Like wall of swords, blade barrier, fire wall, ice wall, and the likes from D&D

What they will do be casted on the room
either to one direction or to all exits

Purpose The spell will damage anyone walking into or getting out of the room
that the spell has been casted.

Reason will help the mobs, and the players

How ok imagen walking into a room with a
nasty wall of fire in the way, you will get
all burned out, or going into a barrier full of blades get me.

How does it help mobs and players, simple
I seen how everyone plays and i notice hmm
this is a bit of disavantage for the mob
all hitters and vokers attacking and healers are outside memming more heals, getting no damage, i think thatsa bit unfair for the mob. This way everyone that mems outiside will recieved some type of damage going in and out of room.
Also it can be used by players for example I seen how they make the mob run into places, luring is called well the player casting a wall of ice, and them a fire elemental comes in and it gets hurt. Yes i also the possibilities of been over used, like casting 10 firewall in different places and make the mob going from one room to another chasing the caster, but that can always be helped, just like embodyments, can only be casted once per group, or something like that.

I don't know this are my 2c

------------------
Galem Healer and doctor.
Cilan master of disguise
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:23 am

Interesting perspective... that the mobs are at a disadvantage because they can't mem out.

Many of these mobs were put in the game when:

a) there was a 30 second penalty each time you memd.

b) casters had much less spell damage capabilities

c) casters did not have the priority command.

I'm not saying the above changes are bad. For the most part they are a good thing. Without the above changes, meming out as a matter of course is not an option. You didnt see much meming out during big fights on toril for the obvious reason that it wasn't worth it. It goes to show how players have obtained a significant advantage over the mobs.. or at least, why fights that used to be very difficult are now considered a lot easier.

Something like Galem's idea would serve to balance the inequalities between the melee and casting classes. It would create a cost for meming out. I wouldn't make it a spell, however. Rather, I would suggest that area writers consider putting something like this into their areas as a proc.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:56 am

Interesting idea. Much better than the way it was applied on Basternae where the walls would block mobs and players alike from passage completely unless the spell was dispelled.

[This message has been edited by Jaznolg (edited 12-27-2002).]
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:12 am

walls of force were great when we needed to trap the other side racewar, but i see it soooooo out of balance for our mud Image

blast from the past ..

Exits -north -west -east -south
(Magic) (Illuminating) A powerful wall of force prevents anyone from passing the north exit.
(Magic) (Illuminating) A powerful wall of force prevents anyone from passing the south exit.
(Magic) (Illuminating) A powerful wall of force prevents anyone from passing the east exit.
(Magic) (Illuminating) A powerful wall of force prevents anyone from passing the west exit.
(Magic) (Illuminating) A powerful wall of force prevents anyone from passing the up exit.

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:25 am

A short duration and a long casting time could help this spell to be twink proof. Of course the obvious class for it, enchanter, has timestop so make sure it is an offense spell that break timestop. Great idea tho! Perhaps have the spell pop after a number of contacts like stone, would take more contacts by PCs than NPCs.

I can picture putting two rogues at opposite ends of an an area and a mage in between, and making the mob run back and forth through the flaming wall. Kosti on the roof of brimirs anyone? What would be a good way to stop this from happening? Perhaps make the damage from the wall very low 50-100 so that it does effect player significantly but using it to twink (strategically) take out a mob would be harder than just getting 15 people to smash it (but still an enjoyable escapade).

Oh, where are traps?!?! *grins*

------------------
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:52 pm

very high twinkability.
i have two questions

1) how long would it last?
2) stackable spell? (like u cast 4 wall of fire one direction and mob will have to go throgh 4 wall of fire)

for mages, we can just dim into battle so it most likely won't affect mages too much. maybe up the risk coz of dim lag.

for priest types, yeah its gunna suck :P

dat spell would cause lot more casualty if used properly by mobs.
Scenario:
Moritheil leading some zone. After spellup, group charge in. Things don't go right way.

Moritheil group-says 'all out! all out! flee'
flee
You flee eastward.
You run into Wall of Swords.
OUCH! OUCH!
With a final blow, you feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
You lose a level!
Your vitality drains away.
gsay Vitality out
You feel chilly.
Your surroundings warm up.
Static cling rears its ugly head again.
You feel less base.
What IS that smell?

*** Welcome to Sojourn ***

0) Leave Faerun for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Sojourn.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

of course, you can get blinked out, dim out, or summon out if theer is time but i think when shit goes bad. its gunna be like above where heavily wounded characters will run into wall and die trying to get away hhee.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:30 pm

I kinda like Corth's suggestion as using it as a special proc in some areas. That way for certain big fights the big mob can say 'HaHaHa, you can try to flee, but you'll be bathed in fire!' and a firewall goes up at the room exits.

If it was accesable to PCs, I don't really see it having much impact on mobs, due to their high hps. On the other hand if too many mobs can do this, its gonna rip through groups.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:33 pm

Had the idea to "trap" exits and place damage walls up when fights were engaged for a while...

Just haven't found any place where it works good...code is all ready when an area maker wants it.

Good ideas guys, keep them coming :)

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:38 am

I've noticed a trend...

When someone comes up with an idea that helps PCs kill mobs, gargamel hates it

When someone comes up with an idea that helps mobs kill PCs it's already been implemented, or it'll be in tomorrow Image

I'm j/k garg Image but you sure do love to kill PCs!!
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:52 am

fire giant scouts anyone?

This is a great spell against them pests! Image

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:00 am

Not a real big surprise Selias, I despise you all and wish you much death.

Duh.

Gargauth - HATER OF ALL THINGS MORTAL

-G :)

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”