Healing skill instead of Bandage

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Galem
Sojourner

Healing skill instead of Bandage

Postby Galem » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:20 pm

Since this mud is D&D based, I haven't seen the skill bandage but I a healing skill sounds better.

I was thinking a healing skill with some changes than the skill bandage that is currently in play.

The skill will require a healing kit, just like the disguise skill. The kit will have uses because bonds, band-aid and antibiotics run out.

I was thinking something like the healing skill for D&D that it can be used anytime. Of course with some minor changes otherwise it will be abused. Something like it will lag for 2 to 3 game hours, because you need to tend the wounds. Second it can only be used for others, not for self. Why not for self, because you can't tell the severity of your own wounds. In order to limited a bit, it can be used like everquest a bit, can't heal others past 1/2 of natural hps, not total hps. This will benefit more the tanks, why the tanks, because tanks can't solo as ez as casters. With the healing skill at least 2 tanks can solo a bit more.

How much will it heal, well it will depend can be based on wisdom and skill lvl, can heal 1/2 or 1/4 based skill, modified by wisdom of the user. Or another way that can be used will be increasing the regen rate, like lets say everyone gets troll regen for that moment, and trolls will get an even faster regen.

Also at higher healing skill lvl, there is a chance to remove weak poison, just like the healing skill on D&D.

I don't know this can be so twink for tanks, but it can be limited as twice per day, or every 24 hours, just like lay hands or assassinate. Also can place cap limits for certain clases, and races. Like a barb warrior will have a higher cap limit than a troll warrior, because a troll regens much faster, will not have the need to use healing skill as often, but will needed for others.

Don't know this is just another Galem idea

My 2c

------------------
Galem Healer and doctor.
Cilan master of disguise
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:02 pm

How about you can use the healing skill to accelerate people's healing rates who are resting or sleeping? You can sit there and 'tend' to the wounded and then they heal faster. When you stop tending to them, they stop gaining the healing bonus, and any action stops you from tending to them, so it's like meditate.

------------------
-Yayaril
Galem
Sojourner

Postby Galem » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:07 pm

Yeah that idea sounds good too, but how much hps we talking about, can't be max hps, like i posted only 1/2 natural hps, not total hps

------------------
Galem Healer and doctor.
Cilan master of disguise
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:14 pm

My suggestion is just to increase healing rate. So you type in 'heal Galem' and while Galem is prone and in the same room with you, his healing rate is increased. If you then type in anything else or if Galem gets up, it cancels your 'tending of Galem' and then you'd have to type in 'heal galem' again, like meditating works now. As your skill notches, you increase your targets regeneration rate more and more.

------------------
-Yayaril
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:33 pm

ok yea lets make it so that we can increase our own healing and totaly negate the use of that bard son and meke them less disireble...even less so than rangers...
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:55 am

You can't be serious, Amolol? For one, rangers aren't useless. For two, this change would far from make bards useless. No more than having detect invisibility potions in the game make mages useless.

------------------
-Yayaril
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:07 am

rangers are mostly usless...at least in my account..and i play one...secongd it would make bards more usless...think about it what reason would there be to have a bard if your healing was already increased
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:25 am

Reasons to have a bard if this healing idea is implemented:

1. To heal faster. The healing from the skill and the song would stack. Thus making downtime even less.
2. Mem faster with songs.
3. Cast faster and harder with songs.
4. Travel faster with songs.
5. Pick locks.
6. Extra hitting damage.
7. Group haste!
8. Stronger defense with songs.
9. Reduce mob's defense/offense/ability to cast.
10. Most importantly- because the bard is your friend and/or you think that person is kewl.

------------------
-Yayaril
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:31 am

Oh yeah- I also forgot one very important difference: This skill would only help reduce downtime- bards can use their healing song while in combat to help against things like dragonbreath and areas, which is far superior.

------------------
-Yayaril
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amolol:
rangers are mostly usless...at least in my account..and i play one...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, and not wanting to flame, but play one well and rangers are an xcellent class.

Sylvos Winteraven
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:56 pm

bandage is the heal skills base check
used to stop bleeding dc 15
long term use of heal skill from the user to the victim over a long period of time can regen something like the chars lvl x 2 worth of hp over a full day if the victim does nothing, etc etc

basicaly
it works great for our uses,... well it would if it worked correctly Image

------------------
MoM-D
Originally posted by Baikalisan:
There once was a girl named Pinky
Who liked to flash and get kinky
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
And made us all squirm like a slinky!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:39 pm

See my suggestion for making bandage skill useful in this thread too! Image

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000950.html
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amolol:
rangers are mostly usless...at least in my account..and i play one...secongd it would make bards more usless...think about it what reason would there be to have a bard if your healing was already increased</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the problem isn't so much that rangers suck, the problem is that tons of people play rangers expecting an insanely powerful character with nothing more than autoassist and collect triggers. i can think of a handful of players who make rangers very welcome in my groups.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:57 pm

"Sadly, and not wanting to flame, but play one well and rangers are an xcellent class."

I think that there's a big difference between being a good class and being a good player. I've seen someone do amazing things with a bard BEFORE all the changes to the class went in but that didn't make the class itself an excellent class. Figuring out where the line between player and avatar is can be one of the more annoying aspects of analyzing game balance.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”