Monoliths #5e: An Interview with Lord P

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Gurns
Sojourner

Monoliths #5e: An Interview with Lord P

Postby Gurns » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:53 am

I found Lord Piergeiron at the docks. I knew a part of his routine, he never missed his morning chat with Kalara. And 10:00 a.m. wasn’t too early for me to be awake.

He paused at the dock entrance, looked around, and declared “God, I love this city. No where else in the world can you find such splendor!”

Which seemed like the perfect opening.

I said, loudly, “Then why don’t you stop these incursions? These drow and worg and others coming into the city? Attacking citizens, trying to destroy Waterdeep!”

He’s a paladin, he won’t smite me just for being rude. And he won’t let his guards do it. If he can see them. Remind me to be careful in Waterdeep, for the next month or two.

He stared at me. I wasn’t impressed. I’ve been stared at by Kang, by Lord E, by Nilan. Lord P’s stare just isn’t nasty enough.

He rumbled at me, “You are insolent. Bard.” I had to admire the nice touch. “Bard.” As if he didn’t know me. Everyone in Waterdeep knows me!

“I only ask aloud what many of your people are thinking. Or muttering to their friends. Or complaining about, in inn and tavern,” I said.

He stared at me some more. No, that won’t make me go away, Lord P. I said, “Perhaps if you explained your actions. Your lack of action. Perhaps then, your citizens would not complain in dark corners.”

He snorted. “Ha! And if I made sure this ‘explanation’ is widely known. By telling it, say, to some bard. Is that what you are suggesting?”

Always a pleasure to deal with someone who understands these things. “Exactly, Lord Piergeiron. You have a tale that needs telling, and I get a tale to tell.”

He nodded, decisively. “Very well. Bard. Come with me, as I make my rounds.”

He strode off. I hastened to catch up.

He glanced at me, from the corner of his eye. “Ask your questions, bard.”

I’d rather he talked, he was more likely to let something slip that way. But…

“Why do you let the drow raiders, the worg, the other monsters into Waterdeep, Lord Piergeiron?”

“I do not ‘let’ them into the city, bard. And to anticipate your next question, the city guards do not ‘let’ them in, either.”

Hmm. Letting me know he knew what was going on, was he?

“Many are getting in. Why isn’t the guard stopping them?”

“The city guard is stopping them. In the last year, the guard has stopped as many of these incursions as usual, and more.”

“Then why are there more invaders entering the city?”

He didn’t sneer, not really, just looked down at me from his greater height. “Obviously, the number of attempted incursions has increased greatly.”

“Why are there more attempted incursions?”

His mouth tightened slightly. “You would have to ask your drow friends that question. Bard.”

Ah ha, he did recognize me.

“Why haven’t you, or your guards, done anything more to stop these incursions?”

“Your premise is incorrect, bard. More is being done.”

“Such as…?”

He glanced at me, dismissively. “Obviously, for reasons of security, I cannot provide any details.”

Well, he is a paladin, so I suppose if he says more is being done, we can trust that it is.

“If more is being done, why isn’t anything more obvious being done?”

“What would you have me do, bard? What would you, with your vast knowledge of defending a city and her people, suggest?”

Trying to put me on the defensive, is he?

“Surely a paladin of your expertise would know better than I. But you could hire more guards, have more patrols on the street, search for suspicious characters, and seal the city more tightly. Or at least you could show some obvious concern and interest in the problem, rather than ignoring the raiders, even when their corpses are dropped at your feet!”

He looked at me consideringly. “Yes, I do know better than you. I do not do those things you suggest, because they are unnecessary or wrong-headed. Look about you!”

I looked about. Waterdeep as usual. So?

He made his point. “The city is in fine shape. It is full of people, full of commerce, bustling with activity. These incursions are a nuisance, but no more than that. Were I to seal the city, or post guards at every corner, or search high and low, then that would be far worse. Worse for Waterdeep, and worse for her people. Commerce and activity would slow, and people would feel trapped and confined.”

“Yes, bard, I am concerned with this problem, as I am concerned with all of Waterdeep’s problems. But suppose I were to give priority to this little problem? Suppose I were to be shocked by every raider, appalled by every worg? On the one hand, that would give too much credence, too much import to these raiders. It would only encourage them. On the other, it would cause my Waterdhavians to fear. ‘Even Lord Piergeiron is worried’, they would say.”

“No!” he boomed. “There is nothing to fear! Waterdeep is strong, and this nuisance will not distract us from our lives, our families, our business. So I set the good example. I will follow my routine, walking the city, locking and unlocking the gates. By this, you will know I am here, and that the city is safe! I’ll not let them disrupt me, nor change the way I live my life, nor drive me from my city with their mischief. Nor should any Waterdhavian!”

“That is all, bard,” he said, and waved me away.
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:43 am

Feh. Yer more of an idiot than I was thinkin' half-breed if'n yer to be takin' Lord Pirogie's word fer anything more n' a goblins piece o copper.
King Artikerus Blindhammer
---------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'I have no opinion, keeps me out of trouble.'
Malar responds to your petition with 'you die more than a morigroup'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'please go away :P'
Rillifane responds to your petition with 'be the nance.... you are the nance... you are one with the nance...'
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:05 pm

Clan Blindhammer wrote:Feh. Yer more of an idiot than I was thinkin' half-breed if'n yer to be takin' Lord Pirogie's word fer anything more n' a goblins piece o copper.

Let me see... On the one hand, a paladin. On the other, a duergar follower of Vergadain. The first sworn to Honor, even if he is a little more, hrm, subtle than most paladins. The second, a sly and sneaky plotter and "merchant".
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:20 pm

Yer point? We all should be knowin' the truth o' any follower is only the truth o' that parti-cu-lar god 'e be followin'. If'n that weren't true we'd all be driders or females accordin' to that eight-legged freaky man-witch lolth.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”