New mounts!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
delmair
Sojourner

New mounts!

Postby delmair » Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:38 pm

I know for sure this idea has been tackled many a time by many a different person, but here goes anyway:

Paladins and their counterparts Anti-paladins, as i am sure most of you all know, recieve the unique ability (well, dire raiders can too so i guess it's not truly "unique", but anyway...) to summon mounts to their aid. Now, with the new code the mounts are incapable of assisting in combat (previous wipes they were quite good tanks and decent hitters when soloing at low-mid levels) so they just offer their loyal owners a less fatiguing way to travel. They also play a core part in the use of a skill usable by these 3 classes. i mean, what would mounted combat be without a mount? Now, to get to the point....

From the moment that these classes are granted the power to summon mounts, they summon one type of mount. Although these mounts do increase in hitpoints and movement as the player advances, there is no real obvious change. ( i haven't played a dire raider yet so i can't speak for them, but i'm pretty sure a dire wolf is a dire wolf is a dire wolf ) I believe, as i am sure most of my mounted counterparts will agree, there needs to be some variety in what is summoned. i can't tell you how tired i am of seeing "a coal black charger"...how boring! What i suggest is that the mounts change with level or even with a quest of some sort to bigger, more glorious mounts as time goes on. Since these mounts cannot, and would not be involved in battle (if they followed suit with their lowly counterparts) i suggest that maybe at the higher levels mounts that are capable of flight or have resistances to certain elements would be favorable! Perhaps a hippogriff or griffon for paladins (flight and perhaps resistance to cold or lightning or fire or something)
and mebbe nightmares or something for antis (flight, prot fire, dunno be creative!)...

Just thinking that this might spice things up a bit and get away from the doldrums of the same "a magnificent heavy warhorse" and "a coal black charger"....(and of course whatever the long desc is for a dire wolf)

Just my $.02.....
Delmair

------------------
Delmair Aamoren
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:14 pm

I thought about this a couple times but never figured it would go anywhere if I suggested it.

Good on ya for doing what I didn't want to :P

Kallinar was here.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:48 pm

I think its a good idea for mounts to change appearance, i dunno about getting fly and stuff like that tho Image

Maybe like:
level
1-10 an all-white pony
11-20 a battle scarred pony
21-30 a magnificent heavy warhorse
31-40 a warhorse garbed in battle armor
41-50 the best warhorse ever..etc...you get the idea

Just to change the descrip of it, I think would be cool..and the same for antis mounts

Snurgt take no prisoner
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:58 pm

Or maybe when you first summon your horse, it's like getting a shaman pet. Some get black horses. Some get white. Some get arabians. Some get sturdy ponies, etc.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:34 am

I like Auril's idea Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:15 am

Well that would rock for all but Dire raiders I suppose :P

Dire Raider
+ Dire Wolf
--------------
Stuck with Wolf

But for Pallys and Antis I like Aurils Idea too Image

KAllinar was here
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:30 am

can't paladins/antis use mounts to initiate combat?

if not then thats probably a dire raider bug, you can order wolf kill mob and he will do it.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Auril:
Or maybe when you first summon your horse, it's like getting a shaman pet. Some get black horses. Some get white. Some get arabians. Some get sturdy ponies, etc.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooo you go gurl!!

Elomar summons a pink and purple polkadot pony! He blushes when he realizes!! (go go gadget Lorothel!)

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Dirjornso
Sojourner

Postby Dirjornso » Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:48 pm

why not fly? there is enough fly gear around anywayss.. and yes there is a risk to haveing a flying mount Image fly room and you fall off in combat Image whoops.. welcome to sojourn
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>can't paladins/antis use mounts to initiate combat?

if not then thats probably a dire raider bug, you can order wolf kill mob and he will do it.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably a bug, unless they wanted the wolves to be able to fight too. Back in the day paladinmounts would attack and tank, rescue their master, etc.. but that ended with the addition of mounted combat.. (and is the primary reason of the new "striking someones mount is an act of cowardice!" code).. unless your Turxx..who always eats my horses :P

Back to the main idea though, I definately like the idea o having different horses like totems, and possibly even a quest at higher level for a better mount. There aren't TOO many balance issues when you think about it, except that it might make mounted combat too versatile?

ie:
Giving Pallys griffon mounts that fly would cut down on enchanters having to cast fly on their horse doing zones like astral/smoke/etc..

Giving Anti's nightmares would do the same with fly, and possibly allow for prot fire so they could do zones like fireplane and brass, and soak a little bit of that dragonsbreath/cloud damage sanz the greenstone earrings that we the mounties covet so much.

If anything along those lines (ie: mounts with abilities) were introduced I think it should be something quested.. but I also like Auril's idea of having a different, random type horse much like the spirit system.

Babbling Image

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:45 pm

First time summoning a mount....

say hope I get a good mount
You say 'hope I get a good mount'

summon mount

A large white bunny answers your call!
A large white bunny starts following you.

say crap.
You say 'crap.'

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:56 pm

Galkar rides in from the west on a stick with a plastic horse head on the end.

------------------
-Yayaril
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:13 pm

Unless the appearance of the various inns is deceiving, virtually no-one(pals/antis/dires) stables their mount. I know that I just summon a mount at the end of my journey, because I don't want to abandon my mount after 30-40 rooms. I can walk from WD to BS in one go, but, if I have a mount *follow* me, I'll have to abandon him in the Alterian range. You can't make the stupid things sleep, so there's generally no use in riding them. If they'd just fix them so that riding them made more sense than sending them to a glue factory...

Eilorn.

------------------
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:19 am

I've got plans for new mounts, and other things for mounted classes. Its been in the works for like 6 months. I am waiting until Dires are done being tested (and the intense amount of new zones needing procs to lessen) to add/balance them.

It will come.

-Garg

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
<B>I've got plans for new mounts, and other things for mounted classes. Its been in the works for like 6 months. I am waiting until Dires are done being tested (and the intense amount of new zones needing procs to lessen) to add/balance them.

It will come.

-Garg</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keen! More pets to get tossed in the pokey for theft! Muahahahahahaaaaa...

- Grungar "Unstoppbable?" Forgefire
Dhurn
Sojourner

Postby Dhurn » Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:52 am

Where is he?

Where is my dhurned WarBoar?

I keep calling him....and he has yet to respond....damned pig *grumble*

- Dhurn Shadowforge
Dorfen Thug/Paladin of Moradin

------------------
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:43 pm

Bah! Only Rangers should be able to get interesting mounts. You may be able to tank better and charge and stuff but you will never ride nightmares, griffons, unicorns or any of the other spanky mounts we rangers can get!

Tilandal falls of his high horse.

------------------
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gargamel:
<B>I've got plans for new mounts, and other things for mounted classes. Its been in the works for like 6 months. I am waiting until Dires are done being tested (and the intense amount of new zones needing procs to lessen) to add/balance them.

It will come.

-Garg

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Garg rox Image

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Quinelain Dembrovia
Sojourner

Postby Quinelain Dembrovia » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:02 am

Hey Gargle-smell, any updates for us?

------------------
--------------------------
<B>Sir Quinelain Dembrovia
Servant of Iyachtu
Hater of all things Good.</B>
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:00 am

I hope to god we arent returning to the days of paladins being a pet class, with warhorses tanking xp.

Im sorry, but if you hit a horse with a sword, its not going to stick around Image

I would like to see a more involved horse code though, as has been for a long time (and even more so in the beginging) one of the cooler and more unique parts of sojourn (the mounted code).

Keep up the good work garg, looking forward to seeing what your doing!

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
kragt
Sojourner

Postby kragt » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:49 pm

I wanna see trolls on harpies...

------------------
Not just good, good enough.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:27 pm

SUPER busy right now, haven't had time to go back and work on them.

Between the proc audit, the holidays and all of the new zones, its been shelved until after the new year.

I'll give you an update then.

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:24 pm

Any updates on this?
-pheten

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”