Looking for Lilira

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Gurns
Sojourner

Looking for Lilira

Postby Gurns » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:02 pm

Things had been very odd indeed. Lahgen had angrily accussed Lilira of being a spy, and tried to kill her. Artikerus had posted a Wanted poster, seeking Teflor's death, some missionary's death, and Lilira's capture. But while there was a reward for the first two, there was no reward for the last. What did that mean?

I tried talking to Lahgen, but he wasn't making much sense. According to him, Lilira had claimed to be working for what she called the Fellowship, which I'd never heard used as a term before but seemed to refer to our side. Or was it Lahgen who coined that term? Anyway, he thought she didn't explain herself well enough, so that obviously meant she was a traitor. Where has he been all his life? If I had a plat for everyone who's lied to me, tried to make themselves sound more important than they are... Well, if I did, then I wouldn't have to hire out my talents to write songs praising them, and making them sound more important than they are!

And Artikerus? I haven't seen the old fellow for quite a while, and what was he doing sticking up warrants for the arrest of people who might be in the Calimshan Desert, or the Forest of Tethir, or Viperstongue, or Havensport, or other parts of the surface down south? I hadn't known his realm extended to all those places.

It seemed best to try to talk to Lilira. Oh, I could have tried talking to Teej, but if she knew that Lilira was working for our side, she wouldn't tell me. Teej knows something about security and secrecy. And if Lilira wasn't working for our side, Teej wouldn't tell me either, because mis-information can be as valuable as information, in the right place. And if Teej didn't know, there wasn't any point in asking her!

So I left a few discrete messages. Here with a bard, there in a tavern. One in a supply shop, another with a few street urchins. Eventually one found its way to her, and she sent a reply.

I left the amulet in safe-keeping, of course. I mean, if she really was a traitor, there was no point in handing them the victory.

We met at Jenna's, by her choice. An odd place, since it isn't all that safe there, but perhaps she was being subtle by being unsubtle. Or something.

I didn't see her around until I entered the washroom. Well, it's called a washroom but it's really a dressing room. I wasn't exactly sure what Lilira was doing there, she was mostly hidden behind a screen, but I bowed gracefully and backed out quickly. She came out blushing.

We eventually ended up in Jenna's bedroom. Lilira wanted a quiet place to talk, and every other room was full. Lilira even asked Jenna if we could use the room.

Lilira closed the door, then looked around the room and blushed. She said, "Jenna said not to...nevermind." And blushed again.

I chuckled and said "Make a few passes at an innkeeper, and look what it does to my reputation."

As I hoped, Lilira giggled. I haven't actually made any passes at Jenna, or any other innkeeper for that matter. Just good policy. If they're offended, you're tossed out in the cold, and if they accept, they expect you to sing for free!

"Speaking of reputations..." I added, peering at her.

She ignored my hint. "I can't believe you would seek me out."

"No?" I asked. "You seem very important recently."

"I'm not so important," she said, "and I've heard you have other things to keep you busy."

I nodded. "I have a few things I take care of, but perhaps you're becoming one of them."

She looked off to the side, and shrugged.

I specified. "That message King Arti is sending about. Mentioning Teflor, and a missionary. And you."

She sighed.

I added, "You also managed to get Lahgen quite annoyed with you. Well, he's easily annoyed, but not so much so that he strikes out at people. I don't know whether to worry, or to commend you. But I thought I would like to hear your side of the story.'

She rummaged in her bag. "Cookie?" she asked, holding out a fruit-filled cookie.

I accepted. Even if it was poisoned, it wouldn't do me much harm, and that would answer my questions, wouldn't it? It was delicious, and not poisoned.

I offered her some of my wine, but she demurred. Probably for the best, cookies with wine is an acquired taste.

We chatted a bit. After a few inconsequentials, I reminded her. "As I said, I'm interested in your side of the story."

She frowned slightly. "What most concerns me, is I don't know what you know," she said. "And I'm not sure how much I can tell you."

"Well, I know a great deal about the overall background," I assured her. "But nothing about you or Teflor or the missionary."

She nodded. Evaded answering for a while by eating a cookie. Having a drink of water.

Then she said "But I notice you keep, erm, company with Teej?"

I nodded. "Yes, we're quite close. But she doesn't tell me everything. I think it's a security measure, just in general."

Well, and then didn't we have a nice little chat. About security, and how important it was, and keeping things secret was important. And staying unnoticed is important for security, too, yes, it is. And not talking about secrets in public places, and looking out for people who might be listening in.

OK, she is avoiding telling me anything. Hmm, some way, some lever to move her...

Then she said, "I have become unaccustomed to watching out for others." And looked at the floor. "These last years I've had no reason to. Even among my guild, I walk mostly alone."

Ordinarily I'd be delighted to have a lovely lady tell me all about herself. This time, was it just another way to avoid my questions? But it was her tale, let her tell it.

I nodded encouragingly. "Not an uncommon path for a bard."

A shadow passed over her face. "If I walk alone, I only have to worry about my safety. Feel only the pain of my defeats. And never again have to feel the pain of losing someone."

She stopped, and looked at me warily.

So I pulled some rations out of my bag, and made a face at them.

She grinned, and gave me another cookie.

So we talked about food and drink a bit. I tried to steer the conversation back to my concerns, but she again deflected it, although this time at least it ended up being somewhat related.

She worried that rumors of her "betrayal" might follow her. I dismissed the notion, although her constant evasions were doing nothing to convince me of her loyalty. Nor of her treachery, for that matter. The hints she was dropping of her loyalty were obvious, but were they too obvious? Without something else, I wasn't convinced, either way.

But the rumors worried her. Though not just rumors, of course. She sighed, and said "Unfortunately, this rumor is assisted by a Warrant, signed by a King."

"A King who barely can keep his own throne," I reminded her. Uneasy is the head that wears a crown, and that goes a dozen times for the duergar.

I shrugged. "I doubt this warrant changes much." After all, as Duna had pointed out, it offered no reward for Lilira's capture or death.

"So the next one just might add me to the reward pot." Lilira shivered. "That man makes me nervous."

I said, "Who? Articacklemoose? Makes you nervous?"

She nodded.

"Why?" Really, Artikerus isn't all that dangerous. Unless you're a bottle of ale, or a juicy steak.

"I've met him once," she said. "Lets just say... he wasn't the most... Mellow of people. And I'm not so old that death threats sit well with me..."

She shivered again.

"Arti threatened you? The cad!" I exclaimed. "What happened?"

She demurred again. Damn it. "I'm not sure I should elaborate," she said.

"No?" I said, "A bard with a tale, and not to tell it? I'm shocked, simply shocked."

No, not really. She had managed to say nothing so far. Except I knew she liked cookies.

She nodded, decision made. "I have a tale, but now is not the time to share it."

What could I say? "As you wish, of course."

I did add, with a smile, "Don't think I haven't noticed, noticed and admired, how neatly you've avoided telling me anything."

She blushed again, and looked down. "I don't know what I can."

Well, I knew. "Something about Teflor? And the missionary?"

As you might guess, we talked about other things. Lodgings and homes and being a bard.

After a while, I gave up. I had no lever to move her. Oh, if she truly were working for us, then I could claim Teej or Tida or Lord P himself had told me so. But I couldn't back it up, if she demanded proof, and this matter wasn't yet important enough to risk being caught in the lie.

I said, "Since you still won't tell me a tale, perhaps I should tell you one."

She blushed again. Yes, lady, your skin is so pale, you blush so easily. So often. And so your blushes could mean anything. Anything or nothing. "I don't mean to be evasive," she said.

"Oh, yes you do," I said, and smiled. "No one could be nearly that evasive without meaning to." I always admire a good performance. It wasn't flawless, but I still didn't know whether she was on our side or theirs or in the middle, and that means it was more than good enough, doesn't it?

She bit her lip nervously. "I wish to make one request of you..."

"And what is that?"

"Think well of me... No matter what news may come to your ears. It may help."

I smiled at her. "I try to think well of bards, and of lovely ladies, and since you are both, that should be easy."

She blushed again. "I am not lovely," she said.

No? I'm not blind, lady. And you are striking. Much like a snow elf, but with the human touch. Slender but strong. For you to pass unnoticed must take much skill.

"Permit me to contradict you," I said.

She shook her head. "I am... different. People being kind may say exotic. But I am not lovely."

Odd. Most odd. "Perhaps I should write an ode to your loveliness, that you might see yourself properly. But I have a tale to tell, so that will have to wait."

She nodded, and sat down to listen.

"It seems that a small group of people saw Khelben, just the other day. Saw him, even spoke to him, can you imagine? Why, it's been centuries since I last saw him, and then only because I had snuck into his tower."

Lilira blinked. "Centuries?"

Yes, I don't look it, do I? "The wonders of modern necromancy, m'dear."

She nodded, but shivered unconsciously. Something there, but it was time for my story, now.

"So, a group of people met and talked with Khelben. It seems he had little to say. But what did he mention?"

I pretended to think.

"Ah yes, yes. He mentioned the missionary. It seems that Auzorm'tvorl's missionary has greatly disrupted a city or two here in the south."

Lilira bit her lip, then said, "I have heard he had been seen outside of Baldur's Gate. To the north of it."

I nodded, and continued. "Khelben didn't say. But what he did say was that it would be good to counter the tales....I guess they would be sermons, wouldn't they? Spread by the missionary."

"But here's the curious thing. Khelben failed to say what those were."

I trust you take my point, lady.

She sighed. Ah, good. And just so you don't think I brought that up accidentally...

"It's too bad I haven't heard the missionary preach, nor has any I know. Well, there was that one group. But they tied him up, I don't imagine he did a lot of preaching then."

Actually, from what I hear, he did do a little preaching there at the monolith. But certainly not enough to understand his message well enough to counter it.

Lilira nodded slowly.

"By the way, have you seen the monoliths? Or, ahem, heard my tales of them?"

She said, "Three. The ones in the snow, the desert, and the weeds. And heard your tales."

I nodded. "The monoliths themselves are more compelling, though my tales do well enough. And you saw the three visions in each?"

She nodded, and shivered. Yes, lady, the visions are frightening.

Especially one. One that makes me as cold as her shivers suggest, although I wasn't about to let her see that. But I let some of the grey and ice seep into my voice. "There is one vision that shows the elves, preparing to leave this world as they came to it." An almost peaceful vision, and all the more dreadful for it. "As they leave, they look to the east, across the ocean. And what do they see?"

I stopped. And waited.

She thought, and swallowed. "Fires."

I nodded.

She said, "The Mainland burning."

I nodded again, and my voice was grim. "That is what Auzorm'tvorl brings."

I added, "And those who support him." And spat over my shoulder. No, no spitting directly at her feet wasn't necessary. She understood me well enough.

She nodded. "The visions are overwhelming. And painful."

I switched to a light, carefree tone. "Yes, altogether a most distressing tale. It's too bad more haven't seen the monoliths. Or no one would support Auzorm'tvorl. Nor his missionary. Knowing that is what Auzrom'tvorl brings, that is what is important. And reason enough to do anything necessary to prevent it."

She agreed. "Anything."

Well, she certainly wasn't going to disagree with me, now was she?

"Well, I've taken much of your time," I said. "You should leave first, so we are not seen together." I didn't quite push her out of the room.

I sat for a few hours before I left, practicing and thinking.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:02 pm

I allowed a sigh to escape my lips as I sat on my bed in the rooms I had taken to hiding in.

In one hand I held the pieces of parchment that had been sent to me detailing the story Gurns had written.

The rest of my body was huddled defensively around my lyre, my hair falling like a silver curtain around me.

I laid both aside, the parchment to be destroyed later, and tucked my feet up, hugging my knees and dropping my forehead wearily against them. This could kill me or make things easier. Once again I must take up the dance, tangling everyone in words and half-truths.

Tears coursed down my face, as a moment of loneliness and dread overcame me. I allowed myself a moment to wallow in my emotions. A moment only, was all I could spare for myself.

If Teflor hears tell of this story, or my meeting with Cirath, more shadows would have to be woven.

Cirath.

I had heard tales of him, and after seeing him in the flesh, the stories were not even near to the mark. Even now, the memory of last night causes me to shiver in reaction. I saw my end in his eyes, if only someone had made it worth his while. Otherwise I wasn’t worth the death blow.

I had never danced faster in my short life. He asked me his questions, circling in ever tighter like my partner in a country dance. A little sloppy with the steps I was, almost not able to keep up.

My answers had seemed to satisfy him for the moment and he allowed me to depart, exhausted and terrified. I hope to never see him again, but something within tells me I shall once again have that torment.

I know not what it was Lahgen sought from me, but he stepped from the shadows as I huddled in a ball shivering from reaction where my legs had collapsed. He warned me about Cirath, as if I had needed that warning. I stumbled clumsily to my feet, avoiding his helping hand, and staggered like a drunk back to my rooms, caring not if anyone followed. Upon reaching my chambers, I had locked the doors and passed out into the sweet bliss of sleep. My dreams were filled with the images of two dancers. One building webs with her steps and the other unweaving as quickly.

The webs I weave may capture me yet. I am not so great a sacrifice, but I worry about the others that depend on me.

For the first time in many years, I prayed. Please gods, do not let me fail.
Last edited by Lilira on Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Re: Looking for Lilira

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:14 pm

Gurns wrote:Artikerus had posted a Wanted poster, seeking Teflor's death, some missionary's death, and Lilira's capture. But while there was a reward for the first two, there was no reward for the last. What did that mean?

Well knowing Arti... a death threat, a dozen roses... no diff.

Better dig out your zills, Lilira, because that's positively courting behavior for the Underdark version of the blue-tongued skink.

By the way Gurns, very well done.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Lilira
Sojourner

Re: Looking for Lilira

Postby Lilira » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:03 am

Ashiwi wrote:
Gurns wrote:Artikerus had posted a Wanted poster, seeking Teflor's death, some missionary's death, and Lilira's capture. But while there was a reward for the first two, there was no reward for the last. What did that mean?

Well knowing Arti... a death threat, a dozen roses... no diff.

Better dig out your zills, Lilira, because that's positively courting behavior for the Underdark version of the blue-tongued skink.

By the way Gurns, very well done.

Can't be.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:21 pm

Feh.

Everyone has such a high opinion of me:P Thanks Ashiwi;)
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:48 am

He watched from a dark corner after leaving the girl cowering in the street. He was almost certain she wasn’t telling the truth, though her fear was real enough. It didn’t matter though. The truth isn’t what he wanted, not at the moment at least, her fear was. Fear is a useful tool, it makes people careless, and careless people spill secrets sooner or later, whether they want to or not.

Cirath wasn’t surprised when Lahgen stepped out of his hiding place. The boy wasn’t very good at staying out of sight. If he hadn’t wanted anyone to see the discussion, he wouldn’t have had it in the middle of the street. Lilira recoiled at the other bard’s appearance. Yes, if she wasn’t truly frightened, then she was far more cautious than most people.

The human spoke, to softly to hear, but Cirath could guess what was being said. The boy was nothing if not predictable. The exchange didn’t last long, and the two soon parted. As they passed out of sight, the assassin smiled a knowing smile and murmured to himself.

“That’s one and two. Now, who’s next?”

A light breeze caught the tail of his cloak as he disappeared into the night.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”