phpBB Questions

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner

phpBB Questions

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:22 pm

So I opened my big mouth at work and suggested that we start up a bulletin board for our command. Military rule #1: Make a suggestion, prepare to do all of the work. So I need to know about requirements to set one up. How much memory is required, is there any problem putting it on an intranet with no access to the web? Anything you gurus can offer up is awesome as I have to have a proposal ready for the Skipper in a week.
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:40 pm

The cheapest system you can build a phpBB box is with Linux (OS), PHP (app engine), Apache (webserver) and MySQL (db). And of course, phpBB (which can be found at http://www.phpBB.com).

If you're on a Microsoft contract, then using Win2k Server and IIS as the OS and the webserver is fine.

If it's just for intranet use, a low-end server setup is sufficient, unless you're using the same server for other kinds of uses (print server, file server, etc).

It's very easy to setup, but make sure that you take a look at the features out-of-the-box and it has all that your superiors are asking for, else you may need to add 'mods' to the standard setup (file attachment mod, photo album mod, etc.)

Feel free to ask for more specific stuff, this is just off the top of my head.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Someone
Sojourner

Postby Someone » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:56 am

Search the web for LAMP (Linux/Apache/Mysql/Php)
Stick that on a nice box in under a day if you've done shit like that before, if not expect to take close to forever :twisted:
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:55 pm

Is it feasible to run phpBB off of any existing server? We have a Microsoft portion of the network as well as a UNIX side.

I guess I need you to dumb it up a little bit for me and toss me a step by step or laundry list of what would be requried.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:24 am

jake you made second yet??

-AE1
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:20 pm

I test next spring but you know how CT exams are. I have a perefct PMA, and 1 award point (I have a NAM coming in a month so 3 at test time). I feel bad for you guys who actually have to cut an 80 or something to advance. BTW, I should chat with you about where I want to be stationed next. Do you have a SIPR account or official account through your command at least?

-CTR3
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:30 pm

Gormal wrote:I test next spring but you know how CT exams are. I have a perefct PMA, and 1 award point (I have a NAM coming in a month so 3 at test time). I feel bad for you guys who actually have to cut an 80 or something to advance. BTW, I should chat with you about where I want to be stationed next. Do you have a SIPR account or official account through your command at least?

-CTR3

just to translate the acronyms:

CT = Cold Testicle

PMA = Pulling Mast Award

NAM = Number of Available Men

SIPR = Secret Internet Poop Receptical

CTR3 = Circular Turbine Rim

Go navy!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:48 am

just like the ??army? to try to figure out the hard stuff ... all brawn .. no brains

whee :)

*lick* Ens
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:26 pm

All Army acryonymns break out to the following:

"Hooah."

Thank you drive through meatheads.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:15 pm

PHPbb is probably the best solution I can think of for anyone who is using the following and has them already installed and configured and working:

Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP

If you do not have this already in place, then its going to be a pain (doesn't have to be, but likliehood is it will be.)

What type of webserver are you currently running, do you have PHP support for it, database support?

There are probably other bulletin board systems that may be faster and easier to setup if you do not have LAMP. Google search.

If you are really stuck, but really needed this, don't fret it is really easy to setup, but you have a lot to learn ahead of you.

Let us know what your current situation is and we can probably help more.

Wobb
Ebgar
Sojourner

Postby Ebgar » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:53 pm

Gormal, I want you to command me.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:27 am

Ensis wrote:PMA = Pulling Mast Award
Go navy!

Jake would obviously have excelled at this.
BEER
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:23 am

Gormal wrote:All Army acryonymns break out to the following:

"Hooah."

Thank you drive through meatheads.

How little you know squid. Hooah is an abbreviation, unlike someones obvious rip-off "hoo-yah"

airborne all the way, biatch.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:36 pm

Well what could Hooah abbreviate? Hooah______. Perhaps you mean that its an acronymn? I've heard that line of crap about Oorah, hoorah, hooah, all of it. Just give it up and accept that jumping out of planes has slammed your brain into your skull one too many times! When you coming back to Portland wuss?
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:36 am

Gormal wrote:Well what could Hooah abbreviate? Hooah______. Perhaps you mean that its an acronymn? I've heard that line of crap about Oorah, hoorah, hooah, all of it. Just give it up and accept that jumping out of planes has slammed your brain into your skull one too many times! When you coming back to Portland wuss?

It's not an acronym..sorry bish, gotta be a swinging dick to understand it.
I been in Portland since last october.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:32 am

I should chat with you about where I want to be stationed next.

Gormal wants to be stationed in Muspelheim. Can someone arrange that for him?
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:28 am

Ensis wrote:
Gormal wrote:Well what could Hooah abbreviate? Hooah______. Perhaps you mean that its an acronymn? I've heard that line of crap about Oorah, hoorah, hooah, all of it. Just give it up and accept that jumping out of planes has slammed your brain into your skull one too many times! When you coming back to Portland wuss?

It's not an acronym..sorry bish, gotta be a swinging dick to understand it.
I been in Portland since last october.

What does this thread have to do with wife-swapping anyhow? :p

Go guard! *duck*

T
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:52 pm

Dugmaren tells you 'Next stop, Muspelheim!'

Someone demands your prescence now!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”