Clerics - Spells and Abilities

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:55 pm

Balance Issues: You shouldn't be able to do this to more than one person, I would think. Also, I don't know how well the code supports multiple single target spell effects.

I'm pretty sure tazriks frenzied hound has this kindof effect.. cast it and for 3 consecutive rounds it damages the mob.. so i think it could exist in miracle form for pc's.

E
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:16 pm

To my knowledge i'm pretty happy with the balance of clerics. (lvl 41 so far)
What I just dislike are the 2 circles; nine and ten that are really bad.

I think something should be done to give clerics something in those circles. I have before mentioned moving spells up and enhancing them. Mabye move unholy word up. or make an 'advanced room pressure' spell. Or mabye take other classes advantages such as detect invis and place it on 9th level. These things would ofcource make clerics more powerfull, but in a differnt more un-über way.

Compared to other classes then the resurrection is powerfull for others, and not for the caster itself. and divine blessing isn't even as good as bless because it only gives +1 to hit like a bless cast by a n00b. Revive is just crap. (I don't know Greater Realm of protection)

After having zoned a bit I can see that sometimes a groupvit/vit with more duration would be x3m usefull. But issues such as these are better left untouched, because what we need imho is not an upgrade, just some more flexible high circles.

/Disoputlip (may change my mind once i get 50)
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:10 pm

My Divine Blessing is +2hit/-3sv_sp.
Maybe there is some funny crossover point when its not as good as bless?

Revive is useful if someone fails a res and you're in an area where you can't get them back easily.

I would love to see a self-only true sight type spell in 9th circle tho.. drool
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taka:
<B>I think one of the problem is that healing spells are not affected by your skill in spellcast healing.

Make it so that at level 50 with maxed spellcast heal do 150 instead of 100. And it would also affect the cure spells and full heal in a similar way.

I saw lots of suggestion about giving some form of group heal to cleric. If that is done, Shaman would become obsolete in zone.

I think a good way to encourage !neutral alignement would be to create a protection spell which require both caster and targer to be same align and !neutral. Maybe a protection from breath spell?
(does not need to be given to cleric, but could be).</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incorrect; skill makes a huge difference for my char.

Every time I miss a divine blessing, or get nice eq I can't use, I fleetingly wish that druids could be good as well as neutral. Of course, I soon come to my senses, but it's not all bad. Play to your strengths.

Oh, and lag should be removed on player holy wording - it clearly doesn't lag mobs.
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:44 am

I think that there ought to be a 9th circle create beer spell and a 10th circle bless beer spell.

That is all.
Tagor
Sojourner

Postby Tagor » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:43 pm

Ok seriously this time.

I just started playing in early March, after having played off and on since Toril. This is my first "serious" character, and the highest level I've gotten. I'm a human cleric.

So far I've really enjoyed playing a cleric. I've been useful in groups, I was able to solo at lower levels when I couldn't get a group, my spell circles have been interesting and motivated me to level to get them. Really, I don't have complaints, it's been a lot of fun.

Today I made level 41 (finally - is it just me or is 36-40 a nightmare? it probably just gets worse huh, don't tell me) and now have access to the 9th circle. This is the first time where I've been totally apathetic about getting a spell circle. I mean really, I just don't care.

1) !fail full harms - doesn't do much for me. I don't fail them very often any way, and its not like people group me for the damage.

2) revive - if there's failed ress corpses around, then there's a resser around too, which means they have revive also. I guess this might be useful if the resser dies and I live, and the missing exp is worth getting the resser back. But really, I doubt I'll use this anytime soon. Maybe I could use it for lowbie CR's, I go in and clear the aggro mobbies then revive the lowbie or something. Bah I dunno.

3) plane shift - I'm tempted to not even learn this spell, with my penchant for dying in unpleasant places I'll probably just end up losing my corpse. (many thanks to Lilithelle, Rylan and Renarya, for helping with my dumb n00b mistake cr's)

4) divine blessing - I guess this is something to cast while everyone is sitting around idle waiting for something. I'm kind of indifferent on it.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to 10th circle for obvious reasons, so 9th circle is really the only unhappy circle to me.

That's all I've got to say on the matter. I hope the thoughts of a newish cleric would be helpful/interesting.

Tagor Isenod
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:09 am

Tagor Tagor Tagor....Tsk

You got it all wrong dude! Revive is agreeably a useless spell now but the other two spells are awesome. Divine blessing gives everyone in the room with your alignment +2hit -3ss (at 50) which can really make a difference for some melee people. Planeshift...I'm not even going get into this. Can I just get a show of hand of all you clerics out there who think Planeshift is da bomb?

Anyway, what you really shouldn't look forward to is the 10th. Reasons: 1. Dragon fight responsibilities 2. A quest longer than anything you can imagine 3. Getting spammed to death by complete strangers...(this is a good thing of course if you are very lonely Image)

Yssilk

------------------
Gufry
Sojourner

Postby Gufry » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:27 am

Well -

I'll preface this by saying that I've never played a cleric, but I've talked to a number of clerics and it seems that this class could really us a makeover (which is what this thread is really all about). So I figured I'd bump the thread to get the discussion rolling again.

Having said that, here are a few suggestions (some are similar to one that have been made before):

skills:
a) turn undead (make it a skill, not a spell, maybe add some extra effects like killing low level undead, stunning them etc. .. maybe make it more effective if targeted, or if a holy symbol is held ..)
b) Offense and double attack (perhaps double attack at a high level, such as 30) .. just for the heck of it, not that they'll do a lot of damage, but I think quite a few clerics would like the idea of being able to actually hit mobs and do a little damage

spells:
4th circle: spiritual hammer (either conjures a hammer, simple damage spell, or it enchants the clerics weapon so that the next time the cleric hits a target, it causes extra damage *insert spanky message here*)
8th circle: wings of the angel/devil (fly for clerics) can make it self only?
9th circle: wrath of god (damage spell, make it spanky, like constriction)
10th circle: spiritual link (clerics hps are linked to the targets - either damage gets split between the cleric and the target, or the cleric starts losing hps, once the target reaches 0)

Le'ts get the discussion rolling again. Just because clerics are a staple of any serious zone group doesn't mean that they shouldn't be fun to play as well.

Guf
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>if your cleric is tanking smoke exp you're doing it wrong. I make my mages tank even when they have hundreds of hp less then me.

higher agi, coldshield, etc</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gormal is absolutely correct about this I works tons better, either way the cleric isn't going to use much offense and just spam heals so may as well spam the heals on someone who has fire or cold shield for extra damage.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tagor:
<B>4) divine blessing - I guess this is something to cast while everyone is sitting around idle waiting for something. I'm kind of indifferent on it.
Tagor Isenod</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be. It's subtle but powerful.

------------------
Nekler group-says 'do NOT rescue mori. he is to die this trip :P'
Nunaethil tells you 'You'll be missing out! So far we have the WD fountain totally under control.'
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wargo:
<B>You got it all wrong dude! Revive is agreeably a useless spell now but the other two spells are awesome. Divine blessing gives everyone in the room with your alignment +2hit -3ss (at 50) which can really make a difference for some melee people. Planeshift...I'm not even going get into this. Can I just get a show of hand of all you clerics out there who think Planeshift is da bomb?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Divine blessing is fairly helpful although I think people are saying it's much more powerfull than it really is. Any hitter of level 46 or higher doesn't need +2 to hit in general. Some don't even need the -sv. Planeshift is a luxury, when you have ress and nothing else to do, complete pshift. If you're zoning there will be gaters or even better, illusionist. I didn't have planeshift for a very long time and did just fine without it, I'm sure there's people who don't have it yet and are older characters than me.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”