New RP-Quest Reward Information!

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Karae
Sojourner

Postby Karae » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:50 pm

Tanks for the info, that was really helpful.

Was just wondering, cause griffons are my style, but I don't know what else I would like to ride. So i'll look into it, but I won't start rp'n till later on, till i get some stuff done.

and I just forgot about flankblock proc.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed May 05, 2004 4:33 am

One of the things I always noticed in RL that was different then MUDs, when you create a character in RL, you can specify your characters appearance like height and weight - within the racial limits with most DM's.

So as for RP rewards, would the following be possible rewards?

Would a possible RP reward be having your characters height/weight changed SLIGHTLY? (Like making them a foot taller/shorter, nothing that would change any game mechanics or allow them to act like a different race mind you - just something to allow the actual character to be more in tune with the players mental image.

-=-=-=-=-

Would a possible RP reward be having your characters alignment changed? (A lot of us are locked into alignments because of race.)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 05, 2004 12:17 pm

Now there's an idea... if we played a necro to 50, wrote a story, and swore to RP full-tilt with it, could we get it changed to Baelnorn?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu May 06, 2004 10:12 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Now there's an idea... if we played a necro to 50, wrote a story, and swore to RP full-tilt with it, could we get it changed to Baelnorn?

What's a baelnorn?
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu May 06, 2004 10:15 pm

A baelnorn is an elven mage who was so committed to a task in life that they willingly turned their back on Arvandor, in order to take on undeath to continue their sworn task.

In essence, a good elven lich.

Both your questions are being discussed, and we'll get back to you. :)
Sservis
Sojourner

Postby Sservis » Sat May 08, 2004 10:32 am

Sesexe wrote:Would a possible RP reward be having your characters height/weight changed SLIGHTLY? (Like making them a foot taller/shorter, nothing that would change any game mechanics or allow them to act like a different race mind you - just something to allow the actual character to be more in tune with the players mental image.

RP changes do occur that change the game play. An orc word-ing to Viperstongue [imagine a yuan wording/repoping there] or barkskin boots [50ac (artifact) boots are pretty tasty] are both RP rewards that modify the gameplay.

Any height/weight change would affect the bashing code, but game play changes seem to be acceptable RP rewards, just a question of "price" not "possibility"
Gura ASSOC:: 'man im such a prick'
Gura ASSOC:: 'but im so good at it'
Gura ASSOC:: 'especially when im right'

Shar responds to your petition with 'do what we do. just stop listning to gura :P'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sat May 08, 2004 2:13 pm

There are no 50 ac boots in the name. Nor are there any artifact boots.

Yes there is a pair of boots that can proc barkskin upon the wearer. Barkskin neither grants 50 ac, nor does it qualify as an artifact power. There are potions within the game, obtainable by anybody, that replicate this effect.

These boots qualify as a unique item. Unique is not synonymous with artifact; they are of similar frequency but of power comparable to a level 10 enchanter against a level 50.
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Sat May 08, 2004 3:47 pm

Roleplay affects other elements of the game as well. We haven't heard any complaints yet about the Selunite priestess being unavailable on the Spirit Raven because she'd been rescued. Why? There have been some murmurs about Bloodstone having been destroyed, although very few. Why?

Possibly what matters the most to those outside the campaign and other roleplay sessions is appearance and perceived convenience. That fits nicely with the protestations about restrings being granted through extensive roleplay participation with the RP-Quest sphere. A low-level character might complain about the inavailability of the high level spells or high level gear borne by the better players, and would be as right in his assessment as the complaints about a hometown reset without any knowledge of the price.

Unfortunately, those who have been participating in our events have not registered any complaint about others' rewards, and the only ones who've been disgruntled are those who have not participated. Perhaps if those who have struggled in character to accomplish tasks and obtain information and otherwise pursue in-character interests over a great deal of time, before finally receiving any sort of benefit, were similarly concerned, the power of the rewards would be shown to be too high.

Just as you would not expect to find an ebony-bladed longsword, belt of steel fangs, and a barbed demonhide eyepatch on the ground on every repop, the rewards we give are tailored to the efforts given us. And just as you would not appreciate a true novice complaining that your zoning groups get gear that's too good, your comments about what is overpowered for the effort expended is lacking in experience.

You are welcome to participate and learn from within about the time, equipment and efforts required to earn these rewards. It is true that I've not been pleased with the concerted efforts to hinder ours, but I promise you that while I might grumble for a time, on this side of the screen, I will appreciate watching your character grow and will strive to enhance your enjoyment of the process.
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Sat May 08, 2004 5:28 pm

Auril wrote:Roleplay affects other elements of the game as well. We haven't heard any complaints yet about the Selunite priestess being unavailable on the Spirit Raven because she'd been rescued. Why? There have been some murmurs about Bloodstone having been destroyed, although very few. Why?

Why? Because the second we make those complaints, we immediately get attacked by the staff. Or have posts deleted. So we've just given up and do our best to ignore it. Bloodstone should be returned to it's old state until the new Bloodstone is to be added. Orcus was over a year ago, and I'm sure was great fun for people, but in game years.. what, 100 years has now passed? I'm sure that it could have been rebuilt by now. And as for the priestess.. well, making ship even less an exp option compared to DS is not really a surprise, or a big deal. BUT, I just hope it wasn't the evil groups on ship that ended up rescuing her...

Auril wrote:A low-level character might complain about the inavailability of the high level spells or high level gear borne by the better players, and would be as right in his assessment as the complaints about a hometown reset without any knowledge of the price.

Rofl, the price. I paid attention to that little RP session. It took 6 evils, about 2 hours, taking a caravan to VT. Afterwards, the aforementioned shaman got the huge reward. He had participated in few RP sessions before, he had written no stories for the BBS. When I talked to him later, even HE admitted that it was an incredibly powerful change that he got for very little work.

So maybe if I lead a caravan to DK from hyssk, all the mighty yuan-ti clerics I know can word there? Lord knows it's a lot more dangerous leading one from hyssk to anywhere, than HP to VT..

And Eili, what are you Yayaril? I think we should start up the old Unique vs. Artifact argument again! Though not in this thread.

P.S. Procs = stats!
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Sat May 08, 2004 5:33 pm

ROLEPLAY RP

The RP toggle is purely how your character will act. Having it on will
tell other players that you are role playing and to act accordingly. You
receive no benefits or bonuses from it (besides fun), it is all how you
play it.

Note: You cannot have both RP and AFK toggled at the same
time.

See Also: "INFO ROLEPLAY", TOGGLE

This is your helpfile. This is your RP sphere out of control. Any questions?
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Mon May 10, 2004 4:14 pm

Several of you will be pleased with this news. I am locking this thread. As a bonus, as promised once before, I will also be deleting any further vitrioloc, baseless threads from this forum.

Seriously, it doesn't seem to make an impact whenever we reassure people that everything we give out is with the approval of at least one and usually two or three Forgers. Too many people would rather attack us and our system for reward points than seriously address the issue. That being the case, you are welcome to discuss with the Forgers if you have an issue, and hopefully you will be capable of hearing when the same words I've used comes from them.

There have been some interesting ideas posted in this thread. We continue to welcome feedback, and request mmail to either Auril or Eilistraee for this purpose.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon May 10, 2004 11:04 pm

Gura, that helpfile is obviously out of date...I don't see what that has to do with anything. The RP sphere isn't "out of control", they're acting completely within the guidelines set by the Forgers of this MUD. If you have a problem with those guidelines you can feel free to express them...but stop being an ass and spare us from having to read any more snarky crap like your last post. It doesn't help.

TorilMUD does reward gameplay-affecting rewards for roleplaying, and has since its inception, this is not a secret. There are strict guidelines and an approval process to ensure that none of these rewards are overly powerful, and are only marginally affect gameplay. Boots that can barkskin once a game-week are not an artifact. They quite obviously aren't going to have any affect on the power of a 50th level character who could just as easily get that affect by purchasing potions or harassing a ranger at 1w. What it REALLY amounts to in this case is "style" - something unique that makes that character stand out - which is a perfectly acceptable reward for roleplaying.

That said, this system for rewards is new, and there are bound to be some problems with it. The Forgers and the RPQ sphere are aware of this and dedicated to ensuring the system works in a fair and balanced way. You may feel free to point out any perceived problems you see, but please do so without the abovementioned vitriol and/or snarkiness. Also, it's always a good idea to get your facts straight before screaming about the sky falling...

One last note, here's an example of an actual artifact:

Code: Select all

You complete your spell...
You feel informed:
Object 'rod relic resurrection holy amaukekel', Item type: WEAPON
Item can be worn on:  HOLD
Item will give you following abilities:  FARSEE DET-INVIS INFRA PR-FIRE DET-EVIL
 DET-GOOD PR-COLD PR-LIGHT PR-GAS PR-ACID
Item is: GLOW MAGIC NODROP BLESS FLOAT NOBURN NOLOCATE NOSUMMON LIT NOBITS
Weight: 1, Value: 100000
Damage Dice is '5D4'
Sex Allowed:     All
Classes Allowed: Cleric
Races Allowed:   All
Called Effects:  (invoked by 'say'ing them)
           'sunlit path to paradise'  Creates a dimentional gate. 1/month
           'give life to'             Free rssurrection.          1/day
           'wrath of light'           A sunray of fire.           1/hour
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”