Undead Tier

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Undead Tier

Postby Yayaril » Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:48 am

10th circle is kind of thin for necromancers, so here's my suggestion:

Animate Bodak

This spell will function like animate ghast, transforming a level 50 or higher corpse into a solid warrior type undead creature. The bodak would be like the ghast, except would have the level limit of 45 instead of 35 like a ghast. This would allow a high level necromancer to control one ghost and one bodak.

Other necromancer ideas: Vampiric touch should be spellcast necromancy, and it should be absorbed by globe.

------------------
-Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>Other necromancer ideas: Vampiric touch should be spellcast necromancy, and it should be absorbed by globe.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on the first part, but I have to say that the second would constitute a substantial nerf to certain mobs, and require rebalancing of some zones.

------------------
Xisiqomelir OOC: 'Human girls are for eating '
Chandigar group-says 'FS: Full body armor, ac5, -5 hit -5 dam, prot mori'
Nekler group-says 'do NOT rescue mori. he is to die this trip :P'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:13 am

I only want the spell to be absorbed by the globe, not innate vampiric ability of mobs like vampiric wargs. It's silly that a 6th circle spell can hop right through globe.

On a similar note, earthquake should be absorbed by globe, too.

------------------
-Yayaril
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:28 am

Earthquake isn't a project or emission of any sort of arcane energy, it's a physical convulsion of the ground. How do you absorb it with globe?

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:05 am

Well, it's a convulsion of rock which is triggered by magic. Presumably, some sort of magical energy would infuse the stratum and cause it to buckle and heave. If globe blocked this magical energy, it would halt the tremors.

If it's an earthquake caused because you went and stood on a fault line, then no, globe shouldn't absorb it Image
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B>Earthquake isn't a project or emission of any sort of arcane energy, it's a physical convulsion of the ground. How do you absorb it with globe?

This is true- but then again, by that mentality, how would globe absorb anything? How would globe absorb a fireball- it's just using magic to create fire and fling the fire at your foe. Your foe only gets hit by the fire, not the actual magic.

How would globe absorb cone of cold- the magic summons up the cold and then flings it at your foe, the cold is hitting the foe and not the magic.

How would globe absorb earth darts? They're just pieces of rock flung at your enemy.

Extend this mentality and globe can't absorb diddly.

------------------
-Yayaril
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B> This is true- but then again, by that mentality, how would globe absorb anything? How would globe absorb a fireball- it's just using magic to create fire and fling the fire at your foe. Your foe only gets hit by the fire, not the actual magic.

How would globe absorb cone of cold- the magic summons up the cold and then flings it at your foe, the cold is hitting the foe and not the magic.

How would globe absorb earth darts? They're just pieces of rock flung at your enemy.

Extend this mentality and globe can't absorb diddly.

Think of it as conjuration vs alteration. With earthquake you're altering the form of the earth via shockwaves. The spell is the shockwave, the earth moving is the side effect. With fireball or cone of cold, the spell SUMMONS the magical fire/cold... therefore the globe will stop it.

In theory if you globed the earth, the earthquake wouldn't affect it :P

oh and animate bodak, two thumbs up

[This message has been edited by Chandigar2 (edited 11-20-2002).]
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:19 pm

<B>10th circle is kind of thin for necromancers, so here's my suggestion:

Animate Bodak

This spell will function like animate ghast, transforming a level 50 or higher corpse into a solid warrior type undead creature. The bodak would be like the ghast, except would have the level limit of 45 instead of 35 like a ghast. This would allow a high level necromancer to control one ghost and one bodak.

If not 10th, perhaps replace animate spectre with it? Not sure how many people actively use spectres for much of anything. I know I don't.

------------------
Arilin Nydelahar, Keeper of the Hand.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:35 am

Spectres are pretty useless. If they had permanent invisibility like they used to, then they might make decent tanks against foes who can't see invisible things. As is, they only get about 300 hitpoints, which won't last long in a fight against anything you want to get experience from.

------------------
-Yayaril
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:27 am

Bodak just sounds like such a cool name it must be implemented!?

I like the idea tho Image

why do we keep arguing about the nature of earthquakes?!?Q!?! hehe

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:11 am

Or how about this one:

Flesh Golem

This spell binds together all the corpses in the room into one monstrous golem made of their flesh. The creature is stalwart and hardy, but due to the power of the magic, unstable. Despite preserving the corpses, the golem will crumble within 5 minutes of animation. You need at least 150 levels of corpses to create the golem, and if you use more than 150 levels, it gains additional hitpoints depending on how many additional corpses you use.

------------------
-Yayaril
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarell:
<B>why do we keep arguing about the nature of earthquakes?!?Q!?! hehe

Because I'm waiting for someone to try and globe the earth and test my theory Image
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:07 am

Bumping mightily. I still think spectres kinda sorta blow. :P

------------------
Arilin Nydelahar, Keeper of the Hand.
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:48 am

Oooh flesh golem, I vote for that one, sounds fun.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:38 am

Oh oh! And upgrade iron golem, and fire golem too! Wait, this isn't Diablo II, i am at the wrong board! Image

------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:32 pm

spectres suck completely. they don't hit hard enough so they don't vamp, their ac blows. using 2 wraiths is more effective b/c they can cast heal and just blow up the mob faster.

------------------
Nokie group-says 'what a rip-off, I spend months incapacitating navy seamen and doing 28,000 bandages and now we get tons of practice here in bronze citadel'
grimella
Sojourner

Postby grimella » Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:47 pm

OOF!

After soloing my way to 36th I was really l ooking forward to spectres to help me through the next few levels. Spectres were really disappointing. Ghast's bash, vamp etc - spectres just get clobbered!

I'm all for bodaks or something replacing them as a tanking undead. yah!

Other than that I am truly impressed with necros - the funnest class.

Grimella/Grunelda

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”