Search Idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Gavry
Sojourner

Search Idea

Postby Gavry » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:25 pm

Got a little idea for search which I think would help a lot.

Make a message like:

You have found everything you can in this area.

Or something simular when you have finnished searching an area. When your searching for an object that is hidden and pops in a number of different places across the world its a real pain.

If an items invis and hidden and you don't have DI then you should also get the same message.

Gavry -Old Bastard- Excidium Umbra
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:51 am

Yea, I proposed this a while back. Nothing came of it.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:15 pm

veto

makes it too easy on less intelligent races

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:30 pm

Oh really. Maybe you would like to spend 10 minutes searching out a hidden door?
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:12 pm

Might be a good idea to make search kind of like a skill, a level 50 person searching probably knows there's something there so they shouldn't have to search as long or have as long a lag as say a level 20.

------------------
No matter how hard you try, you still can't throw a potatoe chip very far.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:05 pm

I'd rather just see the chance to find somehing on search doubled or tripled over what it is now.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:09 am

someone also mentioned that if you KNOW an item is there you can search it by name ... ? what ya think?

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
Oh really. Maybe you would like to spend 10 minutes searching out a hidden door?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Cherzra you got it wrong....I personally enjoy trying to help plvl someone and keep having to say..."Could you search this door to SSC for me." Nothing like impressing the lower levels with my searching skills!

------------------
Meatshield
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:49 am

Search should be an all class skill.

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:09 pm

Isn't that the price of working so hard to get your str/agi/dex/con rolls so high? If those are all high then your int is probably pretty low, and there has to be some kind of penalty for low int, doesn't there? And before you ask if I want to search x number of times to find a door, let me say again that I rolled a high int along with my primary stats, just for the purpose of exploring. I took the knocks on my other stats so that I wouldn't have to search 10 times to find that door.

I know you hate searching, but I hated getting hit so often when I rolled up a little caster alt with bad agi. I rerolled and took the crappy dex, I can live with not hitting a lot more than I can with getting hit so much. The real problem is that you don't want to have to do things you don't want to do, and if you have to do them you want to spend as little time as possible doing them.

Perhaps the doors which have to be used constantly in the game can be looked at again? The way out of the rogue's guild in halfling town doesn't have to be hidden, and making a noob search to get out of that place really isn't helping anybody. Maybe some of the other doors which are traveled through frequently don't have to be hidden, either? Or maybe the difficulty of finding them is set too high and could be checked?

Which doors are used so frequently that for them to be hidden is kind of silly? I understand the SSC door, it's a hideout you know, although the degree of difficulty to find it might be set too high.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:42 pm

If you have found a door before, and the zone repops, you should always find the door on your first attempt. You already found it 10 minutes ago, i mean, seriously. I dont like the idea of a message that tells you there is nothing to search out in a room, only because it also tells you when there IS something to search out in a room, so the item isn't really hidden cuz you know its there. But doors are different. You search an area, you found the door. You KNOW that door is there, because you found it. Just because the zone popped doesn't mean you suddenly forget the door you just found. This seems like something rather trivial that would take a good deal of coding to accomplish though, so i wouldn't count on it being changed because the minor annoyance to the player isn't really enough to warrant the major coding that would be required to fix it. Shev has better things to work on, like ACC for alts Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Gavry
Sojourner

Postby Gavry » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:29 pm

I'm not arguing that search should be easier, if it still takes me 25 searches to find a door etc, so be it. I'd just like to see a message stating that you have finnished searching an area after some time.

Example:

20 x search

7th - find a hidden door.
17th - There is nothing left to search here.

That way you at least know there is nothing else there and you can stop searching and look in another room.

Gavry

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:15 pm

Hey the mud is too hard. I want all the eq loaded on my newbie, who of course should have all his skills maxed out, and i want all the spells and skills in the game. Oh yeah, and the gods should walk me thru EACH zone and explain ALL the secrets room by room.
Seriously. Im a troll with 84 int and 45 wisdom. I usually search things out within five tries. Hell, I often beat the drow for some reason, probably cuz of my superior typing speed. I couldn't possibly complain about search being too hard, and im pretty sure only ogres are dumber than me. SO why are you? Also, the idea about searching is that you DONT know if things are hidden or not. With such a message, you would somehow get a magical feeling that the room was empty of secrets, and you could easily go thru every room in a zone being 100% sure that you have figured everything out. Even the most intelligent of creatures should have a chance of missing a SECRET, and heres the main point...WITHOUT KNOWING THEY MISSED IT! Otherwise, its not really a secret, is it?
Btw, if you are searching and failing repeatedly, try typing save or walking in and out of the room, it seems to help me.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>If you have found a door before, and the zone repops, you should always find the door on your first attempt. You already found it 10 minutes ago, i mean, seriously. I dont like the idea of a message that tells you there is nothing to search out in a room, only because it also tells you when there IS something to search out in a room, so the item isn't really hidden cuz you know its there. But doors are different. You search an area, you found the door. You KNOW that door is there, because you found it. Just because the zone popped doesn't mean you suddenly forget the door you just found. This seems like something rather trivial that would take a good deal of coding to accomplish though, so i wouldn't count on it being changed because the minor annoyance to the player isn't really enough to warrant the major coding that would be required to fix it. Shev has better things to work on, like ACC for alts Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kinda have the image of an ogre here (also winnie the pooh)...

"Um, didn't I know there is a door here? Um, I swear it was here a minute ago. Maybe it was in the other room with the light in it. Oh, wait the light is following me. Must run away from magic dwarven light! Oh, I am carrying the light. Bother."

"now what was I looking for?"

"Oh right a light!"

looks in pack for torch. Finds a torch. moves to next room.

Begins to ponder why he has a torch in both hands.

Some characters are just too dumb to remember things and when they do remember they are too stupid to apply that knowledge.

[This message has been edited by old depok (edited 01-09-2003).]

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:25 am

If you are looking for something in a room at home, how do you know you have looked EVERYWHERE and that its not there? You could have missed something. It could be under something you didn't notice before...

Doesn't seem to make much logical sense to just get this feeling of "There ain't nothin more here!" other than the one you get when you give up searching on your own :)

-G

------------------

Gargauth the Outcast
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by old depok:
<B> I kinda have the image of an ogre here (also winnie the pooh)...

"Um, didn't I know there is a door here? Um, I swear it was here a minute ago. Maybe it was in the other room with the light in it. Oh, wait the light is following me. Must run away from magic dwarven light! Oh, I am carrying the light. Bother."

"now what was I looking for?"

"Oh right a light!"

looks in pack for torch. Finds a torch. moves to next room.

Begins to ponder why he has a torch in both hands.

Some characters are just too dumb to remember things and when they do remember they are too stupid to apply that knowledge.

[This message has been edited by old depok (edited 01-09-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a joke? Cuz you must be kidding. If you wanna play the realist than ill go ahead and do so : The ogre doesnt need to search out the door, he would just punch through the wall and make his own door.

Searching for items is very different than searching for a door. But if you expect me to believe that my character, or any character, is so stupid that they cant remember where the door that they SEARCHED for repeatedly was, then i have to say that they are also too stupid to hold a sword without stabbing themselves in the face. Repeatedly.

Didn't i know there was a door here? I searched for it a minute ago, i remember i looked right over here and....AHA! Theres the door! first try!

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:57 pm

No Thanuk, he was obviously quite serious in his depiction of Winnie-the-Pooh as an ogre. I don't see how he could get much more serious than that...

::cough::

Anyway, by your pattern of logic then the mobs we kill would stay dead, so wave goodbye to ship experience after all. You might not forget the door you searched out yesterday, but why in the world would you go back today to kill all the people you already killed yesterday?

It's a game, though, and sometimes there are strange rules in games, especially games that rely on computer code. Or Monopoly house rules, there are definitely some strange rules there. That's why the doors used most often (such as guild entrances/exits) should not be hidden without a good reason.
Klandal
Sojourner

Postby Klandal » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:40 pm

SEARCH (door/idol/heavy/secret) etc

If you know what you are looking for specifically maybe give it a 50% better chance to find it? Think somebody was pointing toward this earlier.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>
Anyway, by your pattern of logic then the mobs we kill would stay dead, so wave goodbye to ship experience after all. You might not forget the door you searched out yesterday, but why in the world would you go back today to kill all the people you already killed yesterday?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im still waiting to hear the negative part of this...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:42 pm

Mabye the knowledge that 100 searches will find everything? Eg. if it was coded so that no. 100 search found something, and no. 200 search found something else, then persistant people could just search 100 times. If they didn't find anything (even as an ogre with 2 int) then there was nothing to find. (Or they forgot DI).

/Disoputlip

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”