A Question of Languages

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Auril
Staff Member - Quests

A Question of Languages

Postby Auril » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:56 am

For roleplay reasons, people sometimes include some words from their racial language in their conversations, stories, etc. Drow and Tel'Mithrim are some examples.

What do you use, for your racial language source?
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:38 am

I generally use two sources...Dwarves Deep (AD&D FR11 Accessory) has a listing of Dethek runes, common names, etc. Also, Dragon 278 has a pretty good dwarven lexicon of common words.
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:23 am

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:12 pm

drow

Also there are a couple words in the illithad in illeth.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Zathep Barra'Chath
Sojourner

Postby Zathep Barra'Chath » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:50 pm

Azerost (H) NHC: 'I cut my unit trimming yesterday, I hope I didn't get herpies'

Totogimup says 'ok i'm gonna stay out of it, arguing on the mud is like winning the special olympics..even though you win you still a retard'
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:53 pm

anyone ever find anything in duergarish?
kanenan
Sojourner

self taught

Postby kanenan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:05 am

As a speaker of RL 3 languages, I have noted extreme variations in language use, pronunciation, intonation and spelling every 200kms of distance. Slang and other comon verbatim are always different and unique to regions, as with customs. A certain family speaks a certain way either through heritage, education or peers (environment). I dont use anything for a source when i switch to a form of English I 'Elvenate'. I like to type what ever i think may be elvish in sound.. your mood affects intonation, and harshenss of vowels, consanents. i love uniqueness, and have many 'elvish' dialogues with people in which noone used the same spelling. throw your books to the trash. it's you. not the book. besides.. how many dwarven warriors went to school? a barbarian warrior saying Fantabulous? i doubt it.

stick to yer guns.

Erylis Oberon Erythis .. Thank you Oberon For all.
(mysticism IS cool)
stuff.
Branthur
Sojourner

Re: self taught

Postby Branthur » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:04 pm

kanenan wrote: besides.. how many dwarven warriors went to school?

Umm...actually in most clans all dwarves are schooled until 23 years of age, when they reach their "teen" years. Then they are apprenticed into their future jobs until they're done with their training.

Not a whole lot has been said about Clan Duergar unfortunately, mainly because it was such a poorly thought out idea from TSR that has a lot of potential. I'd guess as far as schooling goes Duergar would be about the same..maybe a bit less time since because of where they live they need their young to reach adulthood a bit more swiftly. That's just a guess though.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”