Organized & Open RP

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Sesexe
Sojourner

Organized & Open RP

Postby Sesexe » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:59 am

I'd like to have some good feedback from the RP staff , and those players who have participated in RP sessions before/currently (not necessarily staff run) feel about the following 2 ideas:

1) I think the next time I'm involved in an RP event, I'd like to try something a little diferently. I've noticed that in RL sessions, players state out of character what their character intends to do, and the group discusses it brieflly between eachother. This allows a party to use combined tactics of RP against the NPCs, and provides more unity and organization between everyone.

When players don't communicate between eachother on the mud, and just do whatever they want as soon as they want, it's like being in a session where everyone just passes notes to the DM about what they are going to do. Which is typically not as exciting or fun because of the chaotic nature of it.

Therefor, the next RP session I'm involved in with a group, I'm going to try this. How, yo uask? Well.. I'd like to see those involved state what their character is going to do in gsay BEFORE they do it. So the party can get organized and really lead to some terrific RP moments with the NPCS. I'd suggest that whoever is the current group leader, help keep things organized, and ask around about what everyone else wants to do, and then we can roll with it.

Know what I mean? I just think we could really spin our RP's off eachother, and let others in on what we are doing as we do them.

2) Another aspect I'd like to do is emotes that show intent more then anything, for the sake of the staff members and other non-grouped players to understand. And have these emotes show one action at a time. For example, instead of just emoting "emote stabs you in the head and steals your gold." which can't really happen cuz we can't attack or steal from eachother, we could attempt it instead. So the emote could be "emote wields his dagger with blinding speed in an attempt to impale the ogre chief in the head!"

If the other player/staffNPC was so inclined, they might allow it to happen and RP the response:
"The ogre chief is taken by surprise and falls to the ground with a thud!"
Or maybe not
"The ogre chief notices your lunge, and quickly parrys your attack with his axe blade. He snorts angerly and says,..."

It's RP that opens up the possibilities on where the direction of the RP can go to. Also by limiting the amount of actions to one in an emote, you keep giving the other person a chance to respond to it.

This type of RP handling can open up the abilities of each player. You can do almost anything this way, even socials or actions that aren't coded into the mud. Perhaps the cleric tries to pick someone's pocket? See what I'm getting at?

I'd like to try this type of RP handling. Does this sound interesting to anyone else? Tell me what you all think, and please keep it on target. Thanks!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:07 am

Another thought I had was RP pacing.

That is, each side gets a turn. Ok the mobs have responded, now it's the parties turn, and with more organized RP, some really spectacular things could come about if either sides gets a chance to decide and think about what they are going to do before they do it.

This is RP afterall, it doesn't have to be instantaneous like zoning is.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:13 pm

well it definately sounds interesting ;) but i must say that I already use emotes for several socials that aren't hard coded. that and I came up with a few to replace what is hard coded :)
example: cough.. if you use what's hard coded is says something about you get stuff all over everyone around..
I"ve set my zmud up so if i type cough this is what goes to the mud...
emote gently cough's into her fist. ahem.
which is what i was trying to do, when i learned what cough does the hard way ;)
don't get me wrong, I don't have a whole list of emotes in my zmud.. I mainly do them as i go.. but cough is one I put into zmud.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:23 pm

There is a couple of problems with your first suggestion:

1) It assumes that everyone works toward the same goal and by the same means. Any subtle methods are severely hampered by explaining them to the entire group.

2) Life is not turn based. People think and act independantly. It's my opinion that if you were to discuss every person's action in comittee before doing anything would actually diminish the RP experience over all by making it look scripted.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:42 am

Cirath wrote:There is a couple of problems with your first suggestion:

1) It assumes that everyone works toward the same goal and by the same means. Any subtle methods are severely hampered by explaining them to the entire group.

2) Life is not turn based. People think and act independantly. It's my opinion that if you were to discuss every person's action in comittee before doing anything would actually diminish the RP experience over all by making it look scripted.

That's all that I can think of at the moment.

1) I dissagree. It's just organizing the actions that are going on, so that there is some pacing to allow everyone OR anyone to have a chance to react, and to give the staff slightly more time to react to situations and dialogue as well. Remember, even with all the aliases in the world, the staff still sometimes has to come up with stuff on the fly. Why not allow them a little more time to do so?

2) We're talking about RP in a game. RP that started and was founded between people in the real world, not over a modem on the internet. If you want to talk about real life, well in real life everyone doesn't spam the DM with what their characer(s) are doing instantaneously at any second.
No. Instead it's more like this:
DMsays "The so and so lord of the land acusses you have kidnapping his daughter and calls for the guards." and then asks "Ok what are you guys going to do?"
Warrior player "I'm going going to sheath my sword and kneel before him and say "My Lord, we trust in your wise judgement, but if you are to so hastily judge us before we can explain ourselves, then what fairness will this depict to your noble subjects?"
Thief player says "I'm going to throw my dagger at the lord's head!"
Ranger player says "Oh crap not again, um, I'm going to stop the thief before he can attack, and let him know the warrior is the son of a friend of the Lord, and we might not have to fight by whispering in his ear."
Half-orc barbarian player says "My character starts to go berserk."
Elf mage player says "I'm with the warrior, I'm going to cast sleep on the barbarian."

Etc etc.
Not all the players here are working for eachother. Some are for themselves, rightly so, but giving pacing to the RP on the mud, gives EVERYONE time to react to the situations - not just the staff to us, and us to them, but us to eachother. It's BECAUSE we don't always work together there needs to be pacing.

What if recently Nilan had gsaid "I'm going to remove the priestess's gag and ask her name."

Maybe someone else would have stopped him, or done an emote quickly afterwards to replace the gag before she could speak, and she wouldn't have worded? Maybe someone else would have killed her then and there? Possibilities are opened between players.

What if some troll had gsaid "My character is in a rage towards this person, and I'm going to kill them right now!"

Then maybe everyone ELSES RP wouldn't have been tossed out the window when the entire group was suddenly thrown into combat with the NPC.

See what I mean? There isn't pacing or organization now, which limits everyone's actions. I'd like for there to be pacing and organization.

One person's RP should NOT dictate an entire groups or the result of an RP encounter. Or else RP should be one on one person oriented with never a group involvement or design to it. People have complained about the RP-elite hogging all the glory and RP in encounters. Well if there is pacing, everyone gets an equal chance to react and contribute, and you don't have to be the best RP'r in the world to keep up.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:37 pm

(Post moved to its regular spot after bbs time of posting messup bug)
Last edited by Nilan on Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:42 pm

Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:50 pm

Sesexe wrote:One person's RP should NOT dictate an entire groups or the result of an RP encounter.

I disagree. Sometimes one person's actions should dictate the result, for good or bad. First, that's the way things sometimes work -- in RL, in stories, even in zoning (well, the first times through a zone, anyway). More importantly, that's one of the reasons RP is fun and challenging: there are times when one person can make a huge difference. It doesn't happen every RP event, or even most of the RP events I've been in, but knowing that it's a possibility is exciting. And challenging, to see if I'm quick enough to spot that opportunity, and take advantage of it, if there is one.

Sesexe wrote:I've noticed that in RL sessions, players state out of character what their character intends to do, and the group discusses it brieflly between each other. ... players don't communicate between each other on the mud, and just do whatever they want as soon as they want...

Eh? On the mud, I do that within RP. So if someone is doing something I don't understand, I try to figure it out, and react appropriately in my RP. Or if I can't figure it out, I might ask, IC, what they're doing. Or I might decide that, IC, I don't care what they're trying to do, and make things move my way. But that's (almost) always a decision I reach conciously, not RL me ignoring the situation.

My feeling is that's the whole point of being IC. The point is to work together in character. Not to work together out of character, behind the scenes, and then pronounce the result.

Sesexe wrote:Well.. I'd like to see those involved state what their character is going to do in gsay BEFORE they do it. So the party can get organized and really lead to some terrific RP moments with the NPCS.

Ah, there's a difference. I don't RP to only RP with the NPCs. Auril and Eili are great, sure, but I'm also RPing with the PCs that are around. Building some sort of IC relationship with other PCs, that persists outside of RP events. Most god-mobs aren't around all that long, or that much, but PCs are. So, yeah, I'm interested in doing the RP event, and having that be successful. But I'm also interested in continuing, changing, expanding the IC relationships I have with other PCs.

Sesexe wrote:..emotes that show intent ...And have these emotes show one action at a time. For example, instead of just emoting "emote stabs you in the head and steals your gold." which can't really happen cuz we can't attack or steal from eachother, we could attempt it instead.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying to see something like "X stabs you in the back!" when (a) that can't happen, and (b) I can't respond in any reasonable way -- I can't fight back, and I can't die. (No, that particular scenario has never happened, but I've seen things similar to it.)

Using emotes is great, and necessary for RP. But trying to force someone to do something, using emotes? Dumb -- what if they decide not to follow along? And bad RP.

Sesexe wrote:People have complained about the RP-elite hogging all the glory and RP in encounters. Well if there is pacing, everyone gets an equal chance to react and contribute, and you don't have to be the best RP'r in the world to keep up.

I don't see how doing things behind the scenes helps. If anything, it reduces the number of RP opportunities for most folks. Wouldn't you end up with just the leader speaking to the god-mob? And nobody speaking "out loud" to each other? Rather than, as can happen now, everyone speaking up and deciding what to do, IC?

As for getting a chance to RP, I did one RP event in all of Soj3. So I pretty much started my RP last fall. I know Tida started more recently then that. And now we're both heavily involved. So, you don't have to be the best or most experienced RPer to participate. You do have to keep up with what's going on, and speak up about it, and act accordingly. And maybe think about your character enough to figure out how he or she would say "Excuse me, could you shut up now and let someone else talk for a while?" :)
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:04 pm

Sesexe wrote:1) I dissagree. It's just organizing the actions that are going on, so that there is some pacing to allow everyone OR anyone to have a chance to react, and to give the staff slightly more time to react to situations and dialogue as well. Remember, even with all the aliases in the world, the staff still sometimes has to come up with stuff on the fly. Why not allow them a little more time to do so?

One person's RP should NOT dictate an entire groups or the result of an RP encounter. Or else RP should be one on one person oriented with never a group involvement or design to it. People have complained about the RP-elite hogging all the glory and RP in encounters. Well if there is pacing, everyone gets an equal chance to react and contribute, and you don't have to be the best RP'r in the world to keep up.

As Gurns pointed out, many times in life one person's action does affect the circumstances for an entire group of people. And before you go saying that "this isn't real life" consider that RP is simply living life as a different person. If you want to contridict someone or oppose their actions then you have every oportunity to do so, but just like in life, you have to think and act quickly enough to do so.

Complaining that the "RP-elite" hog all the glory because they can think and act in character more easily than others is like saying a professional baseball player is cheating because he can hit a ball better than you. Some people tend to find their way to the spotlight more easily than others, it is simply a fact of life that that spotlight isn't big enough for everyone.

I am still of the opinion that "pacing" an RP encounter would take much of the flavor and spontinaety out of things. It would bog down the encounters while people sat around waiting for their turn to speak or act. You say that things should be slow, steady and easy to react to for the benefit of the gods that run the event. I say that, while an important part of the event, the gods are still only one part. Much of each event is the PCs interacting with eachother while the gods interject where necisary to facilitate those interactions.

Once again, that's all I can think of at the moment.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:33 am

LOLOLOL. Yeah Gurns, I never saw the ones who say "You shut up and only let me talk" as being "RP Elite." I just saw them as annoyances who think everything is supposed to go their way so they're going to spoil everybody else's fun in order to be the star of the show. If people have consideration in RP groups it all works out... if they don't, well there's a plot twist for you, and an incentive to find an RP reason to tell the posturing gloryhound to get stuffed the next time there's an event. If I were hiring for a position at my company (or in my trading caravan) I wouldn't take everybody who walked through the door... if there's somebody who continually attempts to railroad the RP events then why can't it be taken care of in an RP manner?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:22 am

Yes, just like I'm doing... ;)
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:08 pm

People have been saying I have purposely railroaded events. God that is so far from the truth. I admit i mess things up, but alot of the times its unintentional. In fact sometimes I think the mission was successful only to later learn (usually when i go through my logs with a dictinary or aids) that it wasnt or I failed.

So if i messed up any of your events or your groups , i am sorry.

I only try to help, I try to rp with tons of PC's (goodies and evils) to get them involved. Some tell me they are new to rp but want to try it out so they ask me to rp with them. We have many sessions, and tons are not god sessions, they are merely sessions to help them develope their character and to try to get them up to speed on the campaign. At the same time rp with other pc's also helps me to develope Nilan's character too.

People point to specific sessions, me ungagging the priestess, or others saying i failed at tasks. I know i do not suceed at alot, and sometimes after I realise why certain things got messed up. Im sorry if one of those times I messed something up for you guys. i am too shame for tell you why a few of those times things got messed up. If you like know why send me tell on game i tell you in private.

Again,

Im sorry if i messed things up. I only trying to help and get folks that are unsure bout rp or how its done to get involved if they wish and to help them feel comfortable with their characters.

Nilan

-Hand of Vhaeraun-
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:27 pm

Cirath wrote:As Gurns pointed out, many times in life one person's action does affect the circumstances for an entire group of people. And before you go saying that "this isn't real life" consider that RP is simply living life as a different person. If you want to contridict someone or oppose their actions then you have every oportunity to do so, but just like in life, you have to think and act quickly enough to do so.

Um Cirath, Read what I wrote again. I was pointing out that this DID start in real life. That RP started between people face to face in real life. I also pointed out that in a real life RP session with everyone in the same real life room (yes I mean physically in the same actual room) they don't all talk at the same time to the DM. There is organization to it. D&D at the very core is a paced and organized game. Here there is no organization. It's all real-time chaos where your RP is dictated MORE by the speed of your typing then by your creativity. If the MUD's style of RP was applied to a RL campaign of people in the same room, we'd have it based on how fast you could talk. Does that really sound right?

Also, if you were in a RL campaign/RP session and one guy who talked really fast was always responding before everyone else, and the DM only responded to whoever talked first, HOW LONG would you stay in that campaign? Seriously. I'm sure a person in this situation would start saying to themselves, "Wow I get to roll dice to myself the whole time, bc Joe F'n Motomouth over there responds before anyone else can. Why did the DM invite the rest of us if he's only going to respond to Joe? And Joe's answers and RP isn't grand or anything, he's just fast. Why am I even here? If I'm not fast like Joe, why would the DM want me here? Why would the DM SAY he's catering to ALL these DIFFERENT style of RP'rs when he's not giving any of the other types a chance?! Should this be like a game show where we all have little buzzers to buz in our RP first?"

I do not now nor ever feel that RP should be a race to be first to respond. I feel RP should be a creative and appropriate expression of your character. And as such a person should be given an equal opportunity to express it.

Now read closely, BECAUSE we have to think and act so fast and quickly to keep up with events as they are unfolding arond us (since it is real time after all), RP is not as elaborate or creative AS IT COULD BE. I'm not saying it's NOT creative OR EVEN IMPLYING such. I'm NOT saying OR EVEN IMPLYING that some players here aren't creative. I'm ONLY saying it's not as creative as it could possibly be if RP was given some pacing, and some organization was brought to it.

I only see benefits to giving more people a chance to react AND be given a few more seconds to develop an appropriate and possibly detailed RP response/action they would be happy with.

Cirath wrote:Complaining that the "RP-elite" hog all the glory because they can think and act in character more easily than others is like saying a professional baseball player is cheating because he can hit a ball better than you. Some people tend to find their way to the spotlight more easily than others, it is simply a fact of life that that spotlight isn't big enough for everyone.

Please do not put words in to my mouth like this. That really irritates me. It's no secret to anyone of my past and ongoing contributions to the MUD's RP, the praise I've received, and the rewards I've been given. If I WAS indeed 'complaining' as you put it, about people who do or can do RP as well as in your baseball player analogy thingie, then I'd be 'complaining' about myself. Now, the whole point of my ideas weren't to give MYSELF more RP time, but to allow people OTHER THEN MYSELF more chances to contribute to unfolding RP events - BECAUSE I personally recognize that though not everyone is as quick with being creative with their characters as I am, that they can be as creative given the chance - enough time. I would generously like to give them more chances to contribute to the RP creatively. I want to share in the RP so that we can all be immersed in the wonderful experience of it. I don't want it to be a competition.

Therefor, anyone who felt cut out, overlooked during an RP encounter, or needed more time to respond, by all means look me up. It is my intent to have any RP encounter I am organizing to be more receptive to all involved.

Cirath wrote:I am still of the opinion that "pacing" an RP encounter would take much of the flavor and spontinaety out of things. It would bog down the encounters while people sat around waiting for their turn to speak or act. You say that things should be slow, steady and easy to react to for the benefit of the gods that run the event. I say that, while an important part of the event, the gods are still only one part. Much of each event is the PCs interacting with eachother while the gods interject where necisary to facilitate those interactions.

Why is the RP in such a race? Where is it trying to go? What's wrong with slowing it down and making it more in-depth and creative?

We write these long and elaborate stories on the BBS from time to time, but no RP session is EVER close to being that verbally creative. The stories take the simple events and add a whole lot to them. Why shouldn't RP encounters be slowed down to allow for more creative depth like this? What's wrong with that??

Look at how we RP between each other as players. A lot of times it's almost paced as we wait for the other person to respond to what we've done, but when it's between a group and the staff.. WHAM BLAM the race is on!

I don't want an RP race. I don't want an RP competition. I want an immersive world where everyone gets a chance to contribute and be as creative as they can be, when needed.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:20 pm

I think everyone that wants to should be able to particpate in RP. In my opinion there are no good rp'ers or bad rp'ers. All can RP and should RP if they enjoy it and have fun doing it.

Alot of Rp and campaign info I learned, comes from RP with all the PC's involved. Not necessarily God run characters. Some of the most fun sessions I have had are with PC characters, Teej, Gurns, Lintral, Tida, Axater, Kesena, Llandrien, Deshana, Asrar and Numair (wink), Silvine, Ayra (a nice young deviner), Lahgen, Delmair, Karae, Cirath, Larus, Targsk, Zathep, Kazaromoc, Jaznolg, Turxx, Lirela, Sylvos, Fura, Elisten, Artikerus (feisty dooger king), Iduna,....and countless others.

Togther we meet, talk, investigate leads, followup using rpnews to check on recent happenings then I go talk to those folks involved see what happened, and if we can piece our info togther. Rpnews is a great tool to aid in helping people rp, and it gets ya to try to get to know others involved and to learn info.

I will Rp with all that desire to be involved. I'll meet anyone, anytime to discuss the Vile One, and info and trying to piece it all togther. No , Im not always right, and alot of times Im very wrong. Some info I think I know, turns out to be not so accurate or maybe I missed meanings. And keep in mind there are plenty lil plot twists. But when I meet and talk to other pc's, i find this so helpful. And its very fun.

All should try it.

Nilan

-Hand of Vhaeraun
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Sesexe, you made an example of a table top session, saying that if there were a person among the group that always spoke and acted more quickly than everyone else that there would be no point to other players being there. The problem is that just because someone speaks before you doesn't make everything you have to say invalid.

You mention that in table top gaming that people do not all speak at once, but that is at least partly, if not mostly because the format does not provide a way to sort through everyone's conversations at once. However, mudding does not share that problem, as you can sift through the seperate lines of text without much difficulty.

I am not saying it should be a race, only that those who think and act quickly should be allowed to do so while the slow, methodical people puzzle over things. To force everyone to act at a steady pace is to rob some of the use of a talent. It would be a shame to see us all forced into a mold, especially those of us that don't work well in such situations.

Finally, as for putting words in your mouth, I was simply pointing out how your argument was perceived. If you don't know how others understand your ideas then it is far harder to make a convincing argument.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:17 pm

Sesexe wrote:I do not now nor ever feel that RP should be a race to be first to respond. I feel RP should be a creative and appropriate expression of your character. And as such a person should be given an equal opportunity to express it.

Precisely right. And just as in real life, which RP should mimic with the fantasy element added, Joe Motormouth can be "taken care of." When I go out with friends, I go out with people who make me comfortable and with whom I enjoy myself. When I go out with somebody who makes the whole group uncomfortable, or behaves in ways which cause trouble (like getting too drunk and obnoxious so they eventually get asked to leave wherever we are), I don't have a single problem telling them to chill out or get out. If you have somebody who behaves in a manner which continually drains the fun from the RP, then either use tells to let them know, confront them in a group situation and explain how they're making the whole group uncomfortable, or find an RP way to leave them the hell out of the group next time. Not everybody has to be included all the time.

As for everybody getting the opportunity to creatively express their character... maybe the character is obnoxious and doesn't realize it, much like the player? Sometimes "creatively expressing" their character might mean they're doing precisely what you don't want them to be doing, and precisely what you want this system to prevent. Maybe hogging the conversation is their form of creative expression. Maybe they're brash and reckless? Not every player can be calm, cool and collected all the time, and the same goes for the characters. People make silly mistakes, and if they'd just learn to pace themselves they get over it in time. They can't learn how to do that until they know where they're going wrong, though.

The first time somebody in the group pulled some crap that made them a threat to the whole group's welfare, don't you think that the other members of the group would at least say something? How hard is it to let the group, the DM and the offending player know that you're pulling the character aside and letting them know that if they step out of line like that again, the whole group is going to leave them lying face down in the next gully they find? If they have a problem with emoting in big, earthshaking actions, then just inform them and the DM that they've been relegated to the back of the group and that other members of the group will be keeping a very close watch on them in order to keep them from doing any "lightning fast" maneuvers.

I agree that RP should be your own choice of creative expression, but situations like this tend to sort themselves out once there are consequences for that expressiveness.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:17 pm

Ashiwi wrote: Not every player can be calm, cool and collected all the time, and the same goes for the characters.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that at all. I don't feel everyone's chars should act the same or even similar in RP nature. I'm not commenting on the type of RP someone can portray per say, just if a person or the event is not allowing for all types to express themselves. That's all.

Sometimes during an RP event, I'll find myself doing the majority of talking and emoting, and not everyone else is so involved. And At one point I ended up gsaying if anyone had something they wanted to say or RP emote, because I wasn't sure if I was giving them a chance or not. Just didn't want anyone thinking "Why should I even bother, you're not giving anyone else a chance bish!"

Ya know?
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:52 pm

Dear Admin of BBS Censorship,

If my responses to flame attacks against me are to result in thread deletions, in the interest of fairness could you please remove the poster's initial inflamatory remarks to prevent such warranted responses in the first place?

Thank you.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”