Shadowed Pacts - (For Kanenan) :)

Campaign-Related Roleplay Information

Moderators: Shar, Auril, Eilistraee

Nilan
Sojourner

Shadowed Pacts - (For Kanenan) :)

Postby Nilan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:44 am

This story is one that I had been meaning to post. I apologize to Kanenan most of all for not posting it sooner, but had I done so things would not have been too good (for me and perhaps the alliance). But I will let you all form your own opinions. *snicker*

So I dedicate this story to Kanenan, who without his willingness none of this would have been possible. Thanks bro. And again sorry for the delay.

PS. Just remember the ranger motto. "Ask questions first, shoot later"
*wink*

See you online bro, here hoping for some rp adventure.

Nilan

===========================================

Nilan’s hand closed around the thick parchment he had penned several moons ago. Groaning in anger he thrust the crumpled paper into the folds of his shadowed cloak. His mind racing as he recalled the information gleaned from several sources. Dark pacts supposedly made by high ranking members of the Tel’Quessir. Growling venomously, the assassin once again took out the crumpled parchment and read it. Though the words stood out as plain as day, the drow refused to believe what was written on the parchment. The elves were an essential piece in winning the war against Auzorm’tvorl, and Nilan couldn’t believe that they were secretly pulling out.

Again the drow read the parchment that was recovered from the slain emissary of Auzorm’tvorl.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

To Whom it May Concern...

I, Lord Wemiluay of Evermeet, hereby declare that the Tel'Quessar will
remain apart from the battle on the plane of Astral when given the signal by
your representative. In exchange, we anticipate your assistance of disposing
of certain enemies to those lands claimed by our people, as cited in the
documents prepared by the staff of Her Majesty Queen Amlaruil.

It is understood that this document will be safely guarded, as there are those
who would feel we have gone against our word. The word of the Tel'Quessar is
law, as all who know us understand.

Most sincerely,

A very elaborate seal depicting a falcon against a willow tree is embossed in purple wax
below the long flowing script.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Nilan pondered thinking back on what he had discovered. The seal used was traced back to the Willowfeather clan or some such old line of elves. The fact that it no longer existed in today’s realms lead the assassin to consider the supposed pact made between Tel’Quessir and agent of Auzorm’tvorl to be a forgery.

But the assassin was concerned. It did not take much to read between the lines and discern who the “supposed Tel’Quessir” referred to in the penned statement “we anticipate your assistance of disposing of certain enemies to those lands claimed by our people, as cited in the documents prepared by the staff of Her Majesty Queen Amlaruil”. Nilan groaned as he though about his people, his lands, Vhaeraun’s temple in the dark surface forest of Mir. Visions of the desert monolith flashed through his mind, particular of the destruction of Dobluth Kyor and his people. Nilan had to be sure.

He recalled the day that he had spoken to the ranger Kanenan up near Waterdeep in the tent outside the eastern gate. The assassin knew the ranger was Tel’Quessir and boldly decided to seek information about the “so called pact” from a reliable source. What better source than a Tel’Quessir himself, Nilan had reasoned. What he discovered that day corroborated the fact that he and several other members of the dark races were marked as “undesirables” in a Tel’Quessir pact. Nilan also learned that this pact was indeed made, as the ranger had informed him. When Nilan had pressed further, he learned from Kanenan that at the time the pact was made the ranger claimed that the Tel’Quessir did not realize they were dealing with an agent of the Vile One. The Elven Queen was not present at the signing of this pact between the agent and the Tel’Quessir. At least that was what was told to him. Whether or not that was true, the assassin could not be sure. But what was certain, was that a pact had indeed been made. And that such a pact could indeed affect the outcome of the war should the Tel’Quessir pull out. The assassin was not about to let that happen.

Day’s past and Nilan spent much time, in the shadowed walls of Vhaeraun’s temple, pondering what he had learned and weighing the gravity of the situation. Pacts within pacts, treachery within treachery, and a very real possibility that the elves would pull out of this war in exchange for the destruction of Dobluth Kyor, key cities in the underdark, and the capture and/or assassinations of himself and several others. For days Nilan considered his options, and the path he must take. Shadows surrounded him and he was given his answer. He knew what he had to do….-Expose the forged pact between the Tel’Quessir and agent of Auzorm’tvorl. Not only to those allied in fighting the war against Auzorm’tvorl but also to the very heart of Evermeet herself. Deliver the body of the Tel’Quessir present at the signing of the pact as proof of the deception. Do what ever was necessary to insure that the elves did not pull out of this war.-…

Nilan pondered his assignment. He knew it had to be carried out ever so delicately. If he had any involvement in the assassination of the Tel’Quessir, it would send waves of turmoil into the very core of the already tenuous established Strike Force team allied to destroy Auzorm’tvorl. No…he knew he could not have the blood of the ranger on his hands directly. The alliance was too important. But then there was Teflor, a ranger that desired to attempt to infiltrate the ever growing cult of the Vile One’s missionary priest. Nilan had in fact given him a way inside. Perhaps there was a way to extract a favor owed.

Nilan and Teflor had met in secret in Balder’s Gate. Teflor demanded that the missionary be assassinated. Though things had been happening that were beyond his control, the assassin had lost his hold on his spy. Yet Nilan accepted that he was responsible for whatever actions occurred as it was he who had helped place Teflor in that position. The drow looked upon the ranger with both growing ire and caution. Nilan recalled briefly the conversation the two had many months ago. The ranger desired the missionary assassinated and demanded Nilan complete the job. Nilan seized the opportunity regarding the Tel’Quessir.

“A life for a life, ranger,” was what he had said. “Bring me the body of the ranger known as Kanenan, and consider your missionary dead shortly thereafter.”

“What do you take me for, assassin!” Teflor demanded, “That I would kill a fellow ranger.”

Nilan had merely shrugged. “Do you desire to win this war, Teflor? If you do, then bring me his body. The death of one to perhaps save many is an acceptable loss. And in return, I will honor my pact to you regarding this missionary.”

More words were exchanged and the two parted. They had no further contact with each other until the body was delivered to the drow in Balder’s Gate. “You’ll have your missionary,” was all the assassin said as a portal opened for him. Groaning, he dragged the elven corpse through.

Nilan bowed low before Vhaeraun’s High Priest and placed the body of the elf on the blackened altar of his god. Raising “Shadow” to the Night Sky, the assassin uttered a prayer of offering. “Vhaeraun. Senger d' Barra's, ja'hai nindol offering. Whol dosst Ib'ahalii Usstan kla'ath. Xal nindyn nindel orn'la chi' udossa tlu belbaunin vel'bol nind rytho'le.”

Kneeling before the altar, the Hand of Vhaeraun, made his offering in prayer. Shadows swirled about the corpse, faster and faster, darker and darker, until it was no more. The offering was accepted.

Nilan remained in the shadowed halls of the temple deep in meditation.

“Whol dosst Ib'ahalii, Ussta Senger”
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:21 am

Okay, this is going back a bit. This matches the time line Nilan put forth, and trust me Kanenan, I was as confused as you!!!!

Here goes.

Lil

I sat at the fountain in Waterdeep, singing a song and keeping my eyes open, when Teflor approached me. My eyes widened in surprise as he himself had told me he wasn’t welcome in town.

“I need your help,” the ranger told me. He was not quite staggering, as though carrying a heavy weight. I raised an eyebrow in question. “I need your song to get to Baulder’s Gate to make a delivery.” I shrugged, gathered my gear, and headed for the southern gates. We waited until nightfall so I could sneak us out. Once through the gates, I began my song, and we began our trip.

We arrived in Baulder’s Gate, and I followed Teflor to the docks, surprised at our destination. He paused as though waiting for something, and I stood in silence.

The shadows moved, and the Hand of Vhaeraun stepped before the ranger. I stifled a gasp, and felt his gaze pierce me for a moment, before redirecting it to Teflor.

“My task is complete,” Teflor told the drow, pulling to my surprise, a body out of his magic bag. All I saw as it was dropped at Nilan’s feet, was that it was elven. As I stood gaping, Teflor continued. “Remember your promise drow.”

With that, he grasped my elbow and pulled me away, reaching the Three Kegs before I stammered the first of my unanswered questions.

Like many things, it was something that never made sense.

Return to “RP-Quest Discussion”