Target or Area spell choice

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Yarash
Sojourner

Target or Area spell choice

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:23 am

Tonight I had what I thought was a cool idea:

Many spells shoot out multiple destructive missiles: magic missile, sticks to snakes, earth darts, minute meteor, force missiles, etc. I was thinking it would be cool if the caster could choose to send all of the missiles at one target, or spread them out over an area. For example, magic missile could have the potential of hitting five targets in a room with one missile each. Force missiles could hit up to three targets with one missile.

The caster could type in something like this:
cast 'force' (target) area
Which would use it as an area spell. No extra argument would result in normal, targetted use.

An explanation in role playing terms would be as follows. Targetting, the mage points his finger at something and five missiles shoot out at it. Areaing, he starts firing but waves his hand in an arch, shooting them out in a curve.

Anyways, to make it clear if it wasn't, this would just be a choice of how the spell is cast. In no way would it do additional damage.

Let me know what you all think.

- Mike

[This message has been edited by Yarash (edited 12-24-2002).]
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:36 pm

although cool idea and keeping with true dnd/fr

i think it would be next to imposible to code work with

cas 'force missle' mage 2.mage 3.mage

suck to cast let alone code Image

------------------
MoM-D
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:11 pm

It could work like area spells do now, and hit random targets (the way 'out of area' currently works).. ie mm would hit 5 random targets in the room.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:13 pm

I'd imagine it would be either:

c 'magic missile' room
or
c 'magic missile' target

Not too bad.

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:19 pm

would defeat the purpose of target

------------------
MoM-D
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>would defeat the purpose of target

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the purpose of target? To hit a single target with a larger dose of damage than an area spell of the same level would? I don't think this purpose would be defeated.

------------------
-Yayaril
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>i think it would be next to imposible to code work with

suck to cast let alone code Image

The coders would figure this out and do it how they want, but I was thinking something like the following:

Option A) The first missile hits the first mob in the room. The second missile hits the second mob in the room. The third missile hits the third mob in the room. Etc. If there are more missiles than mobs, it could either stop at the end, or go back to the top of the list and continue. If I was deciding, I would have it stop at the end, as this is more along the lines of waving your hand in an arch motion while shooting forth missiles.
Option B) As Chandigar mentioned, it could just hit random targets.

<B>cas 'force missle' mage 2.mage 3.mage)

I used a poor choice of words in my post. What I meant to say was, it could either be targetted at a single mob, or be used as an area spell and be sent at multiple untargetted mobs. Ideally it would be coded so that typing "cast 'magic' mob" would work as it does now, but if you typed in an additional parameter it would become an area spell.

You would be sending forth the same number of missiles, just choosing how they are dispersed.

- Mike
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:25 pm

I have observed that in role playing terms, such spells act as area spells when cast on mirror images. One missile is sent at each mirror image.

- Mike
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:46 pm

Could really cheese illusionist mobs with that. Just area with magic missiles a few times. Poof, no mirrors.

------------------
-Arilin Nydelahar
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:28 pm

Arilin- as is, it's a good strategy to fire off 2 sets of magic missiles at an illusionist mob to nuke all its mirror images. How does this idea to make it work like an area change that strategy?

------------------
-Yayaril
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:30 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the real benefit of this suggested change? Maybe against Illusionist mobs, but that's about it. Unlike the days when you could kick cleric mobs into the heal loop it's generally best to make sure a mob falls faster instead of ensuring "some" damage is done to all mobs.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:02 pm

this is a cool idea.

What about the reverse, having all the rays of a prism hit one target?

------------------
Toarn group-says 'my lvl 50 buffer has officially been Mori-fied.'
Shevarash tells you 'you want to mud marry me? *scratch*'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”