New Playable race?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Myre
Sojourner

New Playable race?

Postby Myre » Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:34 am

What about Githyanki or Githzerai...

maybe playable classes perhaps: cleric, psionisist, invoker, illusionist...

why?
well as an evil race player...i'd like the chance to play a day vision cleric or an illsionist without playing a snake..
or perhaps a psionisist without playing a squid. or heck just for diversity sake..

suggestions? once again i'm sure people that aren't into flaming will have far better ideas on this than i will..

i'd suggest maybe make them similar to elves...since they are a 'planer' race...make it so they can't leave their certain area until like level 20...something like the elfgate idea..

perhaps a few minor innates...like a minor resistance to psi attacks or something.

Need someone to write the area? I'll give it a shot..

Another potential reason...not that this is all that important...but if we are to balance the player base a little bit...perhaps a new race would draw some attention to the evil side...dire raiders generated a lot of interest..perhaps this would help as well.

Anyways..just a thought..not that there isn't enough for the staff on their 'to do' lists Image

Zajan

[This message has been edited by Myre (edited 11-05-2002).]
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:03 am

Are snake upgrades still coming like Shev mentioned so many moons ago?

The majority agree with Zajan about not wanting to play a snake because of their disadvantages.

/sszan
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:17 am

I don't know about creating a new race, but I would certainly like to see some more variety for the evils. Drow illusionists, for one thing, would be a good move. Almost every other class allows you a choice, but if you want to be an evil illusionist your stuck being a snake...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:08 am

Drow illusionists a good move? Excuse me while I laugh... that would be a truly horrible addition.

As it stands the only reason to play a snake is their monopoly on the illusionist class. Everyone knows their stats are pure shit, they lose 4 slots that have some of the best eq available and have the hardest hometown. There would be NO reason to play one if drow with their uber stats, innates and hometown also had them.

No, a good move would be to finally make yuan-ti of 'genius intelligence' and 'lightning fast' like the helpfiles say they are, which may just start justifying their hardships.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:18 am

The thing about the Gith races is, where would they fit in? Illithids are simply far and away the best psionic race. My fellow D&D historians will agree with me that the only reason that Gith and her slave rebellion managed to topple the Illithid domination of the entire multiverse was their massive advantage of numbers. Comparing two individuals of the same race, a Gith would be totally outclassed psionically by an Illithid.

Where does that leave a Sojourn Gith PC? A psi half (or less) as good as an Illithid with some hitpoint advantages? Dont forget that they'd still be under psi eq restrictions. They would also not have a highly useful innate at low levels, braindrain. So your Gith psi would be doing less damage, taking longer to meditate back psp and having to start life on the Astral plane. People dont play Halfling invoker, why would they play Gith psi?

A role I can envision would be anti-paladin, for Githyanki only. That fits thematically, and would provide a real niche for Githyanki. If that was implemented, then you could have Githyanki with options to be warrior, rogue, anti and psi. With most people playing anti, and masochists picking one of the other 3 Image

All fruitless speculation of course, because Gith are not going to happen.

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000193.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000173.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000222.html
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000080.html

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:30 pm

ACK!!!
my lord had no idea that the constant influx of dribble that we call a bbs already beat this idea like a dead horse.

I'd like to offer my apologies on dragging up a dead subject. My intent was to try to generate some interst in the evil player base. However, as we all know the road to hell is paved with dead suggestions of the sojourn bbs.

Sorry guys,
Letting this string die...(I hope)

Zajan
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:18 pm

Aren't you forgetting the most important new race by far:

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Myre
Sojourner

Postby Myre » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:22 pm

I can just see the new zones being written now...

Worn on head - a huge frilly table cloth.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:09 pm

Beholders

1 proc per circle

*nog me*

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Uwuw
Sojourner

Postby Uwuw » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:56 pm

Nonononono!

Kobolds
Rogue, Warrior, Shaman.

nod nod, code them like evilrace halflings, nogs me.

and let Half-Elves be anything but pally, anti pal and psi

Half-elves supposed to be the "crossroads" race, with the most options available.

either that instead of Kobolds, allow
Goblins

Warrior, Rogue, Shaman, Dire Raider.

nods giggle

-just being silly me guess.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:55 pm

Hm, I wroteup goblins, beholders, and gith at one point. IIRC.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:54 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Drow illusionists a good move? Excuse me while I laugh... that would be a truly horrible addition.

As it stands the only reason to play a snake is their monopoly on the illusionist class. Everyone knows their stats are pure shit, they lose 4 slots that have some of the best eq available and have the hardest hometown. There would be NO reason to play one if drow with their uber stats, innates and hometown also had them.

No, a good move would be to finally make yuan-ti of 'genius intelligence' and 'lightning fast' like the helpfiles say they are, which may just start justifying their hardships.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yuan-Ti makes the best cleric.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”