Flee needs to be a skill

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Deltin
Sojourner

Flee needs to be a skill

Postby Deltin » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:30 pm

If you can fail at fleeing shouldn't it be a skill? If you panic shouldn't that be a function of int/wis? Level should play a factor as well, the more you are exposed to the horrors of dragons and combat the less sensitive you'd be to those things.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:54 am

I would agree with this, but i would not make it an int/wis check it should be a con check.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:17 am

wis check with large modifiers due to class and race.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:56 pm

should just let skeletons teach people how to flee ..00..

------------------
MoM-D
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:56 pm

Flee? Just word yourself to your hometown like I do...naked and smiling Image

------------------
Meatshield
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:55 am

Since when should you need to be skilled at turning tail and running like a little school girl who just saw the big, bad monster? No checks need to be made here (except the ones made payable to Gordex Travel Agency).

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gordex:
<B>Since when should you need to be skilled at turning tail and running like a little school girl who just saw the big, bad monster? No checks need to be made here (except the ones made payable to Gordex Travel Agency).

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you can fail at doing it. After years of experiencing these "horrors" i have to believe someone wouldn't be paniced by the same old things. How many times has your character fought in dragon? Probably enough that you'd say oh hum another dragon no biggy and not be paniced if you had to flee.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B> Since you can fail at doing it. After years of experiencing these "horrors" i have to believe someone wouldn't be paniced by the same old things. How many times has your character fought in dragon? Probably enough that you'd say oh hum another dragon no biggy and not be paniced if you had to flee.

There is nothing ho-hum about a dragon, no matter how many times you've fought/encountered them. The damn beasts can get to over 200 feet long, fifty feet tall. The damn things are supposed to be awe inspiring, and it doesn't matter how many times you've managed to fight one, it's a fresh experience each time.

The only reason people can adopt this attitude is because there's no real penalty to dying. A little bit of exp, that's all. Might not be so blase if after dying you had other negative effects for awhile :P

Sylvos
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:47 pm

well I guess the point is that you can "panic" and not flee on the smallest of mobs and or mobs and you have encountered many times, just doesn't make sense really.
If you fail on something then there should be a reason and hence it should be a skill as we are all not created equal.

------------------
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:58 pm

I look at the 'panic' issue as such:

You are fleeing because you are panicing and scared ("run away... run away"). When your character is in this state of mind, he may not see the person(s) around him, and run into them, or try to side step them, etc. Because each round of combat is considered short, you fail the flee until next round (next flee attempt).

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gordex:
<B>I look at the 'panic' issue as such:

You are fleeing because you are panicing and scared ("run away... run away"). When your character is in this state of mind, he may not see the person(s) around him, and run into them, or try to side step them, etc. Because each round of combat is considered short, you fail the flee until next round (next flee attempt).

I agree with what you said, however without it being a skill there is no way to seperate the failure due level or class, certainly a level 50 warrior would not panic as much or often as a level 10 invoker, only way to account for that would seem to be a skill.

------------------
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:08 am

The level 10 invoker will be dead before he has a chance to to flee from what the level 50 warrior can flee from. Furthermore, this is not skill, or stats based. This is more a test of willpower, and your bowels (and their movements). There is no SKILL involved. Either you are getting your ass kicked and want to run, or you are not, and that is dictated by how many hp you have. I personally dont see a need to change it.

We have the options of flee or retreat (depending on if you are the tank or not). Failing brings to the table, the ability to actually die, instead of calculating EXACTLY when to run away and heal to fight another day.

[This message has been edited by gordex (edited 10-27-2002).]
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:18 pm

Some casters tank when doing exp or alignment what if you want to "flee" to mem? that has nothing to do with loosing hps. Like you said a test of will power hence int/wis check. Has no one ever played a game where horror factor is involved?
It still makes no sense that I can fail to flee from the smallest of mobs. As an example the argo dogs in split shield I don't want to bother with them so I'd just rather flee but I have failed to flee, they just aren't worth the offensive spell.

------------------
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:34 pm

flee works really good imho...

------------------
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:42 pm

From messing with it, this seems to be somehow based on roomsize.

dunno for sure tho

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”