Memorizing Low Spell Circles

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
retark2
Sojourner

Memorizing Low Spell Circles

Postby retark2 » Wed Dec 12, 2001 3:00 pm

While rememorizing all of my spells after another Retark death, I thought how strange it seems that I need my spellbook to memorize a one-page, first circle spell that I have had since level 1.

Would it be possible/understandable to add a skill attribute for say 1st-3rd level spell circles that would allow for a caster to permanently memorize the spells after using them a set amount of times; kind of like any other skill. Level caps could be added so that a level 6 'voker would not be spellbook-independent.

I don't think this would give too much advantage to high-level mages since I haven't used magic missile since like 21, and would make death mems soooo much less annoying.

Any thoughts?

-Retark
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Dec 12, 2001 5:53 pm

Nifty idea..

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000433.html to see what happens to nifty ideas that aren't very important.

Corth
Keijen
Sojourner

Postby Keijen » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:44 pm

How about allowing mages to mem spells sans spellbooks in the presence of the guildmaster? It's unfortunate, but sometimes 3 sets of spares just ain't enough.

Pen
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Nifty idea..

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000433.html to see what happens to nifty ideas that aren't very important.

Corth </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*comf* I wondered what was happening to that...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:03 am

so if you didnt need a book to mem it, why wouldnt you be able to chain cast it forever?
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:19 am

Nah you still only have a fixed number of spell slots per circle. You could cast forever, but you need to interrupt each cast with a hearty mem session.

- Grungar "Wheee" Forgefire
retark2
Sojourner

Postby retark2 » Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:19 pm

Exactly, all I am saying is lose the book requirement for the low circles after memorizing/using a ton of times.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keijen:
<B>How about allowing mages to mem spells sans spellbooks in the presence of the guildmaster? It's unfortunate, but sometimes 3 sets of spares just ain't enough.

Pen</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this idea! That is a really good idea. Damn! I wish I'd thought of it. Still have to pay if you want to scribe, but memming is free - cool! I can't think of twinkishness here, I say if possible, do it Image I don't know how hard this would be to imp.

Vadian
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:15 am

my point is the only thing that keeps a mage from chain casting spells is that he forgets the spell after he casts it. if you never forgot the runes/chant for a level 1 spell, why would you ever have to mem it?
retark2
Sojourner

Postby retark2 » Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:36 am

Kiryan,

You would LEARN the spell, not permanently memorize it. Currently, quest spells, once you learn the skill, you never need a spellbook for it. You still need to mem it, but you need no book. I am asking if we could LEARN the spells through enough practice that we wouldn't need to actually LOOK at a spellbook to memorize it, simply meditate about our familiar spell (without a book, but same mem time) and it would be added to our mem queue.

My point was that if at level 49 I still need to refresh my memory of magic missile by looking at the original text, then I need to get out of the invoking business.

Retark
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:11 pm

This is in reply to Corth's post about what happens to nifty ideas:

Go take some coding classes, free up about 2 hours a day, and then join our staff to fix these issues.

Barring that, get a clue and stop posting innane inflammatory stool.

R (who admits that he is having a bad day and might be just a tad more annoyed with Corth's posts than the normal day-to-day banging-head-against-wall response)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:18 pm

Corth, with all the posts and discussions going on here, sometimes we miss a post or two. By your attitude, you're acting like it was a personal attack on you or something that we didn't "jump to" and implement it immediately.

If you'd care to check the thread again, you'd see that Shev responded to it yesterday that he'll look into it.

Btw, taking potshots at us like your post here did isn't a good way to either be taken seriously, or listened to. It just annoys us, since we're doing this for free, have never charged, etc, yet have to deal with people bitching about something like missing 1 post out of 100s.

I know you guys have probably spent just as much time as we have here, but for you it isn't a personal thing, your own work or effort being put down by someone bitching that their pet idea wasn't immediately considered.

Not trying to sound bitter, but this petty shit year after year gets on your nerves.

Mask

Woops, I missed the fact that the post in question was over _2_ months old. Oddly enough, after someone bumped it up, Shev posted not 5 hours later, and at 5am. Guess he really didn't care, did he.

[This message has been edited by Mask (edited 12-14-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:20 pm

Actually, being able to cast first and second circle spells without memming would be a nice level 50 reward, if you want to get back on the topic of how to make level 50 more appealing.

Oh, the unbalancing nature of infinite magic missiles and create foods!

- Ragorn
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:37 pm

Fear the mighty missile.

-Todrael
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:11 pm

Rausrh stands protectivly in front of Mask.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:02 pm

Just my $0.014...
I was just reading the 3e rules (Ya ya ya, I know the whole "Based on AD&D thing is beaten to death") but Read Magic is a spell that can be memorized w/out needing it in a book because of the many years spent studying the spell...
I'm all for the idea!

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:13 pm

Actually, at least in 2nd edition, you could mem that spell without a book because you needed to cast it in order to read the book in the first place! Image

Sarvis
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:45 am

Mask and Cyric, it wasn't a flame.. I was basically saying that there are plenty of good ideas out there that are nice but aren't the highest priority. Basically, I was saying that retark's idea was good, but not likely to be worked on.. just like my idea from 2 months ago. Hence the language about seeing what happens to nifty ideas "that aren't very important"

As for my idea in the thread, it was bumped after my post here by a third party (check the dates and times), and shev posted about it.. which was nice of him.

Frankly I think you two are acting overly defensive here. When I flame the gods, which i admit i do from time to time.. its for a better reason than this. I usually wait for some sort of self righteous "we know better then you" type of post before I say something..

Corth
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Dec 16, 2001 10:56 am

Retark:

Possible? Sure.

Will it happen? Not anytime soon. I'm not sure the time investment is worht the realtively small annoyance of death memming...those lowlevel spells mem pretty fast as is. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Nifty idea..

Corth </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to give myself credit.. but I get a kick out of the fact that this post directly resulted in the priority command being implemented. It was even worth getting ripped on by the gods for it. Image

Azenilsee gets credit though for actually going to the other thread and bumping it up. I guess this goes to show that sometimes the bbs does make a difference in how the game is played...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 12-07-2002).]
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:00 am

I hope I have a decent idea in that just dumping the book period (yes I know you need it in AD&D, but Sojourn _isn't_ AD&D Image ) Anyway, clerics DO NOT need a book, their god grants the spells or whatever. I think it'd be a new avenue to PAY *woot, a use for platinum* the god/goddess the mage would attribute this power in receiving. So, I could sacrifice x plat (relative to spell level) for my god, say Shev, in order to not have it in my book(s). Then in doing so, maybe even go so far as from having each god giving a special/unique innate power, such as innate invisibility, or innate levitation..etc. It'd give a reason to have money, and it'd add new dynamics. Having a book(s) in inventory sucks, since clerics can just pray their spells back and mages must cr normally (or get pissed memming in the INN w/backup) ...just a lot simplier IMHO. Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”