tragic irony

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Daz
Sojourner

tragic irony

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:30 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 2GM5K1.DTL

i spend so much time being proud to be an american, and there are times like this when i can't help but feel ashamed, as if we owe an apology to somebody who can't hear the words.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:42 pm

very sad, at least his family knows he is a hero ...

maybe that thought will help?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:49 pm

we come to america, the land of opportunity.

we work hard, we work honest, and we raise our children with values.

we send our child to fight in a war that we do not believe in because we are not wealthy.

our son puts his life on the line for 4 years for a better future.

when he returns, he is killed by a common thug who didn't like his music.

that killer either won't be caught or he will not be punished, or he won't care that he is punished.

our son is a hero.

where is the consolation?
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:54 pm

if ever i saw a case that warrants a more punishing criminal system, this is it. we need to stop babying people who have no values, and weed them out.

if a weed grows in your garden, do you teach it to be nice to the roses?

if your computer is infected do you teach windows to get along with the newest exploit?

if your son is killed, do you teach his killer to say 'im sorry' by writing it 1,000 times on a blackboard while you feed him and put a roof over his head and pay for his living expenses and medical needs?

what needs to happen is we need some Judge Dredd shit. some cop says 'hey, only joe blood can shoot this gun. this gun was used to shoot gi joe. according to our records, joe blood has this gun and is running southwards on 50th avenue.'

joe blood needs a bullet between the eyes, right there, cremate his body, and leave the ashes to cover dog shit on the sidewalk.

start treating crime like that and see how 'cool' it is to be a gangster in a decade. see how many people get impressed by how many foreigners their buddy can kill with a stolen gun.

lets kill the killers and have their supporters spend time in jail, and THEN dock their income, like child support, when they get out.
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:59 pm

Bring back public hangings!

What ever happened the texas rangers going after the bad guys into ol' mexico and shooting everyone of them?

What ever happened to police brutality to someone who resisit arrest? We can't hurt someone a little who's killed a dozen people. 'Careful watch you head as you get in the car, i'm sorry let me loosen your handcufs cause the might be to tight.'

I just wish people would actually start taking responsiblity for their actions, instead of just passing the blame.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'
You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'
Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'
You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.
Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:06 pm

Yup... and people ask why I'm all for the death penalty and harsh treatment for criminals. Just like the sniper trial going on now. Come on, do we really have to waste taxpayer dollars for a trail when its beyond obvious he is the guy?

Unfortunately you only have he bleeding heart liberals to thank for our current lack-of-justice system, where we coddle and try to help the murdering crack addicts and crazies instead of throwing them away in a nasty ass pounding prison.
Orku
Sojourner

Postby Orku » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:18 pm

I wanna see chain gangs on the side of the roads, with guards holding shotguns making sure those peices of sh*t work, if theyaren't being put to death.
Zissa OOC: 'orku i will go to class for you if you go to work for me'

You OOC: 'if you don't mind me going naked'

Zissa OOC: 'sure its a bunch of sailors'

You OOC: 'got screwed on that one'

Senosa gets a bright green pillow.

Senosa says 'Pillow fight.....'
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:07 pm

This is all nice and dandy until you are the poor schmuck who really didnt do it and they blow your head off because they think you did before even giving you a trial. Les go back to the dark ages M'kay?

-Pheten
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:28 pm

I'm talking about things with no doubt, like the snipers, or people who are cought red handed such as on video and with dna evidence.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:08 pm

The total number of prisoners under correctional supervision is currently 6.7 million.

Since 1977 the United States has executed 820 prisoners sentenced to death under current capital punishment restrictions.

There are 3,593 people currently awaiting execution, more than half of which have been waiting for over 6 years.

According to the most recent figures, 2.3% of Americans over the age of 12 are victims of violent crimes every year.

The United States Federal and Local governments spend in excess of $150,000,000,000.00 a year on criminal costs and expenses.

The cumulative budget for state correctional costs is greater than $30,800,000,000.00

In cities with a population greater than 10,000 individuals, there is an average of 2.57 paid police officials per 1,000 citizens.

The average entry level salary is $34,556, and for a sergeant, it is $50,541.

Government attorneys invest 11,318,000 hours each year in prosecuting criminals. I can’t find a chart that calculates that cost – but I doubt that prosecuting attorneys work cheap. This does not include defense counsel workloads. So add in court-appointed defenders and how much THEY spend protecting the criminals and include that.

Ok, the prosecuting cost works out to $4,680,000,000 dollars a year.

The Federal Prison occupation level is 139% - 100% means the prison is at maximum allocated population.

There are 2.9 inmates for every paid correctional employee.

100% of Federal Prisons have a taxpayer financed educational program, and 91.2% of all State Prisons have a taxpayer supported educational program for inmates, as well.

http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/1995/pdf/t111.pdf - Take a look at ‘where’ some of your money is going, bear in mind this is just a single division’s allocation of expenditures.

There is information like this all over the world, I used White House reports, U.S. DoJ publications, and various other Federal Statistical report locations to accumulate this information. Break it all apart though, and it all is here to illustrate just how much money we spend on our criminals.

In 1999 the Department of Education’s total discretionary budget was $33,500,000,000.
TOTAL

There are 3.5 million homeless people in the United States; 1.35 million of those are children.

On a single given night there exists between 500 and 750 thousand people that will not have a place to sleep. There are 8.5 million Americans that live in poverty.

This data was collected from the U.S. DoE and a special congressional report to congress, with various references cited therein.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:15 pm

http://www.princeton.com/~anhr/

i put a link up from there
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:13 pm

Your link doesn't work Daz... page not found.

I'd also like to note that I went through a similar discussion with people who were anti-death penalty and ended up showing it is quite a bit cheaper to administer the death penalty than it is to care for him through a life sentence.

Personally, I think prisons should have the prisoners work in some kind of profitable business that would pay for their own care while being imprisoned. I know in some places they make license plates, or clean highways and such... but I don't think the prisons really get much revenue from that. Something truly profitable, which would teach them a trade and allow them to save up money for when they were released from prison would be ideal... rather than stranging a guy on the street with nothing but what he went in with. That's just asking for a repeat offender, whether you educated him or not... heh.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “General Discussion Archive”