New Ranger Ability

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Krogenar
Sojourner

New Ranger Ability

Postby Krogenar » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:32 pm

I think it would be great it Rangers had either one or both of the following modifications.

1. Give Rangers more movement points, or - create a spell or skill that halves the movement cost over terrain. Rangers, to me, are about traveling, and moving all the time.

2. Create special areas, or 'paths' through which only Rangers, or Ranger-led parties can pass through. Say there's a zone that takes a long walk to get to... create a shortcut area through a very rugged wilderness area that cuts the travel time in half, or less. Then Rangers will be invited along on some of these 'zoning' trips more often.

I don't think that change would be overpowering, or unbalancing. It would just be a convenience. And there's no end to the RP themes you could develop for these 'short-cuts' - heavy rapids in a river, a vertical cliff, an underwater area, dense forests, swamplands, or tundra.

Roleplaying a Ranger could be more fun that way. Image Just an idea.

------------------
- Krogenar
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:54 pm

Rangers do get vigorize spells, so they are able to travel long distances. But anyway, how about this:

Wilderness Navigation
Reflexive skill.

Class/Level: Ranger 10th, Dire Raider 10th

Allows the character to travel through rough and mountainous terrain with relative ease compared to those without this skill. Can reduce movement point cost over certain terrain.
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krogenar:
create a shortcut area through a very rugged wilderness area that cuts the travel time</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, if people actually walked places, there might be some demand for bards' song of travel! Image
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:07 pm

What about druids?
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:17 pm

We get vig critic. Don't need anything else for movement. I can walk a long ass way befor I have to stop and pray (since besides barkskin and natures blessing, vig critic is on of our best remaning spells, sad but true)The last thing rangers need is another useless skill. Id rather have trap implemented. Then I could at least go have some fun RP'ing out at TP.

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:37 pm

how about giving rangers a skill or spell to see hidden exits better? they are suppose to like find paths right? or how about give them some sort of greater search ability.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:16 am

Vigorize covers things pretty well and the skill would eventually be rendered totally moot by fly. I'd rather see the lower level vig spells get a bump in power to make them worth memorizing instead of just forgoing vigs entirely until you get critical.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:13 am

I just think it would be great if there were certain wilderness zones that could not be entered without the help of a ranger - or they would be much harder to traverse.

I have no problems walking around the world. That's a big part of my RP with my character. But it would be great if rangers were the best at walking - just short of wizards, and other magically-moving characters.

Is every area of the mud accessible via magic? If not, then rangers could become more useful in group situations, if this idea (or something similar) were implemented.

------------------
- Krogenar
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:16 pm

if this skill was implemented it would be nature only so wellers/gaters would still be effective its a good adea but i dont see it happening in the nbear future right now the rangers need more hitter help than travel help as said above we have vigorize spells wich alows us to move farther faster than any other hitter/warrior class
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amolol:
if this skill was implemented it would be nature only so wellers/gaters would still be effective its a good adea but i dont see it happening in the nbear future right now the rangers need more hitter help than travel help as said above we have vigorize spells wich alows us to move farther faster than any other hitter/warrior class</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ragorn, please wield the mighty Grammar Hammer. I find myself unable to summon the strength to carry this task to completion.

Oh, and Rylan's idea is nifty.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:02 am

Ranger required zones? Eeeek, then we need a ranger on all the time aswell? Sounds far less than fun or convenient. Image

'sides, rangers have hard nuff time finding way out of WD let alone through a zone! these are sojourn rangers! *grins*

How about awareness give you a chance to spot hidden exits on entry to a room, a small one, that would kick ass...mebbe... some way needed to stop ranger walkin in and out instead of searchin tho...

------------------
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:07 am

Not really. Just make it tell us that there _is_ an exit in the room, don't actually reveal it. Then we have to search to open it up anyway...

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:01 am

i got a new ranger spell idea:

"REINCARNATION"
Spell.

Area of effect: <self>
Aggressive: No
Cumulative: N/A
Duration: Instantaneous
Class/Circle: Ranger 10th
Type of spell: Whatever

The ranger is deleted and rerolled into a useful class.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:42 pm

*rofl*

Oh god did I just laugh at a Dartan post?

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”