gonna say its one of the two best classes since that really depends on which aspect of the game you consider most important. however, they are close if not the best solors, and desireable in exp or zone groups though not required.

they only hurt in the zone department as much as any other class that is not the "best" at something very fundamental.

matter of fact imo, they hurt a lot less for zone or exp than the classes that can't provide any of the following: stone, heal, tank.

twink wise:

pwb
feeblemind
disposable pets (some with fireshield)
stone
cleric size vit + bonus (embody)
heal (embody + dispel)
disarm (whirlwind)
good nukes (with a variety of effects, and a variety of elemental families to take advantage of specific mob weaknesses)
invis

what can't an elementalist solo that another class can? please provide examples. Here are some examples of mobs I dont think many could solo in an unreasonable amount of time and ele can do it with !risk:

white buffalo
fire giant executioner

zone wise:
embodiement is great for those extremely high end encounters or when you have not so l33t tanks
the silence rate on ice tongue is amazing even if the duration is equally amazingly short
good area damage (not comparing to invokers)
decent single target damage (not an invoker not a rogue)
great utility globe, haste, stone, embody

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 10-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 10-10-2002).]
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:46 pm

I'm not going to go into a big long discussion into what the drawbacks of elementalists are. I will say they are significantly better then conjurers were. There are holes in their class, that makes them semi-difficult to play. Those that have played the class to 46+ level know about these problems, and this is why a large majority of them are suggesting changes. These same problems are why there is few elementalists actually playing the game, even less then bards :P. If they were such the uber class, I know for a fact there would be more people playing them.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>As it is now, dragon breathe is way more fearsome than I ever thought it would be. With a lot of hitpoint gear on and plenty of sv breathe, a dragon breathing still hits me for 1/7th of my life on average. That's against every single thing in the room- no dragon in DnD could breathe on 15 different enemies who were all attacking it. Maybe 4-5 at most if they maneuvered well. Then dragons also have the benefit of being able to breathe every single round of combat.

I do not trifle with a foe that has a breathe weapon, as it is one of the most fearsome things they can be equipped with. If anything, it needs to be downgraded.

Your race sux dude.. and your hp, natural spellsave, and natural breathsave are all effected by this I'm sure. What do you consider adiquate breathsave? -10? Sure that is probably effective for you now being as how breath does real weak damage.
Sizzraxxil
Sojourner

Postby Sizzraxxil » Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:16 am

Here is my opinion on Elementalist in relations to the zone world and the solo world..

- pwb yes it is twinkish
- feeble same thing again
- disposable pets? well they are damn small and of no use in zones other then to lure mobs.. in the solo world ya it helps
- stone again only really useful in the solo world.. duration for mentalist stone is like 3min and it will last about 8-10 hits before runs out.. in the zone life we could act as the primary stoner and with a good group can pull it off but in big multi mob fights that have fire/coldshield it wears off within seconds so it all comes down to the healers in the end
- embods? ya they help out a lot in zone and solo worlds.. we are capable of healing ourselves in solo world.. in the zoneage world its uses are obvious
- for single target damage spells we got when it comes down to it whirlwind/earthblood.. whirlwind is pretty decent for solo life but in zones usually opt for the area spells fire/icewave.. and the disarm part of whirlwind is FAR to unreliable to depend on it I've cast about 30whirlwinds w/o a disarm before.. earthblood is an amazing spell it does sizable amount of damage plus has a paralyze side effect.. which has both good parts and bad.. the bad is that it sometimes paralyze stuff that you don't want para ie. dragons plus I've had it last like 3rounds to 10..another bad thing about earthblood is that there are a lot of mobs that it won't work on so thats like making invokers best single target damage spell and making it only work on certain things.. the good part is whatever is good about paralyze and sizable damage when you want it
- area spells? ice/firewave, blizzard sphere, lava burst.. they all good no side effects.. just standard area damage spells.. lava burst is a nice damage one.. prob almost the same damage as earthblood.. cept area
- ice tongue? in zones to be honest it hits about as much as any other silence the only reason you may see me getting it all the time(least for evils dunno about goodies) is that its all I cast and it has like 3* cast time so I can get off like 6 sils in very little time.. so the clerics may cast like a couple here and there but usually casting healing in between.. I've had it before where I cast it about 12 times and failed everytime

I'll admit I think elementalist are probably one of the best solo classes in the mud if you know how to play it and know how mobs work and the mud works.

In zones they are handy to have.. embods are quite useful. My job a lotta times in fights is to silence stuff or just damage... I can be a backup stoner if absolutely necessary but pretty damn rare that that happens.

Overall I think elementalist don't need any upgrades.. nor do I think any downgrades I like them the way they are..

Not sure how this post changed into a rating of elementalists.. but to the orignal post.. the spell Jaznolg suggested really wouldn't give mentalist any edge whatsoever.. you could give that spell to any class he just thought it fit the mentalist class more
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:03 am

Give a 7th circle spell as I put in my other post! Hehe, call it Water spray or something! ...An elite guard tells Lord Pigeoncrap, 'Damn, dude, I just got hosed!'
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:01 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sizzraxxil:
<B>
- stone again only really useful in the solo world.. duration for mentalist stone is like 3min and it will last about 8-10 hits before runs out.. in the zone life we could act as the primary stoner and with a good group can pull it off but in big multi mob fights that have fire/coldshield it wears off within seconds so it all comes down to the healers in the end

I just wanted the point out that...

An elementalist with stone and elemental ward is damn near as powerful in a zone-caliber fight against casters as an enchanter with globe and dragonscales.

(However I feel blur and the sheer volume of "beef" an enchanter can provide to groupmates puts them higher overall.. oh, and prismatic spray).

If you think the elementalist's stoneskins on tanks would chip on coldshield/fireshield, you are mistaken (elemental ward prevents this).

An enchanter could be replaced in many/most groups by an elementalist and an illusionist (though you would have to limit hitters without more globes). However, all three in one group are SO powerful that I don't think enchanters need feel threatened :P

Regards,
Jorus
Sizzraxxil
Sojourner

Postby Sizzraxxil » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:04 am

Keep in mind Jorus.. that for the evils elemental ward is often overlooked.. the lich always casts globes before I even get a chance to mention it.. plus I just got lvl46.. so haven't had the opportunity to experiment with it as of yet
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sizzraxxil:
Keep in mind Jorus.. that for the evils elemental ward is often overlooked.. the lich always casts globes before I even get a chance to mention it.. plus I just got lvl46.. so haven't had the opportunity to experiment with it as of yet</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nods Image But take my word for it, even if the tank is globed, it is worth warding on shielded fights.

Once your tanks get used to it, you will be widely loved.

Regards,
Jorus
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:24 am

I ward tanks period. In real big fights I try to ward anyone that can rescue. It makes a difference. A big one.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”