Of Alliances.... (Part I)

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Nilan
Sojourner

Of Alliances.... (Part I)

Postby Nilan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:28 am

Nilan confidently strode through the darkened woods just north of his city of Dobluth Kyor. He had been traveling for days on the surface lands to the far north, and his homeland was a most welcomed change. The great surface city of the Drow, enshrouded by the thick branches of tall trees provided the assassin’s crimson eyes with a much needed shield from the ever blinding glare of the bright red ball in the sky. Animals and birds flitted through the trees barely taking note of the silent drow’s footsteps as he approached. Still, the assassin took note of them and his surrounding as was ingrained in him and all of his kin at a very young age. Failure to learn that lesson meant you did not live long in the lands of the drow.

Nilan sighed and leaned heavily against the nearest tree, a rather tall one with a thick trunk. His right hand never seemed to leave the hilt of the blade known as, Shadow, which hung loosely in its scabbard at his side. Thinking back, Nilan recalled how far he had come. No longer a slave within his own house, a house since destroyed centuries ago in the caverns of Menzoberranzan. He had come to the surface, to the lands where his kin once walked, to the lands he vowed to see them walk again. And he had found Faith. Casting aside the chaotic ways of the Spider Queen, the assassin had embraced the Shadows. The choices he had made, the oaths, the promises, none of which he had any regrets. To Vhaeraun, he had freely given his heart, his hand, his very soul. “I am His,” he whispered as he closed his eyes in meditation.

Hours passed as the drow remained in reverie, deep in thought. A shadowed voice whispered softly, “Come…”. Nilan opened his eyes but saw nothing. No sounds, no footsteps, just a voice uttering a single word. “Come…”. The drow rose to he feet, his keen eyes scanning the area, Shadow vibrating eerily in its leather sheathe, sensing something. Nilan took a step, now moving to the center of a small clearing. Shadows swirled and the assassin watched reverently as a form seemed to appear from them.

Dlavizz Rhe’ Shashal, the High Priest of Vhaeraun, nodded at him and replied, “Come, Hand of Vhaeraun, follow me to someplace quiet and away from prying eyes so that we might…talk.”

Nilan nodded and followed. Though a skilled tracker, the assassin more than once felt he had lost sight of the shadowed High Priest. Each time he had felt so, he was assured by a nod and the words, “Come…”. After several moments had passed, the assassin stopped as the shadows began to dissipate somewhat revealing the form of Dlavizz Rhe’ Shashal. Nilan bowed in respect to the High Priest and to Vhaeraun, as it was through Dlavizz that Vhaeraun spoke. After whispering an offering of prayer, the assassin touched his black mask and gazed up into the eyes of Vhaeraun’s High Priest.

“You have summoned my, Lord?” he asked, his expression stoic and reverent.

Dlavizz held the assassin’s gaze looking him over before responding, “You have the seal?”

Nilan nodded and began searching his pack, removing a black velvet pouch. Placing his hand inside he slowly removed an obsidian seal. For a moment he gazed at it, admiring the symbol of a mask, the symbol of Vhaeraun. His ebon fingers ran gently over the fine groves. Looking up he nodded at the High Priest, extending his hand he offered it to Dlavizz Rhe’ Shashal.

“This seal was given as proof of an alliance between myself and the duergar, Artikerus.”

Nilan nodded and silently recalled how he came into possession of the item. The duergar, Artikerus, had sent his thugs to attack him. Mere nuisances, the assassin was more than capable of dispatching the unfortunate creatures. But on this day, no sooner had he pulled Shadow from the throat of the duergar thug, a portal had opened and Artikerus, flanked by his troll pet Ruxur entered.

Nilan nodded in response to the High Priest and continued, “That is the very seal Artikerus tossed at my feet after he sent his thugs to attack me. He sai..”

Dlavizz raised his hand silencing the assassin. “I have made many alliances with the other races over the past few months.” His eyes narrowed as his cold gaze bore into the assassin standing before him. Using the intricate silent hand language of the drow, Dlavizz continued, “Alliances – not friendships, not partnerships. We must never forget that. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend. Only a fool would think otherwise.”

He paused letting those words sink in before adding, “And now, I would hear what you know, Hand of Vhaeraun…”

Nilan folded his arms before him and nodded. “I bring you information. Much I have gathered in the Night Above, some even from surface elves.” Nilan paused for a moment, the sudden silence and the High Priest’s stern look making him…uncomfortable. But the proud male quickly buried that feeling and added respectfully. “I hope I have not done anything you disapprove.”

Dlavizz grimaced slightly and Nilan wondered if it was indeed a hint of anger that flashed in the High Priest’s eyes. “You do much of which I disapprove, Velg’larn. You always have. Yet, He has chosen you, and unless that changes, we must work together for His greater good.”

“I work only to see that His path is fulfilled,” the assassin replied. “You know this.”

The High Priest merely nodded.

“When last we spoke, I informed you of the Vile One’s growing activity upon the Astral Plane.” Nilan responded. “I have recently ventured there gain and note the growing forces gathering there. Growing in power and number, even as we speak.”

Dlavizz raised an eyebrow and nodded. Nilan watched intently as his hands flashed his reply. “The drake watches regularly, speaks of more forces gathered. They are unorganized, that may play in our favor.”

“Yes, my lord, they indeed appear disorganized at the present.” Nilan nodded in agreement. “I have also learned of god-touched weapons, most importantly an elven moonblade, known as Tahlshara.” His mind raced as he continued, “And of the golem that encases the Vile One and how we might indeed destroy it, and then him.”

Dlavizz raised his hand, slowing the assassin down somewhat. Of all the traits of Vhaeraun one could possess, the Hand of Vhaeraun seemed to posses three, more so than others. Hasty, impatient and impulsive, the assassin could jump from topic to topic, and unless curtailed somewhat, the High Priest knew he would not learn all he had hoped for. Nilan stopped, acknowledging the High Priest, he held his stance without flinching. And yes, there was … pride.

“It is good you seek this knowledge,” Dlavizz signed, “I’ve been busy working with our forces trying to organize them to fight demons and shadows while setting aside their own rivalries.”

Nilan responded, “I have gathered whatever information I can, at whatever the price, for it can be used in furthering His path in the Night Above.”

“Without defeating Azoun’tvorl, there will no longer be a path.”

Nilan couldn’t suppress a shudder that coursed up his spine at hearing those words. He nodded stoically, “Where shall I begin?”

The High Priest signed, “From the beginning…”

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”