Not quite a resurrection....

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Lilira
Sojourner

Not quite a resurrection....

Postby Lilira » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:52 am

I walked through the ruins, still edgy despite my cloak of invisibility. Much had happened in the past few days, including my own murder. For once, the man implicated was innocent. His actions towards me had made him the perfect target for everyone’s regard. I am terrified of the day we meet again and I must face his anger. I only hope one of two things; I will not be alone, or he will be so angry he’ll kill me swiftly. The likelihood of the second is very small, so I must place my hopes on the first.

My nose itched at the ash my caped form stirred in passing as I flitted from shadow to shadow in this dying city. I had heard there were efforts to rebuild this dark place, but at this time, the streets were almost deserted. Who would think to search for a dead bard in a city filled with the stench of death? Cautiously, I stole into the ruined tavern, and stepped into the shadows to wait.

While I awaited my visitor I thought back on the events that had brought me here.

Months ago I had taken on tasks. They seemed simple enough to one unaccustomed to intrigue. That meeting with Tida seemed so long ago. I had written much of the events surrounding me since that day, but many I held to myself, aching like an old wound.

I had managed to botch something somewhere and had paid the price. My battered body still ached occasionally in the chill air. In an effort to keep myself safe for a short time longer, it had become necessary for people to believe I was dead. I wondered if I had missed a detail somewhere.

I had left my meeting with Teej, my heart heavy. This odd woman, the knight of an evil goddess, gruff, yet occasionally tender. Her gift to me of her steed’s invisible presence to guard my dreams merely added another depth to the multi-faceted gem she is.

I had interrupted a meeting she was in. Ticarios’s acknowledgement of my presence was cool as he took his leave, and I felt saddened by it. I had unintentionally injured his pride, by swatting away his offered hand. I could not reveal, especially to one completely unknown to me, my position. I had played a part to one who had made his intentions clear, and insulted his honor. This too must be healed.

My news to Teej had both infuriated her and had filled her with contrition. My indignities had been suffered under her leadership. I had protested vehemently, telling her I had not wished to burden her further. The news she growled to me froze my soul. What little control she had over the problem was to be severed, preferably at the shoulders. I spoke quietly of my concerns and was given advice on how to handle myself. Frightened, I could not be satisfied, but would burden neither her nor her advisors with it further. As their talk of plans swirled around me, I felt like a log caught in a stream and my attention would not focus. I was too busy moping selfishly about my plight. Hey,, I’m human, well partly. Elves are really good at inopportune bouts of pouting too. Ask anyone.

Once the meeting broke up, I snuck out of Waterdeep and headed east. My voice was still raspy, so I played my song and it seemed to work. I traveled far, in the direction of Zhentil Keep. It was on that road an idea began to grow in the back of my head but I had to get help. I returned to Waterdeep and sent a message to Axater.

He appeared out of nowhere, as was his habit. Popping in on a nervous bard isn’t as bad as popping in on anyone else I suppose. He listened carefully as I outlined my idea.

A few hours later we stood next to a horribly mangled corpse of, well, me. It was an eerie feeling seeing myself dead, right down to the mark on my shoulder. I had attempted to copy the handwriting of a note I had, and it would do for a prop. With Axater’s continued aid, we managed to drop the body right in the Market Square, hidden by his magics. Axater whisked himself away so he could be the one to find it. I left town after arranging to have a quiet message sent.

I waited at the meeting site, tucked into the shadows. A dark-haired man entered the ruined tavern, his horse following. Inwardly I chuckled. The horse acted more like a dog sometimes.

“You are alone,” I asked in a whisper, still cloaked in my invisibility. He peered around looking for the source of the voice.

“I am,” he stated, resting his hand on the pommel of his sword. I faded into visibility and pushed my hood back, shaking my silver hair free. His momentary look of shock told me my ruse had worked.

“You’re dead. I saw the body,” he said. Shock had been replaced with his normal stony expression.

“The rumors of my demise were exaggerated sir,” I told him. His eyes flitted over the healing marks on my face. I had some groveling to do but wasn’t sure how to go about it.

“Why would you feel it necessary to counterfeit your death,” he asked. It was a good question, and one I could finally answer. I explained everything that had happened to me in the last few months. Well almost. A girl has to have some secrets after all. But everything I explained seemed to satisfy him. He had one final question for me.

“Who do you side with Lady,” meeting my gaze directly.

“The Alliance, as I have from the beginning,” I stated matching his gaze. He relaxed minutely.

“This pleases me more than I can say. There are battle plans to be made.” He outlined the plans he had been working on. He would lead the priest to the monolith. An ambush was to occur on the way up. My place in the plan? Simply to stay out of the way. I was ‘dead’ now, so I had some time.

I tucked myself back into the shadows. Ticarios had told me he was waiting for two others to arrive, but not who. I was apprehensive, but for once, I simply trusted.

I was more than a little surprised when a large troll walked in. He peered around as though sensing my presence, but didn’t look very hard. Ticarios nodded to him in greeting.

“Troll,” he said. I rolled my eyes, carefully hidden in the shadows. They spoke for a while, speaking of inconsequential things. I began to ache from holding still so long. “We’re still waiting on Lady Teej,” Ticarios said to the troll, who nodded. They continued conversing, the troll answering in short, direct phrases, and just about the time I thought I would fall over, the lady knight entered, nightmare in tow. Ticarios got right to the point. He nodded at my shadowy corner and I stepped out.

Lady Teej strode forward and wrapped me in her armored embrace, surprised, I actually returned it.

I had left the relative safety of the dead city and traveled toward the north. Ticarios had taken my place as guide to the priest, taking with him Fen Shadowhawk a warrior of the barbarian tribes, Sotana the druidess and the traitor Sonon.

I had tucked myself away, and received the word the deed was done. The Vile One’s priest was dead. Sonon was dead. As agreed, I traveled to the hostel north of Waterdeep, and quietly entered among the chaos of jubilation. Good and evil races stood together in easy camaraderie, laughing and congratulating each other on their victory. It was a sight for these exhausted eyes. Sotana noticed me in the shadows first. She looked at me for a moment before abandoning all her normal reserve and bounding across the room screeching my name. Heads turned to watch the druid shove her way past people. Her hug shocked me and it was a full minute before I returned her gesture. Ticarios softened long enough to smile at me, before returning to his normally stoic expression. I was battered with questions, faster than I could answer them. I caught odd looks from a few, but ignored them. There would be time later for tales, now it was time for a party.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”