Monoliths #5u: Some "Found" Documents

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Gurns
Sojourner

Monoliths #5u: Some "Found" Documents

Postby Gurns » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:53 am

From the diary of Ragefast, Mage and Scholar:

They simply burst into my room, my private study! Not a polite knock, not even a warning of any sort! I rose and almost obliterated them with a mighty spell, but then I recognized the leader. It was that grugach ranger Llandrien. Manners of any sort from a wild elf – a hopeless wish. Worse than orcs, they are, even worse than some trolls. And they have the gall to sneer at humans!

He was accompanied by some… Half-elf by the features, bard by the instruments. I reviewed a mental list. It must be Gurns, the other half-breed bards would all have better things to do than wander around with a grugach.

Llandrien tipped his hat at me. Now he remembers some civilized manners. Or not. That little swagger, that twinkle in his eye, surely he's mocking me. The insults I must bear!

Still. I am a learned mage, and he but a grugach ranger. I am always polite, even to such provocative inferiors. So I but said, "Oh, it's you again."

The ranger said, "You're still here?"

The fool. What a surprise, I'm here in my own study! I wouldn't go to his forest, and say, "Oh look, trees!" But again, restraint. Manners. I merely said, "It is my study."

The bard spoke up, addressing the ranger. "And you brought me." Ah, the minstrel had seen what the fool had not. Or the fool had been mocking me again, because he chuckled.

It was odd for a grugach to leave the woods, though. Odder for him to come to the middle of a city. "What brings you back to my study? Another lost book?"

The last time I had seen him… Well, I could forgive him much, because of that. I had found an extraordinary extradimensional library, full of rare and unusual tomes. Remarkable. I hadn't been able to access it since, but I had hopes of finding it again. And the ranger had instigated that. Of course, I had done all the real work, but without him, I might not have made the search.

"I was hoping to ask your help, though not about a book this time," he said.

Of course he was asking for my help. Far too much to expect he had come to thank me for my earlier assistance. Which had been wasted. Far too much to expect a social visit. No, he had a problem and wanted me to solve it for him.

He danced about the topic, of course. What elf takes a direct path when he can take an indirect one? "Am I to take it that you are fairly knowledgeable about the happenings in the world at large lately?"

You fool, I'm no wild elf, hiding in the woods. "I would be a poor sage if I didn't pay attention to travelers' tales. I've even heard this one's songs." I indicated the bard.

Who smirked at me and said, "And are the better for it, I'm sure!"

A weak wit. As expected. I had heard his songs, after all.

Llandrien finally approached the point, and said, "I found an interesting bauble, and I am curious if anything can be done with it." He showed me an emerald, or more precisely, a piece of an emerald. If it had been faceted in any of the usual fashions, it would have been a truly massive gem, originally.

Interesting, interesting. I told him, "Something can always be done with such a gemstone, it depends on what you're seeking. Where did you come upon it?"

"An unusual golem was constructed to hold the Vile One as a mortal shell," he declared. "It seems that part of this gem was used in its construction, and this fragment is the remains of it. What I am wondering, is there any way that the part of the gem we have could be used as a weapon to destroy the shell or its owner."

He should still have better manners, but I had to agree that a possible weapon against Auzorm'tvorl – why these fools don't use his name, I'll never understand – was reason enough to bother me. He showed little understanding of the complexities involved. But he was smart enough to come to me with his questions.

First, a necessary condition, though. "What leads you to believe that your gemstone there has been integrated into this construct?"

He answered, "The kobold that made it said so, and we don't think he as any reason to lie."

Even so, there were still difficulties. Difficulties beyond his conception. "Certainly something can be done if your piece is indeed integrated into this construct. But it would not be easy, if the construct is being infused with a god's essence."

He prattled on about some nonsense. I had to stop him, to tell him, "Due to the Law of Contagion, which states that one part of the whole can be used to affect the rest of the whole, you have a link to the original regardless of distance."

He said, "So, at least in theory, any spell cast on the part we have affects the part we do not?"

Well, well, well, a grasp of the basics. At last. Perhaps he would comprehend the complication. "In theory, certainly. In order for the magic to carry through to affect an essence of a god however, I would suggest you require the mightiest magic available to mortals."

The next question was obvious, so he asked it. "Who might be able, and willing to do that?"

"To my knowledge, there is only one such capable. Queen Amlaruil is the only remaining mortal who can cast the High Magic." An elf should have known such, but allowances must be made.

"I had wondered about that," he said. Ha! It was unlikely he wondered about anything! But leave it be, leave it be.

Then he rambled on with some nonsense about using the gem to scry for the golem. Fool! I tried to point this out to him. "If I penetrate the shielding shroud, the enemy will know you have such a means. Your advantage of having such a link to the construct may be lost. You are a ranger, you should know the value of a surprise."

He snapped off some insulting remark. A bit touchy about surprises, was he? Of course, I magnanimously ignored the insult.

But he still wanted to use it. He really was a fool! "I think our foes have had it too easy so far, for my part I would rather they know they have a chink in their armor, at least if it is one they cannot close."

The bard surprised me with a little glimmer of intelligence. He asked, "How do you know they can't close it, if they become aware of it?"

Exactly! Just what I had been saying all along! The ranger finally listened. Hit him on the head with an idea often enough, and it may sink in.

After a great deal more prattling, the ranger finally determined he would go talk to his Queen about the matter. An obvious next step. Obvious, long ago. At least they finally got out of my study!

The Daily Events of Her Majesty's Court, as recorded by the Scribe Tomtansaomeras

. . . .

And later on this day did also Her Most Gracious Majesty bid the grugach ranger Llandrien Brightwater and the half-elven bard Gurns, Bearer of the Amulet of Oberon, into her August Presence.

And the ranger did bow and present his obeisances. And lo, the bard did kneel before Her Majesty, that which he had not done before.

And the ranger spoke humbly, saying, "Your Majesty, I believe I bring one who has been a long time in coming to You."

And the bard stood and bowed and said, in the voice that had been heard in this Court before, "A little of two of us, I believe." And again the bard spoke, and this time his voice sang with the purest of Tel'Quessir accents, saying, "Lady! You have realized the promise spoken of, when You were but young."

Her Majesty the Queen bade them welcome, and addressing the bard, declared, "It seems you bring a lost warrior with you."

The bard, duly appreciative of this generous welcome, thanked Her profusely, and added, "Or he brings me." He bowed, more gracefully and politely than he had before. Then spoke he again, saying, "We are both here, at times."

Then again did his voice sing clear and true, and he did say, "Lady, I must know, for I can feel her near. Tahlshara is intact?"

And Her Majesty the Queen did smile and address the bard, saying, "Yes, Iradydrai. She awaits the time to sing again."

Then did Her Majesty whisper words of great and subtle power, and the shimmering moonblade Tahlshara did appear in Her hands. And She did hold her, there in the Court.

Her Majesty the Queen, turning to the ranger, inquired, "How progresses your seeking, Llandrien?"

But the ranger began with but little to report, saying, "Somewhat awkwardly, but determined."

Then did the bard, most boldly and confidently, reach out and touch the moonblade Tahlshara! And lo, she did not punish him, but gleamed brightly at the touch!

Then did the bard, a look of horror and consternation on his face, snatch his hand away from Tahlshara. And the bard could be heard to whisper, to no one but to the air itself, "Don't do that!"

Nor did Her Majesty the Queen punish the presumptuous half-breed, but she did smile at him, saying, "Tahlshara will not harm her First, minstrel."

And the minstrel was most abashed, and properly fearful, and did say, "No doubt that is correct, Your Majesty. But I am not he."

And now could the ranger continue with his report, and he did so, saying, "The human mage, Tida, has discovered much about the construction of the host and how to destroy it. The information is vague, but somewhat helpful."

And Her Majesty did inquire perceptively and carefully of the ranger, asking, "Will you be able to use the information this human wizard has learned?"

But the ranger could not answer Her Majesty's sage question, and so could but reply, "I do not know, Majesty, but I hope. What she has learned is vague."

Then did the bard say, again in pure voice and accent, "It has been so long since we danced, I long for it again. I have longed for it for so many years." But then the muddy tones of the mainland tinted his voice, and he did say, "You have waited so long, wait a bit longer, please."

And then did the ranger continue his report, and did speak of that vile defiler, the abominable Tel'gothrim assassin, saying "The drow assassin is often conjuring up wild theories and distracting the scattered allies we have, but he has sworn an oath to You. By swearing the oath, he acknowledges Your Justice. Whatever else he does, he has assured Your Honor remains intact. That is enough, I think, though I imagine he does not realize what he has done quite yet."

And Her Majesty the Queen had already heard of this oath, but dismissed it, saying, "The dark elf's vow is of little consequence, though it would be a welcome pest removed from our side if he honors it."

And then did the minstrel speak again, most boldly questioning Her Majesty, saying, "Would that not depend on the outcome of a trial, Your Majesty?"

But Her Majesty the Queen did forbear to take offense, and did most graciously answer, "It would indeed, Gurns. And We would not convict one before he has a chance to defend his actions."

Then was the minstrel most properly abashed, and did bow before her deeply, saying most humbly, "All know of the honor of the Tel'Quessir."

Then did the ranger speak again, saying, "I think I have found a weakness that You may be able to exploit against our enemy, Your Majesty."

But Her Majesty had most carefully listened to the ranger, and recalled the ranger's earlier words, and spoke, asking, "What is this weakness you speak of? I thought the information was hazy and indistinct?"

And then did the ranger speak more precisely, saying, "I said the human's information is indistinct, I may have found something more concrete."

While the ranger was speaking, the minstrel did look longingly at the moonblade, and reached a hand slightly forward, but then did stop his hand from moving. And then did the minstrel put his hands behind his back, and grasped one in another, firmly.

And Her Majesty the Queen did smile sadly, and did speak, saying, "I am sorry, Iradydrai. The time will come again, and you shall be reunited. But to set your companion's mind at ease, I shall let her rest again."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen whisper other words of great and subtle power, and the shimmering moonblade Tahlshara did slowly vanish.

And the minstrel did look relieved but also did he look saddened. And the minstrel did say, "Thank you, Your Majesty." And in clear and pure tones, the minstrel did say, "I understand. Soon, we shall sing again."

The ranger Llandrien did produce an emerald, and displaying it for all to see, he spoke, saying, "This is the remains of an emerald called the Twilight Raven. Aside from its size, there is nothing remarkable about it. However, the rest of it has been incorporated into the Vile One's shell."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen show surprise, and great interest, and did seize gladly on this new information, saying, "A piece of his host? That is remarkable, it could be a tremendous tool."

And the ranger explained further, saying, "The mage I spoke to about it seemed to think that you alone would wield the power necessary to exploit it."

And Her Majesty the Queen did inquire further, asking, "Why is that? Who is this mage?"

And the ranger did declare, "One Ragefast, of Baldur's Gate. He seemed to believe you were the lone mortal with the ability to wield High Magic."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen nod, as the ranger did unfold the full details, and she did confirm the mage's belief, saying, "That is true."

Then did Her Majesty press the ranger for further detail, asking, "Did he say why the High Magic was required for this? Drawing upon it is never done lightly. The last time was for the creation of the mythal over Myth Drannor."

And the ranger did reply, "He did not think anything less could harm the essence of the Vile One."

And the Court was silent, as Her Majesty the Queen did sit in Her throne, thinking grave thoughts.

Then did Her Majesty Amlaruil, Queen of the Tel'Quessir, declare, "The High Magic has been fading from the land, it is why We are loathe to use it. But for such a battle, it would be foolish to be miserly with such an asset."

And the ranger did acknowledge Her, and said, "We will rely on Your wisdom, Majesty."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen inform the ranger of Her powers in this matter, saying, "The best We could hope to do through such a link is impede the construct's abilities that the gemstone enables. We cannot destroy it, not unless the entirety were made of your emerald. But when you ride to the battle, We will make certain that anything that the gemstone provides to the construct is diverted and impeded."

The ranger did bow, and did present the emerald, fragment of what had been, to Her Majesty the Queen. And he did say, with some regret, "The history of that emerald is dear to me. Should it and I survive this conflict I would dearly love to have it back."

Then did the minstrel speak, again in voice and accent clear and pure, saying, "Lady! The fallen await upon the battlefield, as did I. If Tahlshara is all that remains, the others must be brought back so their bonded weapons can be brought to bear!"

And then the minstrel did speak in his own voice, and did say, "What?" And he did lift the amulet and peer at it.

And Her Majesty the Queen, in commanding tones, did speak, saying, "How do you mean, Iradydrai? The rest of the warriors?"

And the minstrel did nod his head, and did seem both defiant and ashamed, and did clearly say, "Yes, such was our task, Lady, that we could not rest with the failure to finish it. I have learned through my time in Oberon's relic, that no others can be forged. You must bring the spirits, their weapons are bonded to them, as Tahlshara was to me."

Her Majesty the Queen seized quickly on this, and did cannily inquire, "The bond persists even through death?"

And the minstrel did nod again, and speak, with some longing, to say, "Even now, when I am so forward in this one's body, I could call to her and she would answer. I know that now."

But then the minstrel did object, and argue with himself, almost shouting in his usual voice, "But Tahlshara exists! The other weapons are destroyed, gone!"

Then did he glance up at Her Majesty the Queen, and beg humbly for her pardon for his outburst.

But then did he speak again, and again in a pure voice, saying, "Their bonds remain! The ceremony that bonded us to our weapons and us to our task was stronger than mere death."

And Her Majesty the Queen did watch and listen, intent upon this strange conversation.

The ranger then did speak, to name a fact he knew, saying, "I do not think they are entirely gone. Zhoanest spoke of Arex's blade in the present tense."

And the minstrel, himself, did reply, saying, " Aye, and Noloth'e informed us of the spirit of Avernus. Arex's spirit wields Avernus' spirit, still. How does that help? We cannot battle a god with spirit blades!"

And then did the minstrel reply to his own objection, his voice proud and strong, saying, "I am no wizard, I do not know. But you must learn, Tahlshara may not be enough to fell Him."

And then did the minstrel seem to nod at himself.

Then did the ranger speak, supporting the plan, saying, "As Iradydrai says, then, we must return to the site of the battle and raise them. Or perhaps, bind them to Lirela's weavings... If the spirits were given bodies, even shared ones, perhaps their weapons would find form again."

Again the minstrel spoke, clearly, saying, "We all have our weapons, save me! Tahlshara survived, but the others were as bound to the task as their wielders. They cannot be destroyed, any more than we could pass beyond. I long for Arvandor, but it has been denied to me."

And the ranger did speak boldly, saying, "Then I think that answers that question. When the spirits are bound to their amulets, and their hosts, the weapons they wielded in life will be bound as well."

And the minstrel did frown, and did speak dismissively, saying, "A spirit weapon."

And the ranger did look at the minstrel, and spoke calmly, saying, "We are fighting a ghost, what's so hard to believe about a spirit weapon?"

And the minstrel did speak with scorn and fear, saying, "We are fighting a god, not a ghost."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen speak, subtly reproving the minstrel, and did declare, "I do not understand either, but there seems hope that Tahlshara need not be the only weapon capable of defeating the foe."

And the minstrel did bow low before her.

The ranger did embrace Her wisdom, and did declare, "It is clear the weapons still exist in some fashion, I think the rest will become clear when it must."

And Her Majesty the Queen did smile fondly on him, saying, "Fatalism is a common trait of rangers. Zaor was quite prone to it as well."

And the ranger did bow before Her, graciously thanking Her, saying, "In that case, I think fatalism is something to be proud of, Majesty."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen bid them farewell, and did do them the great honor of creating a magical elfgate, there in Her Court, to speed them on their journeys.

Then did the ranger and the minstrel both bow low, and make their farewells, and the ranger did enter the elfgate.

And the minstrel did lift the amulet, and did whisper to it, saying, "We take our leave of the Queen." Then did he bow again, more gracefully and proudly than ever before. And he did speak, most nobly, saying, "Lady, I am ready to finish my task. At your command."

Then did Her Majesty the Queen smile at the minstrel, and speak fondly to him, and proudly, saying, "You shall see Arvandor, Iradydrai." And She nodded at him, and spoke again, saying, "Bear him well, Gurns, until the time is right."

And the minstrel did bow once more, and did enter the elfgate.

Then Her Majesty the Queen did turn to…

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”